Page 103 of 384 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 3831

Thread: Coronavirus worries?

Re: Coronavirus worries?

Quote Originally Posted by jules321 View Post
    For the calmer ones on this site, how concerned would you be if you lived near a hospital where coronavirus patients were being quarantined?
    I already did! Even went to the hospital for a dr appt before knowing they were stationed there. They've been recovered and discharged a couple weeks ago so that no longer applies to me.

I got pretty worked up for a couple hours once I found out they were there and that I was there, but researched as much as I could and calmed down. I think that was what brought me to the thread in the first place, that feels like so long ago now lol, it was only a month.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Honestly, I wouldn't be particularly bothered, because that's the point of quarantine.

I'm sure I could get myself worked up into a panic if I read all the horror stories and thought obsessively about the "what ifs", but this isn't something that automatically trips my personal triggers, and I'm okay with that.

Quote Originally Posted by jules321 View Post
    For the calmer ones on this site, how concerned would you be if you lived near a hospital where coronavirus patients were being quarantined?
    Why would I be bothered when there are potentially people in houses in my street for 3 months a year with the flu? Remember unless you are elderly or in an at risk group, which I am, it's very likely to just mean a naff week feeling rough. I've had pneumonia on top of asthma and been hospitalised for a week just from going about normal life during the cold season.

Does anyone live within the blast radius of a nuclear power plant? Do you worry or do you trust the safety people to prevent a meltdown and the security services to prevent an act of terrorism?

The authorities may seem to go over the top but they have to keep our daily infrastructure running smoothly and any event that causes a surge in healthcare demand causes problems in putting extra strain on an already overworked system. Preventing that is well worth the short term pain over the costs and inconveniences of increased infection control measures.

It's not just about people getting ill, obviously it is in the case of the at risk groups, but about ensuring business as usual for all other illnesses and traumas aren't side tracked. And suddenly tens of thousands of extra workers calling in sick impacts on businesses and the supply chain. The currency value is impacted and this means selling for less abroad and less taxes collected.

When you consider all that you can understand why governments appear to be working as if the threat is worse than it is.

And I would disagree on stocking up on food too. Whilst it might seem prudent in the case of those who become ill it's worth remembering the chances of getting this virus right now are low. But if millions of people all start stocking up just in case it just causes problems for the supply chain. Maybe it's not so bad having a few days extra in as most people do but stocking up weeks of supplies will just cause supermarket shelves to empty until they respond to panic buying.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/m.jpo...pan-618866/amp

not one symptom and she’s in her 70’s. Now showing negative and has been released.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=632815860624821

For those who prefer an alternative take on coronavirus.
    hahaha that’s funny!

I know it's not funny for those truly affected by it in China and elsewhere but for those of us who have the luxury of being observers/viewers then I think it's ok to use humour as a way of counteracting the panic/overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Honestly, I wouldn't be particularly bothered, because that's the point of quarantine.

I'm sure I could get myself worked up into a panic if I read all the horror stories and thought obsessively about the "what ifs", but this isn't something that automatically trips my personal triggers, and I'm okay with that.
    It IS all about personal triggers and we all have those. You do have to try to be rational though no matter how hard it is. It doesn't help that there are so many sources of "news updates".

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    There's some history behind that propaganda ... https://london.ac.uk/about-us/histor...calm-and-carry
    Mind actually blown. Thank you so much for sharing, loving my new fact

Well, I have to say, I'm a little concerned, not so mcuh about me but my parents. We live together in a small bungalow in a town in Ireland down the country, and the first reported Coronavirus was a Northern Ireland woman who passed through Dublin, using public transport. What worries me, is the rate at which is consumed North Italy of two places, the numbers there are staggering. Their saying their is no unidentified cases here in Ireland yet, but how can we be so sure? That woman used public transport with a child as well, and those people won't know yet if they have it or not, and then pass it on.

This scares me because my mum is on Cosentyx for her Ankylosing Spondalitis and Psoratic Arthritis, she's 54. She's fairly healthy other than this, as when she was diagnosed her with this they did every blood test imaginable and others tests, even TB, all came back clear and her heart is super healthy for her age they said. Even being overweight, she doesn't have Cholestral problems. Then theirs my step-dad, he's 73 this year, he had an embolism to the brain a few years ago, so I worry with his age and his heart condition (he is on a lot of medications).

But I had a massive panic attack last night about them travelling to Dublin because of this, so they decided to do their shopping down in the county passed us, which I felt better them doing. What concerns me though, is how high of a risk if this is spreading silently or will become public soon here, with my mums immune suppresant treatment, how at risk she is? And my dad as well with his age, because every forum, reddit page, tv news show is making me feel like I'm in constant panic attack mode, not about myself, even though I could be at risk too, not sure if having Hypothyroidism puts me at risk, but definitely, DEFINITELY about my parents. I literally made them cover up with scarves, gloves and to constantly keepwashing their hands and if not, to use a small hand gel I'd given them. I won't deny, I'm very paranoid about things like this, innate due to my extreme phobia of health things.

Can I ask anyone here if they actually have really reliable sources that are giving factual based information on any websites that can be trusted? Their are places saying this has a 4-10x kill rate of the flu, 20% more of this or that, and that is shockingly frightening. Sorry for info dumping, but my concern is literally for my parents, because their immune systems are compromised, its all I've been thinking about.

They postponed the Italy v Ireland Rugby, but they still think people will come over anyway, and their not stopping people coming either. Then theirs St. Patrick's day, which sees half a million people coming to the City of Dublin (I never go because of the crowds anyway, its a anxious persons nightmare believe me), but should they cancel it? Stop people from areas where theirs large cases of the virus coming into Ireland? Would it be smarter to stop them before it could escalate? Just wanted to ask, in case theirs anyone here from Ireland beside me.

Afternoon, all.

Hope everyone is well. Just an update from me, living in my little seaside town I’d got myself in a state where I imagined the cities full of masked folk panic buying and spraying Dettol everywhere. Having just returned from a weekend in Cambridge and London I can confirm this is absolutely NOT the case. Didn’t see a single mask and life was very much going on as normal.

Page 103 of 384 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203 ... LastLast

Thread Information