Page 349 of 384 FirstFirst ... 249299339347348349350351359 ... LastLast
Results 3,481 to 3,490 of 3831

Thread: Coronavirus worries?

Re: Coronavirus worries?

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    [/B]

Probably a wise move Carys.

Despite that fact that BBC Newsround is centred around many issues mostly more relevant to younger people (as you stated), it is most certainly not 'dumbed down' in any way and probably presented in the least 'scariest' manner whilst at the same time trying to maintain a reasonable sense of perspective. Also, watching programmes like BBC Newsround and others within the same time-slot could very well provide a sense of comfort (especially in a 'nostalgic' sense) and be transported back to earlier times of childhood innocence, etc. And we shouldn't in any way feel ashamed or guilty over watching programmes aimed more at children and teenagers as fully-grown adults, despite all the 'Paedogeddon' scares over recent years, and fears of being wrongly judged, etc. Let's face it, I still watch many past children's programmes from my childhood on YouTube, such as 'The Sooty Show', 'Look And Read', and many others, and haven't come to any harm (sorry for digressing).
    I’m totally going to start watching watching all those old tv shows form my childhood now. Tracey beaker, mr bean etc. Used to do it when I was anxious and forgot how I much it helps. Hopefully this will help get me through the rest of lockdown. Don’t know why people have to be so judgmental about watching kids shows though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Totally unbelievable!!

Some people (of all age groups and from all walks of life) just like to think they're completely untouchable. Just like the typical stubborn long-term heavy smoker of about 50+ boasting 'I've smoked ever since I was 12 and it's never done me any harm'!! The same kind of mentality of (usually older) people who blatantly boast about being physically abused by the parents and teachers constantly as kids with the same old same old 'never did us any harm' hyperbole!!
    He’s still being difficult about this, would of thought with how out of hand it’s getting in the U.K. he would realise how important it is. He does wash his hands now but moans and swears about it. The smoking mentality was exactly what made him vulnerable in the first place. Before he gave up he was all like “I’ve smoked since 14 I’m fine” and then he’s diagnosed with COPD.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.t...s-caution/amp/

A data analysis expert telling us exactly what I’ve been trying to say for some time now.

According to this the true mortality rate is 0.3% in the UK, much less than is inflicted by seasonal influenza.

These are the types of numbers that everyone on this board should focus on, rather than the warped figures constantly ingrained into us by our media.
    Yes this is what I’ve been saying for a while now when people keep saying it’s deadlier than the flu. It very well could be but we aren’t testing everyone and haven’t been for long. Lots of people could do very well had it and recovered. Which means the percentage of fatilities would be much low. We don’t have all the numbers so we don’t know the truth. Or how deadly it really is

Sorry for being spammy tonight not had much else to do.

For those worried about getting it and have a severe case. It is mild in a lot of people. My great uncle was diagnosed and didn’t really realise he had it until they tested him as it was in the care home he works on. He had “cold like” symptoms for 10ish days. My great gran who is on her 80s also thinks she caught it from him others day. She’s okay and just had what felt like “a bad cold” for a few days.

There are also loads of article like this (not sure why they had to mention she’s a lesbian) that state mild symptoms. So not everything in the news is and, probably good to avoid it all together though -

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/03/1...lachlan-video/

I always have a cough anyway because of asthma but it does worry me while living with vulnerable people. It seems worse recently, not sure if it just I’m noticing it more with all this talk about covid 19 and the “cough” or if it’s like others have mentioned dry air from being stuck inside. I keep having to clear my throat and it feels dry...should I be worried?

Quote Originally Posted by anxious_dan View Post
    The weird thing about covid-19 seems to be how unpredictable it is. On the one hand, you go to the NHS website, and they tell you most people will get better at home without medical treatment. The advice seems to be 80% of people will have a relatively mild case - and it will involve a week , two weeks, maybe more of manageable symptoms.

But then on the other hand - are all the deaths, and the reports of severe cases where people wind up in ICU, or needing oxygen.
    It’s really not that unpredictable. 80% is probably quite a low estimate, there will be a lot of people who have symptoms so mild that they don’t even notice them. Then of course you have asymptomatic cases also.

The headlines will generally surround people who died or are seriously ill, this always gives the impression that this is common with this particular illness.

I personally know 3 people who were confirmed cases, one is 6 months pregnant and the other two are 50 years of age. All of them had very mild illnesses and, in fact, both 50 year olds experienced nothing more than loss of taste and smell. They both said they have had colds that were worse than this.

Yes, Covid-19 can turn nasty but it is still far far more likely that you’ll get a minor illness that disappears after a few days. You won’t make the headlines in that case, nobody does, so the tales of death and major illness come to the forefront and give a skewed interpretation of the facts.

The death rate of this illness is a lot lower than people think, again due to how it’s being calculated. When the numbers are eventually crunched with a lot more accuracy, I would bet my life savings that the actual death rate will be roughly the same as it is for a bad seasonal flu year.

Covid-19 absolutely should be taken seriously, but ensure you’re keeping an accurate perspective on it, because if you don’t you’ll simply start to panic.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    It’s really not that unpredictable. 80% is probably quite a low estimate, there will be a lot of people who have symptoms so mild that they don’t even notice them. Then of course you have asymptomatic cases also.

The headlines will generally surround people who died or are seriously ill, this always gives the impression that this is common with this particular illness.

I personally know 3 people who were confirmed cases, one is 6 months pregnant and the other two are 50 years of age. All of them had very mild illnesses and, in fact, both 50 year olds experienced nothing more than loss of taste and smell. They both said they have had colds that were worse than this.

Yes, Covid-19 can turn nasty but it is still far far more likely that you’ll get a minor illness that disappears after a few days. You won’t make the headlines in that case, nobody does, so the tales of death and major illness come to the forefront and give a skewed interpretation of the facts.

The death rate of this illness is a lot lower than people think, again due to how it’s being calculated. When the numbers are eventually crunched with a lot more accuracy, I would bet my life savings that the actual death rate will be roughly the same as it is for a bad seasonal flu year.

Covid-19 absolutely should be taken seriously, but ensure you’re keeping an accurate perspective on it, because if you don’t you’ll simply start to panic.
    You're right on the money, Gary. The real mortality rate for this virus is going to be far lower than even the final number eventually indicates... what ever that is. Because they're only going by actual confirmed cases. There could be five times as many people who never got tested and just got over the virus. Which of course would drive the mortality rate way lower than the final number. Common sense and math.

N.
    Last edited by Noivous; 10-04-20 at 02:26.

Sometimes you just have to laugh at the reality and having seen my fair share of WTF moments in a Walmart, you begin to understand why the world is where it is....

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Only in America Fishmanpa - they sure have some imagination...

Some hopeful news from a chap I've been following since January.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EUZEtJHQhE

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    Some hopeful news from a chap I've been following since January.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EUZEtJHQhE
    This chap talks a lot of common sense - what some of us ave been saying on here for weeks - testing testing testing!! Thanks for directing to his YouTube feeds.

Page 349 of 384 FirstFirst ... 249299339347348349350351359 ... LastLast

Thread Information