Page 104 of 384 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154204 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 3831

Thread: Coronavirus worries?

Re: Coronavirus worries?

I haven’t read anything that says corona is 4-10x more lethal than flu. I’m fact I’ve read the opposite that corona is less lethal than flu but easier to catch.

Quote Originally Posted by jules321 View Post
    I haven’t read anything that says corona is 4-10x more lethal than flu. I’m fact I’ve read the opposite that corona is less lethal than flu but easier to catch.
    Current WHO estimates are that is about 20X deadlier than the flu, with a 2% mortality rate. (Flu is around 0.1).
    It is also more contagious. That number could (and will) go up or down though. It's very hard to make any kind of accurate estimate at the beginning of an outbreak.

This is what I'm saying, everything is contradicting itself. Returned home after shopping and it was a nightmare! The shelves are starting to empty or go short supply, and mainly it was to get all our medications and pet food, but every shop had notices of 'out of stock' for hand gels and handwashes etc. This is what gets people like myself and others that suffer with health anxiety, really upset and panicked even more. The pharmacists didn't seem overly concerned at the moment, just notices saying to keep washing your hands and covering your mouth or face when sneezing or coughing, but some people do not adhere to that. I wasn't in contact with anyone today to be honest, and I'm just looking out for my parents, especially with my mum being on Cosentyx for her pain and symptoms.

Their is definitely a lot of scare mongering going on, even as a extreme anxiety sufferer, I'm aware of trolls now, and people trying to upset others for no good reason other than to upset you, which they've done to me, but I'm getting better at recognizing the mongerers and trolls.

What is the death rate outside of China?
    I keep vacillating between blind panic and somewhat calm, recognizing the magnitude of misinformation. I am supposed to go on a business trip next week, but will have to see what the weekend holds. As I mentioned before, it has done me some good to go back and read the news reports and CDC announcements that came out during H1N1, before I ever knew what heath anxiety was (oh those were the days).

This showed up in my Youtube feed, he's been doing loads of videos on this, I honestly don't know how to feel about him, whether he's just being honest and giving advice or whether he is causing a lot of panic and worry that its catastrophic. What do you think of him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmIRMHzBZdU

This includes Wuhan though doesn't it? The rate outside of Wuhan, even in the rest of China, is less than 1% I'm pretty sure and IMO that's the stat that the rest of the world should be focusing on 😊

Quote Originally Posted by elizabethalice View Post
    This includes Wuhan though doesn't it? The rate outside of Wuhan, even in the rest of China, is less than 1% I'm pretty sure and IMO that's the stat that the rest of the world should be focusing on
    The WHO currently states a mortality rate of 0.7% outside of China. This is very similar to the mortality rate of the very worst of the flu seasons.

And, the mortality rate for anyone under 50 is just 0.2%, so far, albeit this is still a pretty limited sample size at this point. The real danger for anyone healthy and under 70 is just to not infect older people especially with conditions.

The important thing to remember when you constantly hear different data is that the data is ongoing, nothing is really set in stone yet, and that the specific numbers you read depends on what's being measured. Iran for example is much higher in mortality rate for now. That doesn't mean your country will have that rate. It doesn't even mean they will once things progress.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jray23; 28-02-20 at 18:34.

Freaking out bad right now as I just read on the news that there are after all 200 deaths related to the coronavirus in Iran, could this be because they have poor health facilities or a a lot of elderly people? I'm getting concerned now, did the h1n1 flu cause this much of a panic worldwide?

Quote Originally Posted by Brunamateus View Post
    Freaking out bad right now as I just read on the news that there are after all 200 deaths related to the coronavirus in Iran, could this be because they have poor health facilities or a a lot of elderly people? I'm getting concerned now, did the h1n1 flu cause this much of a panic worldwide?
    I know it is hard with so much coming at you regarding this. But, I would say that Iran likely does not have the health infrastructure in place to take this on the way other countries do. What's more is that there are likely A LOT of unreported cases in Iran as well. H1N1 did cause a heck of a lot of panic. It had already been labeled a pandemic very soon after it was discovered. Other countries put travel bans on its citizens coming to the U.S. Schools closed down. Events were cancelled. The U.S. operated in pandemic mode a week or two after the discovery and the WHO labeled it a pandemic soon after. They did not decrease the pandemic for almost a year. Heck, I remember that bad flu season we had, what, two years ago? Where everyone seemed to be dropping like flies and the news reports were, "this is a dangerous flu season, healthy people are dying...fine one minute, then dead the next." When all was said and done, yes, it was a bad flu season, but nothing like what was being projected.

Also, I just have to wonder...in the U.S. people were first diagnosed with this virus, having flown back from China. But, even after that, there were not countless reports from people on those flights who would have been exposed, or in those communities. You would think that if someone had the virus on an airplane, went through an entire airport, likely went other places in their community, that someone else would have caught the virus in that period, yet it just did not happen. There has to be some other trigger or some other mechanism that makes this more of a community spread event. Whether that is consistent contact or hygiene practices or something. Most of the cases you read about which have caused a lot of issues have been on a cruise ship, in a hotel, at a ski resort, in a health care facility, etc. I say this as much to myself as anyone. And, at the end of the day, it is impossible to keep up to date numbers on this when I assure you thousands of people have probably had this virus and no one knew because it felt like a cold.

A broad guess is that 25-70% of people in any infected country may catch the new coronavirus—governments must prepare for this

Amazing :( Yes, hypocritical of me to post this after calling someone out for posting scary info but... should we all be worried now? Damn
    Last edited by Toby2000; 28-02-20 at 20:37.

Page 104 of 384 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154204 ... LastLast

Thread Information