Quote Originally Posted by anxious_dan View Post

Interestingly, I asked multiple staff members when i was in hospital if they felt nervous and for all of them it was a resounding "no". I just wish I could be as brave and calm as them.
Probably because they work around various nasties all the time? For instance, we have an infectious diseases unit at our hospital so you can imagine they have to work like this all year round.

Aside from that I think they are used to having to work under difficult conditions and go home. If they couldn't do it they wouldn't last in the job just as it is for other professions e.g. police, fire service, army, etc. Look at medical staff who work abroad in war zones.

We have ex and current nurses on here as well as partners of them so they will be able to explain how they manage this.

It's a very tough job. It's great to see the support signs people are putting up in their windows. Some are even painting their walls (I saw one today, a wooden pallet painted with the support logo on and mounted on top of their garage along with a stay safe bear made of wood).