Page 99 of 384 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149199 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus worries?

Re: Coronavirus worries?

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    You can freeze it Phil

I wish people would stop panicking so much - out of most on here I am more likely to get it cos I have a suppressed immune system but I have to go out and work so just take precautions where I can.
    Yes that’s true can freeze it.

Right now I feel doomed this week im on holiday but have no motivation to go out I fear I need to isolate myself and stay safe from this virus it feels like my world is ending. Everywhere I read about it so it’s hard to shift my mind from it like all day I have thought about it. I realise it’s as I have anxiety but that’s the thing they don’t care about people with anxiety when they write headlines. My hope is this will all blow over but I fear when I wake up it’s more bad news on the bbc website which is depressing. My worst case is not making work or no holiday ..like right now I have an awful headache about this.

ok well stay isolated then.

I can't afford to as I have a mortgage and bills to pay so when I don't work I don't get paid.
    I think I have far more important things to worry about than my world ending because of this to be honest.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I really appreciate this thread. I am not letting myself read the news as I know my panic will be triggered. Could someone (who is not overly triggered by HA on this one) lay out some facts for me?

- what is the survival rate for coronavirus at this time?
    - what is the best approach if the virus hits your area? Shelter in place and not leave your home if possible? How long would that likely last? Ie months or a couple weeks?
    - I have read on this thread and elsewhere that many people who get this virus only get it mildly and that those who get it worse have pneumonia symptoms (and that therefore elderly are at higher risk). Why then are governments taking pretty extreme measures re quarantines etc if coronavirus isn’t a big threat? That disconnect doesn’t make sense to me if coronavirus isn’t extremely dangerous. The measures being taken would make sense if it was Ebola.
    - how can one tell if they have coronavirus vs influenza in terms of symptoms?
    - how is coronavirus diagnosed? (only by CT scan?)
    - can you get coronavirus more than once? if so, is it likely to pass back and forth in a family with no end in sight?

I’m not looking for reassurance here, I just want facts instead of fear-mongering (that will hopefully reassure me).
    Last edited by jules321; 27-02-20 at 02:02.

I would google "coronavirus advice USA" and see what is officially said

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I’m looking forward to the lockdown!!! All my anxiety from going out the house avoided!! No guilt for not going out and more time to do my dissertation!!!

I hope dominoes don’t shut down if we are all told to stay in can’t the dominoes people stay in dominoes and delivery to like my wall and I’ll leave the money in vinegar and then we are all very very happy people!!!!

(She types sneezing all over my phone)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    Yes that’s true can freeze it.

Right now I feel doomed this week im on holiday but have no motivation to go out I fear I need to isolate myself and stay safe from this virus it feels like my world is ending. Everywhere I read about it so it’s hard to shift my mind from it like all day I have thought about it. I realise it’s as I have anxiety but that’s the thing they don’t care about people with anxiety when they write headlines. My hope is this will all blow over but I fear when I wake up it’s more bad news on the bbc website which is depressing. My worst case is not making work or no holiday ..like right now I have an awful headache about this.
    It sounds like you are self-dooming yourself without any virus.

I get if you don't want to get all up in someone's sneezy, nose-drippy face but if there were any danger in just generally going out in your area, your government would already be telling you not to go out.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jules321 View Post
    I really appreciate this thread. I am not letting myself read the news as I know my panic will be triggered. Could someone (who is not triggered by HA) lay out some facts for me?

- what is the survival rate for coronavirus at this time?
    - what is the best approach if the virus hits your area? Shelter in place and not leave your home if possible? How long would that likely last? Ie months or a couple weeks?
    - I have read on this thread and elsewhere that many people who get this virus only get it mildly and that those who get it worse have pneumonia symptoms (and that therefore elderly are at higher risk). Why then are governments taking pretty extreme measures re quarantines etc is coronavirus isn’t a big threat? That disconnect doesn’t make sense to me if coronavirus isn’t extremely dangerous. The measures being taken would make sense if it was Ebola.
    - how can one tell if they have coronavirus vs influenza in terms of symptoms?
    - how is coronavirus diagnosed? (only by CT scan?)

I’m not looking for reassurance here, I just want facts instead of fear-mongering (that will hopefully reassure me).
    Mortality rate:. Between 0.7% (outside Wuhan, reported by the WHO) and 2% (the generally reported average, including Wuhan). Lower if you're young or middle aged and already healthy, higher if you're 70+ and/or have other health conditions (6-14% range then). 80% of reported cases have been considered mild.

Action if sick/outbreak: Follow your health officials directions. Take a look at the CDC or WHO pages for recommendations. The numbers show that a majority of cases recover in about two weeks.

Government extreme response:. Because it's better to keep this contained if possible than to have 2 "flu" viruses going around every year, the one we are used to is rough enough. Additionally, even if containment ultimately fails, slowing down the spread buys time for preparations, treatments, vaccines, research on best practices, more protective equipment for healthcare workers, etc to be developed and produced. Already a treatment drug has started testing and vaccine research is underway.

Can't really say factually about symptoms and diagnosis.

Antarctica is the only place left and the moon! Let’s go guys!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off those dying from it are your elderly, small children and those with compromised immune systems, its just like a bad case of the flu, wash your hands often, use a tissue when sneezing, bleach the toilet and the handle, wipe down light switches and dont drink or eat after anyone who is sick, high risk of getting it are people mentioned above as well as doctors and nurses , the flu kills 5000 plus people a year in the US way more than the coronavirus The symptoms are shortness of breath like a chest cold , a cough , and fever. Dont travel to China or other high infected areas

Quote Originally Posted by Pkstracy View Post
    First off those dying from it are your elderly, small children and those with compromised immune systems
    The bold is false. I have seen from multiple trustworthy sources that children not only catch it less, but they fare better, and that 0 small children have died from it, so far anyways.

Page 99 of 384 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149199 ... LastLast

Thread Information