Page 101 of 384 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 3831

Thread: Coronavirus worries?

Re: Coronavirus worries?

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    There are 73,490 members on this forum, have any of those members got Coronavirus none reported against many members that have had the flu.
    Carnation, I'm not joking when I say I think me and my family had it.

Don't tell me this is "just another flu", this is far more serious.
    Well, thats exactly what I'm going to say lol They are doing it to stop the spread, people are taking action so it doesn't reach pandemic levels (incidentally which normal flu already is). This is because there is no vaccine and the countries with limited healthcare resources are going to have deaths. Also, those who already have physical vulnerabilities, or are elderly, won't have been protected by any vaccine, as they are with usual flu.

The World Health Organization has urged people to keep calm, saying that ministers across the world need to be able to answer questions on how they are preparing to halt the spread of the virus.

The WHO’s message continues to be that the virus “has pandemic potential” and it is helping every country to prepare.
    The director-general of the WHO, Tedros Adhanom, said countries needed to be ready to detect cases early and isolate patients. They needed the right measures at airports and border crossings.
    He said countries needed to be ready to fight rumours and misinformation. “This is not a time for fear but a time for taking action now to prevent infection and save lives now,” Adhanom said.
    “Fear and panic does not help,” he added.
    Last edited by Carys; 27-02-20 at 15:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Well, thats exactly what I'm going to say lol They are doing it to stop the spread, people are taking action so it doesn't reach pandemic levels (incidentally which normal flu already is). This is because there is no vaccine and the countries with limited healthcare resources are going to have deaths. Also, those who already have physical vulnerabilities, or are elderly, won't have been protected by any vaccine, as they are with usual flu.
    Good point. It's far better to be pro-active than re-active. Closing schools, shutting down office buildings etc is all to contain the virus as much as possible. It's all about buying extra time for vaccinations to start hitting the market (this won't be for at least 12 months).

WiredIncorrectly, hopefully you and your family are well now. I was making a point about escalation and statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by Panicattacka View Post
    Japanese government just announced it is closing ALL schools from monday, from elementary up to high school. This has never happened before, didn't even happen in WW2! Don't tell me this is "just another flu", this is far more serious.
    Closing schools during times of high virus transmission is actually quite commonplace. I've seen in a few occasions in various local communities of schools closing due to outbreaks of measles or Legionnaires or whatever.

The only difference is this is being done on a national scale, because well, there's no way to pinpoint exactly where the disease is prevalent for two weeks.

And this whole "just another flu" thing is the part people somehow aren't getting:. The flu is an annual pandemic that kills half a million or more people a year. It is very serious. But it's also something we live with as a society. If containment doesn't stop covid-19, then we will learn to live with it as well.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Limit your media intake people. In ye olden days there was a newspaper and the evening news, and that was it - I think we were calmer than these modern days with every second of the day bringing another minor change in the story.

Quote Originally Posted by jray23 View Post
    Closing schools during times of high virus transmission is actually quite commonplace. I've seen in a few occasions in various local communities of schools closing due to outbreaks of measles or Legionnaires or whatever.

The only difference is this is being done on a national scale, because well, there's no way to pinpoint exactly where the disease is prevalent for two weeks.

And this whole "just another flu" thing is the part people somehow aren't getting:. The flu is an annual pandemic that kills half a million or more people a year. It is very serious. But it's also something we live with as a society. If containment doesn't stop covid-19, then we will learn to live with it as well.

Very true. Schools were closed in my area around Christmas due to norovirus and that’s really common. This is completely new and not a whole lot is currently know so they are doing their best to stop it going everywhere. My son came home from school today and said they’d had a short lesson on hand washing and the teachers have been making sure the kids wash their hands before leaving/entering the classroom and before eating. Also, teachers are at the doors squirting hand sanitiser on to the kids hands when they leave/enter class. Posters all over school. Pretty good action I say. I remember in 2009 the swine flu pandemic having posters all over at work ‘catch it, bin it, kill it’! It’s always best to err on the side of caution. If they just continued as normal they’d be accused of doing nothing.

Sounds like your local school is on top of it!

And here's some good news, although I don't know anything about this news outlet's reputation:. https://m.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENCE/I...vaccine-619101

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Limit your media intake people. In ye olden days there was a newspaper and the evening news, and that was it - I think we were calmer than these modern days with every second of the day bringing another minor change in the story.
    Or gathering around the wireless for a nightly bulletin from the warfront. Ignorance can be bliss or at least less panic-stricken

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbear View Post
    Very true. Schools were closed in my area around Christmas due to norovirus and that’s really common. This is completely new and not a whole lot is currently know so they are doing their best to stop it going everywhere. My son came home from school today and said they’d had a short lesson on hand washing and the teachers have been making sure the kids wash their hands before leaving/entering the classroom and before eating. Also, teachers are at the doors squirting hand sanitiser on to the kids hands when they leave/enter class. Posters all over school. Pretty good action I say. I remember in 2009 the swine flu pandemic having posters all over at work ‘catch it, bin it, kill it’! It’s always best to err on the side of caution. If they just continued as normal they’d be accused of doing nothing.
    Wouldn't they just! Just think of the uproar!

Page 101 of 384 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast

Thread Information