Page 109 of 384 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119159209 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 3831

Thread: Coronavirus worries?

Re: Coronavirus worries?

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    What annoys me is when the first UK person died yesterday and they won't reveal where he came from, age circumstances and so on, it throws people in to panic, so why mention it all. The media have a lot to answer to imo.
    They are causing the panic and to some extent, hysteria.
    I know people that are too scared to go out, shops considering closing and in the same breath, my cousin works delivering equipment to hospitals and he's going about his day as normal.
    The media are also cherry picking news that shocks, that's their aim and always will be unfortunately.
    Yeah, I think the media's handling of this is appaling. Also I think it's awful that he was dubbed the first UK person in the headlines, and only after reading does it say that he was on the Japanese cruise ship. Of course, he's from the UK, but headlines like that are just fear-mongering for other British people, when it's a completely different situation than the people who got it in the UK who are being treated by the NHS.

I was at my local hospital in Surrey this morning and there's nothing out of the ordinary going on.

If I get it I'll just have to deal with it and carry on. I'd be more scared about getting cancer and having to cope with chemo and being a carer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunflower318 View Post
    It's starting to spread in US. There 3 confirmed cases that have no source. We really dont know how scared we should be. Theres still no confirmed cases in the state we are in but they are monitoring people.
    I'll tell you when you should start to be scared...never.

Ebola
    Bird Flu
    Swine Flu
    SARS

Anything there ring a bell?

These diseases have been throughout history. It will run its course and the vast majority of the population will be unaffected. Then it will be gone. And at no other time in history have we been more prepared for such events.

The media is driving this hype. And like Pulisa said in the unlikely event somebody happens to get it they deal with it get well and get back to living their life. 98% of the people who have gotten it are fine now.

N.

Quote Originally Posted by mischamoonlight View Post
    Sorry to bother you, I am talking a lot about this lately, but wanted to ask because you're mentioning heat. I'm in Ireland, where its not always warm lol! But, our bungalow is solar panelled and has underfloor heating and even if we put it on a low heat, the house will get super warm. Would that help if in the situation heat did help? Or is that considered like a false heat that wouldn't help at all?
    Hi mischamoonlight. Sorry I was talking about climate. I had read a while ago that a leading virologist suggested warmer and more humid air would hamper this virus if it behaved as other coronaviruses do. Of course governments can't assume this to be true and must plan for a worst case scenario.

However this virus 'appears' to be less prevalent in the locations I mentioned, Singapore and Thailand, when you consider they are close to China. That said I'm no expert.

Re: Coronavirus in numbers/facts (COVID-19)

Adding to my thread.....

80,000 People are Sick with Coronavirus at the Moment

of which 77,000 are in China.

This means that if you are not from China than this should remove 96% of your worry.

If you contract Coronavirus, this still is not a cause for alarm, because:
    81% of the Cases are MILD
    14% of the Cases are MODERATE
    and only 5% of the Cases are CRITICAL

This means that even if you do get the virus, you are most likely to recover from it.

Some say, “this is worse than SARS! The world is ending!” – THIS.IS.A.LIE.
    SARS had a fatality rate of 10% while COVID-19 has a fatality rate of 2%!

Moreover, looking at the ages of those who are dying of this virus, the death rate for the people UNDER 50 years of age is only 0.2%!

This means that the majority of people actually recover!
    This means that
    if you are under 50 years of age, and not living in China, you are more likely to win the lottery which is a 1 in 45,000,000 chance!

NOW, Let’s take one of the worst days so far – the 10th of February. Whilst we were enjoying our Public Holiday, 108 persons in CHINA died of Coronavirus.
    BUT, on the same day
    26,283 people died of Cancer
    24,641 people died of Heart Disease
    4,300 people died of Diabetes
    and on that day, Suicide, unfortunately, took more lives than the virus did, by 28 times.

Moreover, Mosquitoes kill 2,740 people every day, HUMANS kill 1,300 fellow humans every day and Snakes kill 137 people every day.

One final thing which we would like to address is the Myth of the Mask. No, this is not the latest Indiana Jones instalment but a huge misconception.

Basically,
    people who are not sick do not need to wear any mask. A mask is worn to contain germs, in case, those who are affected sneeze (which is the most common way of spreading the virus). The mask should be worn by those who feel that they might be sick. The mask carries germs on its outer part, and, if not changed frequently, then it might actually be one of the carrying vehicles of the germs!

What is this telling us, in a nutshell?
    Our advise is simple! We should cherish life every single day. We should care for our lives always, and not only when we are afraid of some virus or other hitting our shores…oh, and don’t forget to wash your hands!

information taken from - https://bay.com.mt/coronavirus-in-nu...ivkpKFjVdINUeo

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Re: Coronavirus in numbers/facts (COVID-19)

Everything else you've posted is excellent and should be read over and over again, except this part is inaccurate:

80,000 People are Sick with Coronavirus at the Moment

of which 77,000 are in China.

This means that if you are not from China than this should remove 96% of your worry.
    Half of the cases in China are already recovered. Only some 45,000 people are currently infected.

Also, 96% of infections being in China is not the case from this point forward. This is not a virus that has been around for decades where the statistics are static. Other countries are experiencing growth in cases and in a short time will have a much greater share of the case total. Already there are more new cases in Korea each day than new cases in China. Italy and Iran are soon to pass that as well.

Again, you are absolutely right that this is not something to worry about, but it is now becoming a global thing, not a Chinese thing.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sunflower318 View Post
    It's starting to spread in US. There 3 confirmed cases that have no source. We really dont know how scared we should be. Theres still no confirmed cases in the state we are in but they are monitoring people.
    I am positive that there will soon be hundreds of cases here in the U.S., within the next three weeks, maybe sooner. The math of travelers, population size, and the way it's been handled wih testing so far basically dictates it.

But we should not be the slightest bit scared. Go about your day, wash your hands, and don't cough on people. Remember that 29 million of us get the flu each year.

Considering that I suffer from health anxiety I thought that I was doing pretty well with coping with my fears of this virus. Until yesterday with the news of the newest case in Santa Clara County (my county) in California. New case that is from community spread. Which means it’s out and about here and it just really freaked me out. I literally woke up every hour last night heart racing and feeling chills. My throat was hurting yesterday (a symptom given in interviews with coronavirus infected, not really listed on anything you read that lists symptoms) so of course I worked myself up pretty badly.

I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m not going to obsessively read articles and updates because for me it’s not healthy for my mental well being. Our county has said to prepare that this will spread and prepare as far as food and supplies should things be shut down for a bit. So I’ve done that, been practicing smart hygiene and I guess that’s the best I can do. I have to realize that the rest is out of my control.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubiered View Post

I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m not going to obsessively read articles and updates because for me it’s not healthy for my mental well being. Our county has said to prepare that this will spread and prepare as far as food and supplies should things be shut down for a bit. So I’ve done that, been practicing smart hygiene and I guess that’s the best I can do. I have to realize that the rest is out of my control.
    This is the perfect reaction to the situation! Well done fighting back against the anxiety!

Quote Originally Posted by Noivous View Post
    I'll tell you when you should start to be scared...never.

Ebola
    Bird Flu
    Swine Flu
    SARS

Anything there ring a bell?

These diseases have been throughout history. It will run its course and the vast majority of the population will be unaffected. Then it will be gone. And at no other time in history have we been more prepared for such events.

The media is driving this hype. And like Pulisa said in the unlikely event somebody happens to get it they deal with it get well and get back to living their life. 98% of the people who have gotten it are fine now.

N.
    Couldn't agree more, Noivous.

Our illustrious PM has obviously decided it's safe to procreate despite all the scaremongering so we should look forward to another Boris Baby and perhaps another juicy topic for the DM to focus on..?

Page 109 of 384 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119159209 ... LastLast

Thread Information