Page 128 of 384 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130138178228 ... LastLast
Results 1,271 to 1,280 of 3831

Thread: Coronavirus worries?

Re: Coronavirus worries?

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    No I don't Mischa, because at this point (and fingers crossed it won't get to that point) its not 'going around'. Maybe at some point it will, and if it does then it does and we will all need to follow careful procedures to protect others etc. but with 51 UK cases out of 65 million people it isn't 'going around'.

I reckon that singing Happy Birthday twice takes about 28 seconds for me, so I think I'll stick to counting rather than singing lol

Is anyone else thinking the government is sounding rather defeatist about it at the moment ? All their plans for 1/5 th of workers off and so on, I thought we were still in 'containment' territory, or that is what WHO says.
    Without me getting too bogged down in politics, being the thorny subject it already is in its own right, it does superficially seem as though the govt are sounding 'defeatist', but I personally think they (and all the other relevant authorities) just feel an obligation to err on the side of caution by overestimating the possible risks of the virus escalating, regardless of whether they turn out to be right or wrong. If the virus does happen to escalate in the UK in due course, they cannot then be accused of 'covering up' and 'playing down' the potential risks. As the situation is constantly shifting, even the so-called 'experts' are still in the process of learning.

In the meantime, we still need to try to remain calm and heed the advice of the proper 'experts', and not the know-it-all 'fake news-mongers', 'conspiracy theorists' and the like on social media, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Another piece of brighter news re Coronavirus.

I also read this afternoon on the BBC News website on the page about 'people being off sick at the same time' due to the virus that 4 more people in the UK have now recovered from the virus, though it actually states that the total number of 'recovered' cases is 12.

As I mentioned earlier upthread, new cases of the virus in Italy (the closest 'epicentre' to us) are now starting to show signs of easing, after reportedly 'spiking' at the weekend, though it's still a tad too early to speculate as to whether they may be over the worst or it being just a temporary 'blip'.

Only time will tell.
    I think the difficulty is the media do not differentiate between live current infected people and those recovered they are still reporting that the total infected stats are 51 in the uk which is more alarming than if you minus 12 off the total which would then be 39 which feels easier to stomach, my maths are not always on point so it would be kinder if journos did this for us

51 is still a lot fewer than one in a million, though.

Yeah, I agree, with the issue that stats would be more representative (I think Lencoboy first mentioned this?) if they included those who were mild/recovered blah blah. It would certainly help many people to know these facts.

but I personally think they (and all the other relevant authorities) just feel an obligation to err on the side of caution by overestimating the possible risks of the virus escalating
    Erring on the side of caution is great, and is definitely needed, major plans are needed for sure - maybe we are back again to media representation. The article title '5th of all workers could be off peak at virus peak' is more alarming than 'In the eventuality that the virus spreads then a 5th of all workers could be off at the peak'. Of course, thats much lonnggeerrrrr as a title lol Maybe arguing semantics is a bit pointless thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixess View Post
    I think the difficulty is the media do not differentiate between live current infected people and those recovered they are still reporting that the total infected stats are 51 in the uk which is more alarming than if you minus 12 off the total which would then be 39 which feels easier to stomach, my maths are not always on point so it would be kinder if journos did this for us
    I totally agree with you there, Phoenixess. Like I said on this thread last night I believe the way the stats are currently compiled is clumsy and not very specific. Thus, 39 'active' cases, 12 'recovered' cases and 0 fatalities are most certainly much simpler to stomach.

But, as per usual, 51 cases in total (accounting for both 'active' and 'recovered') makes for more exciting and dramatic reading as far as the media are concerned, thus artificially inflating the stats.

It would also be nice to hear or read something about those 12 who have already recovered from the virus, and of course any potential progress from some of the 39 currently 'active' cases who may now be recovering. I personally think that would be more likely to sell the newspapers instead of them constantly spewing out their usual hyperbolic scaremongering articles.

There are hospitalized corona cases nearby, but no known community cases. My close friend who is also a germaphobe just pulled her child out of our elementary school in fear of corona. Her child and my child are best friends. I am not sure what her long-term plan is although I imagine the child will not return to school until this corona issue is past which might mean she's out for the school year. I am upset by her decision and frustrated with her and trying to reason out why. I think part of me is mad because I am working so hard to contain my HA right now and separate my fears from reality, and she's not doing the same. Her fears are triggering my fears, and around we go. Another part is worried I am making the wrong decision by sending my own child to school right now. As an HA sufferer, it can be hard to tease out what is a reasonable response from what is a fear-based response. My friend says she is worried there are unknown community cases nearby so that's why she's not sending her child. She is basically homebound. Truthfully, I am also basically homebound other than needed errands. I woke up with a cold today and don't feel great (not at all worried it's corona), but I know it's from stress wearing me down. I have tried to gently and lovingly talk to my friend that we want to raise strong children who aren't ruled by fear, and we need to lead by example. My friend said her child is crying a lot and scared to go to school. I don't think she sees that her reaction is a leading reason why. Ultimately, I respect my friend and think everyone must trust themselves and make the decisions that feel right to them. It's just hard not to be on the same page with a close friend during a time like this and have her decisions trigger me.

Reading the level-headed and reasoned responses on here are a godsend to be honest and are going a long way to calming me. Those comments are mostly about UK, so if anyone wants to do a little research or stat-sharing about USA to calm me, I would be grateful as well since I don't let myself check news often. I did find this article to be reasonable, fact-based, and interesting. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/27/w...-recovery.html

Quote Originally Posted by jules321 View Post
    There are hospitalized corona cases nearby, but no known community cases. My close friend who is also a germaphobe just pulled her child out of our elementary school in fear of corona. Her child and my child are best friends. I am not sure what her long-term plan is although I imagine the child will not return to school until this corona issue is past which might mean she's out for the school year. I am upset by her decision and frustrated with her and trying to reason out why. I think part of me is mad because I am working so hard to contain my HA right now and separate my fears from reality, and she's not doing the same. Her fears are triggering my fears, and around we go. Another part is worried I am making the wrong decision by sending my own child to school right now. As an HA sufferer, it can be hard to tease out what is a reasonable response from what is a fear-based response. My friend says she is worried there are unknown community cases nearby so that's why she's not sending her child. She is basically homebound. Truthfully, I am also basically homebound other than needed errands. I woke up with a cold today and don't feel great (not at all worried it's corona), but I know it's from stress wearing me down. I have tried to gently and lovingly talk to my friend that we want to raise strong children who aren't ruled by fear, and we need to lead by example. My friend said her child is crying a lot and scared to go to school. I don't think she sees that her reaction is a leading reason why. Ultimately, I respect my friend and think everyone must trust themselves and make the decisions that feel right to them. It's just hard not to be on the same page with a close friend during a time like this and have her decisions trigger me.

Reading the level-headed and reasoned responses on here are a godsend, to be honest and are going a long way to calming me. Those comments are mostly about the UK, so if anyone wants to do a little research or stat-sharing about the USA to calm me, I would be grateful as well since I don't let myself check news often. I did find this article to be reasonable, fact-based, and interesting. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/27/w...-recovery.html
    I'm the UK, but imagine we will have some school closures and also people pulling their children out of school soon.

FWIW I think you are absolutely doing the right thing. We have to believe that the right decisions are being made to keep us all as safe as possible and just avoid the conspiracy theorists and doom-mongers. If schools close then kids will be at home, otherwise they need to go in. If they are waiting for this to 'blow over' then I imagine that's keeping them off until the end of next winter at least, a ridiculous amount of schooling to miss and far more damaging to a child than the current risk of the virus. There's also a good possibility that this will become another community virus - will they keep their child at home and stay housebound forever?

I understand that people are concerned, it's a bit of an unprecedented situation that we've not been in before. But governments have been planning for this kind of illness for a very long time and will have contingencies in place. Just follow the official advice. I do think it's worth discussing proper handwashing with your child, something I have done, not so much for them, (though obviously no one wants their child ill), but to help prevent the spread - something kids tend to be very good at

Quote Originally Posted by Brunamateus View Post
    Hey, does anybody here came across something that might have said that asthma counts as a risk factor?
    Asthma will always be a risk factor when it comes to coughs, colds, flu, etc. But remember you run the same risk with all of those every year without this media hysteria.

I have asthma and my elderly mother has COPD. Neither of us are the least bothered about it this despite the doom mongering of the media. And we've both had pneumonia before too.

Quote Originally Posted by jules321 View Post

Reading the level-headed and reasoned responses on here are a godsend to be honest and are going a long way to calming me. Those comments are mostly about UK, so if anyone wants to do a little research or stat-sharing about USA to calm me, I would be grateful as well since I don't let myself check news often. I did find this article to be reasonable, fact-based, and interesting. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/27/w...-recovery.html
    Oh Jules, that is so so so hard. You sounded so positive yesterday and now this. It is difficult when you are battling your demons and then someone close to you unknowingly triggers them. I would be lying if I said that I have not become a little more militant with my kids recently, as far as hand washing, not touching their faces, etc. but I am keeping them in school until someone tells me not to. I just have to trust that the public health officials and schools want the best for their communities too. And, I could be wrong, but I do not think there has even been an outbreak in a school anywhere. My son and daughter have each had a cough which I thought nothing about, but my son turned to me the other night and said, "What if I have coronavirus?" I told him that he didn't, but goodness, even if he did, he is doing fine and I never would have taken him to the doctor for a cough like that. We have had a terrible, terrible flu season where I live, with multiple absences for flu and strep and I did not take my kids out then, so I will not now unless I am told to do so. Now, am I going to take them to the Houston Rodeo this month? Nope. But, we are going to go on a road trip for Spring Break next week and I want them to have a great time. I will be prudent with cleanliness, but I want them to have fun. At the end of the day if, God forbid, they or one of us got COVID-19, and somehow passed, I would want them to be living a rich, full life until that point, not holed up with me at home.

As far as statistics here, I cannot help with that because the numbers make my head swim. I will say that most of what I have read from the experts indicates that this virus has been circulating in the U.S. for some time and that in states like WA and OR (and probably many more) the infection rate is upwards of 350-500 at least. Now, that may not sound great, but what this tells me is that this mortality rate that is being thrown around is likely high, which helps me a little. I have an office in the Seattle area (I work remotely from them) and I asked what the tone of the office was yesterday and was told that they are all aware, but their biggest concern is when the fruit delivery will be for the week. I do not know where this thing will go, but I have to trust that the powers that be in public health, local governments, etc. are all doing the best they can.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGroundhog View Post
    I'm the UK, but imagine we will have some school closures and also people pulling their children out of school soon.

FWIW I think you are absolutely doing the right thing. We have to believe that the right decisions are being made to keep us all as safe as possible and just avoid the conspiracy theorists and doom-mongers. If schools close then kids will be at home, otherwise they need to go in. If they are waiting for this to 'blow over' then I imagine that's keeping them off until the end of next winter at least, a ridiculous amount of schooling to miss and far more damaging to a child than the current risk of the virus. There's also a good possibility that this will become another community virus - will they keep their child at home and stay housebound forever?

I understand that people are concerned, it's a bit of an unprecedented situation that we've not been in before. But governments have been planning for this kind of illness for a very long time and will have contingencies in place. Just follow the official advice. I do think it's worth discussing proper handwashing with your child, something I have done, not so much for them, (though obviously no one wants their child ill), but to help prevent the spread - something kids tend to be very good at
    Schools are already closing as a temporary measure where children have returned from regions affected. They will reopen them very quickly once those returned have been assessed to be ok.

Schools aren't closed lightly on a large scale as there is a major knock on effect of all those parents not going to work. As one MP mentioned today in the Parliamentary debate about this where he pointed out we don't want all our nurses & doctors at home looking after their kids.

A point earlier was about our government being down beat with disaster planning. Something the media do is discard less dramatic plans and focus on the one aimed at worst case. With Brexit there were several but they concentrated on the worst i.e. we all turn into feral mutants roaming London eating rats.

In today's debate one moronic Labour MP even suggested advice be given to limit travel, the elderly to go out once rather than twice a week and to discourage people from attending large public events. Yeah let's lockdown the country over a tiny number of well contained cases.

Another member a few pages back (Lencoboy - welcome and keep the good posts up!) mentioned that we should have powers to restrict or hold the press to account. The government can institute a media blackout with powers they have used before such as a D Notice where something could cause public panic. But it's just not fit for what we need which is more sensible and accountable reporting. The sad thing is raising legislation like that makes the right go power hungry and the left bleat about freedom. There should be some middle ground because our media are nuts! Whether it's the DM and poor health reporting, the Express trying to demonize foreigners or the likes of The Guardian bleating on about doom & gloom of our awful society.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 03-03-20 at 18:30. Reason: Typo

Page 128 of 384 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130138178228 ... LastLast

Thread Information