Page 228 of 384 FirstFirst ... 128178218226227228229230238278328 ... LastLast
Results 2,271 to 2,280 of 3831

Thread: Coronavirus worries?

Re: Coronavirus worries?

when others on here (like myself and the poster from Italy) are actually in the heart of it with severe daily impact.

but Jules, what makes you think that others aren't also 'in the heart of it' ? We have a small country, very highly populated and our cases per 1 million population are much higher than yours. I'm sorry, I don't know exactly where you are in the States, and maybe it would help for us to know that, but I think you are presuming that others aren't in a similar situation. We aren't having 'lockdown' here at the moment, because our government seems to following different policies.

Jules, you're in Seattle I presume?

For everyone, as this escalates I would like to emphasize three things we know about coronavirus outbreaks. And we should share this with those who are freaking out for the apocalypse.

1). This will not last forever. Yes, maybe the virus will live on but isolations and lockdowns are pointless after the entire population is exposed to it. Worst case is a lockdown of three to four months. Dr. Fauci, who is the lone voice of reason in the Trump administration, expects it to be about eight weeks, give or take. In Wuhan, restrictions are slowly being lifted, just seven weeks after they were imposed. Bet it feels like it's been longer than seven weeks ago right?

2). While lockdowns affect everyone, the odds are that you will not get coronavirus. In Wuhan, at most 5% had it (assuming the reported numbers are wrong). In previous extreme epidemics (Spanish Flu, etc), at most a third of the people get it.

3). If you do get it, that sucks of course, but it likely will not be bad. For example, Rudy Gobert, the NBA player who tested positive on Wednesday, was ready to play in that night's game if the test was negative. So he must have been feeling pretty ok to endure an intense physical contest played at the world's most elite level.

We need to emphasize Facts. Not Fear. This will be a tough time for many of us, but we can get through it by uniting despite physical isolation.

Lastly, we here in the US should use this poster reminiscent of our calls to war in the past...with a twist for this "war":8e4i4waqigm41.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    I'm wondering how long it will be before the UK Government decides not to publish stats.
    During the 2009 Swine Flu pandemic, although it may not be practical to compare the stats between each 'virus' like-for-like, the UK govt stopped publishing stats from the early July of that year (I think). It was also during more or less the same time-span since the first confirmed cases in the UK of both SF and CV that the total number of cases surpasses the 1k mark, if not purely coincidental. All of our fatalities so far have been persons in the 70+ age group and all bar one had severe underlying health issues, though not in any way intending to trivialise potential cases affecting all age groups from 0-70, and irrespective of their general health.

Just read something rather ironic on the Indy100 website about people now actually feeling nostalgic about the Brexit panics of last year (2019). I was actually thinking to myself only just the other day that compared to all of the relentless panics over CV at the moment, the never-ending panics over Brexit now seem like a walk in the park by comparison!! Probably the same also for the other big 'moral panics' over recent years, such as terrorist threats, knife crime, etc, though still not trivialising such issues.

Well, the dashboard hasn't been updated today... where did you find out the ages of the souls that have passed? Even the regional breakdown is no longer available.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    but Jules, what makes you think that others aren't also 'in the heart of it' ? We have a small country, very highly populated and our cases per 1 million population are much higher than yours. I'm sorry, I don't know exactly where you are in the States, and maybe it would help for us to know that, but I think you are presuming that others aren't in a similar situation. We aren't having 'lockdown' here at the moment, because our government seems to following different policies.
    From what I've read from UK posters, all of your schools are not shut down, market shelves are not bare, there aren't lines out the door of local ER's, people aren't being instructed to isolate at home. Believe me the impact takes on a whole new level once these things start occurring.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Well, the dashboard hasn't been updated today... where did you find out the ages of the souls that have passed? Even the regional breakdown is no longer available.
    I'm sure it was somewhere on the BBC website.

Quote Originally Posted by jray23 View Post
    Jules, you're in Seattle I presume?

For everyone, as this escalates I would like to emphasize three things we know about coronavirus outbreaks. And we should share this with those who are freaking out for the apocalypse.

1). This will not last forever. Yes, maybe the virus will live on but isolations and lockdowns are pointless after the entire population is exposed to it. Worst case is a lockdown of three to four months. Dr. Fauci, who is the lone voice of reason in the Trump administration, expects it to be about eight weeks, give or take. In Wuhan, restrictions are slowly being lifted, just seven weeks after they were imposed. Bet it feels like it's been longer than seven weeks ago right?

2). While lockdowns affect everyone, the odds are that you will not get coronavirus. In Wuhan, at most 5% had it (assuming the reported numbers are wrong). In previous extreme epidemics (Spanish Flu, etc), at most a third of the people get it.

3). If you do get it, that sucks of course, but it likely will not be bad. For example, Rudy Gobert, the NBA player who tested positive on Wednesday, was ready to play in that night's game if the test was negative. So he must have been feeling pretty ok to endure an intense physical contest played at the world's most elite level.

We need to emphasize Facts. Not Fear. This will be a tough time for many of us, but we can get through it by uniting despite physical isolation.

Lastly, we here in the US should use this poster reminiscent of our calls to war in the past...with a twist for this "war":8e4i4waqigm41.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    This is quite helpful, thank you. I am trying to remind my spouse that lockdown does not = getting CV. It's all quite scary though as we are now rationing our food, TP, everything so we don't have to go back "out there." It all feels so overwhelming. My spouse is locked up in the office even on weekends, so I'm 100% on child entertainment and teaching during all of this lockdown even though I also work from home.

Someone from the CdC said that most people are going to get this. Something like 70% of the population

Quote Originally Posted by jules321 View Post
    From what I've read from UK posters, all of your schools are not shut down, market shelves are not bare, there aren't lines out the door of local ER's, people aren't being instructed to isolate at home. Believe me the impact takes on a whole new level once these things start occurring.
    Some schools have voluntarily shut, but we have had cases of shelves being stripped bare in supermarkets and people ARE being told to isolate themselves for certain symptoms.

But our government is populated by idiots who want to see what happens before doing anything: there has been talk of letting as much of the population as possible get infected to breed "herd immunity". Doing nothing is cheap.

Thats because of a totally different government policy to yours - they are choosing to follow a totally different approach to the virus, which is rather more scary to many people actually and causing controversy and anxiety. We do have bare shelves, just as you do. Schools aren't shut because they need to keep the NHS running, and if schools were shut then it limits NHS staff who can work (this is on a basic level the details I'm giving, of course its more complicated than that). I'm not trying to minimise your situation, I'm sure it feels frightening, but the aim behind it is to protect the most vulnerable and as you said earlier to 'flatten that curve', not that they think you are personally massively at risk. I do think Jray made an excellent post above, and if you are in Seattle (which is the epicentre in the US right ?) then I would feel better knowing that aggressive action was being taken than nothing much at all.

Page 228 of 384 FirstFirst ... 128178218226227228229230238278328 ... LastLast

Thread Information