Page 337 of 384 FirstFirst ... 237287327335336337338339347 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,370 of 3831

Thread: Coronavirus worries?

Re: Coronavirus worries?

Quote Originally Posted by FrankT View Post
    I'm sorry, I'm just scared.
    I know, and I’m not saying don’t post. But challenge your thinking at the same time. Make it a question that can be answered or debated.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    What I'm fed up with hearing/seeing is the 'testing will unlock this', 'testing is critical', 'testing will give us more accurate figures/reduce death stats' blah blah....but soz we still can't do those tests. I know the govt are saying that they are frustrated about this too, but how are some other countries managing it ?

Scass Seriously, I've just looked at BBC newsround, where they have a coronavirus section, and its so nicely written and 'unscary'. Obviously it centres around many issues relevant to youngsters, but an adult-type version written very sensitively would be something a lot of people would appreciate right now I think.
    I love Newsround!!

I'm sorry, I'm just scared.
    So what? Everybody is.

You're just being self indulgent and provoking more fear. You say things with no basis from expertise.

Next time you feel like typing out your own personal theory on the next worst case scenario, maybe walk away from the keyboard and do something else instead? I'm sure you'll feel a lot better if you practice doing this over and over again. Try and learn some self control.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    What I'm fed up with hearing/seeing is the 'testing will unlock this', 'testing is critical', 'testing will give us more accurate figures/reduce death stats' blah blah....but soz we still can't do those tests. I know the govt are saying that they are frustrated about this too, but how are some other countries managing it ?

Scass Seriously, I've just looked at BBC newsround, where they have a coronavirus section, and its so nicely written and 'unscary'. Obviously it centres around many issues relevant to youngsters, but an adult-type version written very sensitively would be something a lot of people would appreciate right now I think.

Probably a wise move Carys.

Despite that fact that BBC Newsround is centred around many issues mostly more relevant to younger people (as you stated), it is most certainly not 'dumbed down' in any way and probably presented in the least 'scariest' manner whilst at the same time trying to maintain a reasonable sense of perspective. Also, watching programmes like BBC Newsround and others within the same time-slot could very well provide a sense of comfort (especially in a 'nostalgic' sense) and be transported back to earlier times of childhood innocence, etc. And we shouldn't in any way feel ashamed or guilty over watching programmes aimed more at children and teenagers as fully-grown adults, despite all the 'Paedogeddon' scares over recent years, and fears of being wrongly judged, etc. Let's face it, I still watch many past children's programmes from my childhood on YouTube, such as 'The Sooty Show', 'Look And Read', and many others, and haven't come to any harm (sorry for digressing).

Not really, considering it's already caused the stock markets to crash.
    A stock market crash does not cause a depression on its own. A major difference between this situation and the situation in 1929 and even in 2008 during the recession is that the economic decline occurring now is based on extrinsic factors, not intrinsic problems with the economy. The recession in 2008 happened because of a series of problems within the economy, making it a lot more difficult to recover from. This is a major shock to the economy but it's more like a healthy person being hit by a car vs. someone being diagnosed with cancer.

Pair with that the fact that because so many people can continue to work remotely, unemployment - while serious - will never reach the levels seen during the depression. America's jobs numbers were posted today and there was a net loss of 701,000 jobs in March. That's a massive loss, but doesn't break the record for job losses recorded during the 2008 recession when there was a one-month loss over 780,000 at one point. At the height of the recession the unemployment rate in the US was 10.8%. Even with almost 10 million unemployment claims filed in the US in the past few weeks, our unemployment rate is only 4.5% right now.

Yes, we have a ways to go and things will get worse, but this happened to strong economies that have a very good chance of recovery when this is over.

(All of this is not to say that there are not MANY individuals out there who are struggling immensely right now and who will absolutely FEEL like there are living through a depression. Trends and generalizations shouldn't minimize the terrible effect this will have on many, many people.)

Yeay, Scass, already watching newsround !!!!

Not really, considering it's already caused the stock markets to crash.
    So what, they'll go back up in a jiffy. In fact now is when the money is made.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

For those struggling with being stuck inside, the length of possible isolation, etc., here is a good article i read yesterday from the viewpoint of a long-distance swimmer that could be helpful to some:

https://www.marke****ch.com/story/ge...mic-2020-04-02

edit... that's Market Watch... apparently the letters lineup to be a censored word...lol.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I hope you don’t mind me joining in the chat!

My husband was furloughed today and what a relief it is, he doesn’t have to go back to work til the end of May, at the earliest. When he told me it felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders!

On another note are those isolating finding being in the house is drying out their throat and irritating it?! It’s leaving me wanting to cough... don’t think it’s *that* cough but I just feel like my throat and chest is getting drier and more irritated!

I hope everyone else is holding up!

Oh gosh yes. I’m not isolated because I still have to leave my house for work but yeah I’ve had the dry throat and throat clearing thing happening for a couple weeks at least. I Just keep on trying to drink a ton of water.

Page 337 of 384 FirstFirst ... 237287327335336337338339347 ... LastLast

Thread Information