Page 353 of 384 FirstFirst ... 253303343351352353354355363 ... LastLast
Results 3,521 to 3,530 of 3831

Thread: Coronavirus worries?

Re: Coronavirus worries?

A few meaning less sanctions on China then and back to normal? Japan have strained relations with them already and Japan aren't clean either (They still refuse to compensate women for the state sanctioned mass rapes of WWII).

Maybe I'm cynical but I suspect the dust will settle and the moral outrage will fade and money will win out. After all China commit plenty of human rights abuses but we still buy from them.

Political sabre rattling to appease the upset public? I'm sure the real reason to decrease China's strength would be concealed inside public outrage over this...but I'm cynical

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    I don’t know about breaking point, but I do think that other countries are doing their own research and coming up with questions. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. I think that if China have covered up then questions should be asked. It doesn’t mean a war, it’s just questions.
    True, our recent adventures into the Middle East spring to mind

I think that this goes to show that we are all interconnected and dependent upon each other. The trend towards nationalism and isolationism amongst our world leaders right now only made this situation worse.

Oh, like it's China's fault alone! The Americans ignored the threat and let it expand!

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    A few meaning less sanctions on China then and back to normal? Japan have strained relations with them already and Japan aren't clean either (They still refuse to compensate women for the state sanctioned mass rapes of WWII).

Maybe I'm cynical but I suspect the dust will settle and the moral outrage will fade and money will win out. After all China commit plenty of human rights abuses but we still buy from them.

Political sabre rattling to appease the upset public? I'm sure the real reason to decrease China's strength would be concealed inside public outrage over this...but I'm cynical
    Terry, I can promise I'm not out to bring down the nation of China, I've got enough to worry about. But some transparency about an issue that threatens me and my family would be nice

The Covid-19 pandemic has revealed the weakness of globalization in such a dramatic way that everyone gets it now:

Depending on some corrupt country halfway across the world to manufacture your crucial components and pharmaceuticals is unwise.

To some extent, economic nationalism is coming back. And not before time IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankT View Post
    Oh, like it's China's fault alone! The Americans ignored the threat and let it expand!
    Most nations made early errors when faced with this, the problem is the nation who’s dodgy habit of having wet markets decided to try and cover up the outbreak and fed absolute rubbish to their lapdogs at the W.H.O.

It’s difficult to prepare for a pandemic like this, it’s even more difficult when the epicentre is constantly telling lies about it.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    I think that this goes to show that we are all interconnected and dependent upon each other. The trend towards nationalism and isolationism amongst our world leaders right now only made this situation worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Panicattacka View Post
    The Covid-19 pandemic has revealed the weakness of globalization in such a dramatic way that everyone gets it now:

Depending on some corrupt country halfway across the world to manufacture your crucial components and pharmaceuticals is unwise.

To some extent, economic nationalism is coming back. And not before time IMO.
    It's why I'm cynical. How can you really hold them to account when to do so means upsetting big business from your own countries who enjoy cheap labour over there? Stop buying from them? Move to more expensive countries due to an ethical standing? I'm not sure about that when the reason they are so often out there meant sacking lots of workers who they wanted to pay less?

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    Terry, I can promise I'm not out to bring down the nation of China, I've got enough to worry about. But some transparency about an issue that threatens me and my family would be nice
    I know, fishman, my comment wasn't aimed at you, don't worry. It's just that I'm not going to take a lesson on morals from Abe when he has some dirty skeletons of his own that are also horrendous. It's also an opportunity to grab business from China under the shadow of a scandal and the US and the EU have been trying to weaken China's influence for some time so I expect it will be viewed as convenient in that respect to the big hats.

To us though it's disgusting and China need to be held to account. Considering they are just standing back allowing the exact same wet markets to re-open suggests they don't give a shite what we think. Standing together we may get somewhere in influencing change out there so I will take that for all we can get but I know there will be plenty of rich players over here who will benefit more

My concern right now is the Trump administration's handling of this situation in my country. If any of you watched some of Cuomo's briefings in New York over the last couple of weeks, because of the lack of leadership, states have been having to compete against each other for PPE resources in our country. The states have been pretty much left up to their own devices to handle the situation. I'm lucky that I live in California and my governor has been on top of things, not even waiting for the feds to acquire supplies. But other states seem to have governors who have no clue. Georgia's governor just said that he didn't know until a few days ago that people can pass CV without showing symptoms? WTF? Some states won't even close everything down. One state did...but then said people could attend church on the Easter weekend. How does that help? Here in CA we've slowed our transmissions and are close to seeing the peak...but how can we open up our economy again when these other states will still have CV going strong because they haven't taken the appropriate measures? It seems we will only be as strong as our weakest state.

Page 353 of 384 FirstFirst ... 253303343351352353354355363 ... LastLast

Thread Information