Page 53 of 384 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus worries?

Re: Coronavirus worries?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixess View Post
    Im slightly perturbed at the UK government and this so called super spreader man who has given it to so many people, the person in the doctors surgery is when my family live and its their medical practice. its very concerning for them.
    In my mind i think of two possibilities, i think a the WHO will have to stop all international travel, if everyone stayed put for one month surely the virus would die out and everyone would be ok? or am i just wishful thinking?
    Or we just all carry on 'keep calm and carry on ' as they say and if we get it good luck and see you on the other side kinda attitude?
    Well that would be the sensible thing to do but our government are not sensible. I’m freaking out more and more and finding less and less positive information.

i hope your family are okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbear View Post
    Well that would be the sensible thing to do but our government are not sensible. I’m freaking out more and more and finding less and less positive information.

i hope your family are okay.
    dont freak weve got this i promise!!!
    i hope so too we will wait and see x

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixess View Post
    Im slightly perturbed at the UK government and this so called super spreader man who has given it to so many people, the person in the doctors surgery is when my family live and its their medical practice. its very concerning for them.
    In my mind i think of two possibilities, i think a the WHO will have to stop all international travel, if everyone stayed put for one month surely the virus would die out and everyone would be ok? or am i just wishful thinking?
    Or we just all carry on 'keep calm and carry on ' as they say and if we get it good luck and see you on the other side kinda attitude?
    Wouldn't a) mean they would have to quarantine for as long as it took for all cases of this to disappear and then add on the incubation period? Imagine how much would stop in the world if no one travelled? How would the celebs cope with that?!!!

Option b) gets my vote. You have an area in China where there are a lot of cases but it just doesn't match the rest of the world. Hardly anyone is being found to be infected anywhere on planet earth. Meanwhile the normal flu viruses are infecting people at far higher rates around us. So, if you fear coronavirus why wouldn't you flee the UK for months every year when our bog standard flu (which also kills hundreds every year who are at risk) is doing what it normally does?

I had been doing well today until I read about this super spreader in Brighton. Went to my anxiety group, around Asda then my walk round town. All fine and dandy and then whoosh, panic stations.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Wouldn't a) mean they would have to quarantine for as long as it took for all cases of this to disappear and then add on the incubation period? Imagine how much would stop in the world if no one travelled? How would the celebs cope with that?!!!

Option b) gets my vote. You have an area in China where there are a lot of cases but it just doesn't match the rest of the world. Hardly anyone is being found to be infected anywhere on planet earth. Meanwhile the normal flu viruses are infecting people at far higher rates around us. So, if you fear coronavirus why wouldn't you flee the UK for months every year when our bog standard flu (which also kills hundreds every year who are at risk) is doing what it normally does?

I think I feel protected more so from flu because I have my flu jabs and I feel like 2% is a lot worse than flu mortality and that has potential to increase. I guess part of anxiety is irrationality. I fear more for my husband and my son than I do myself.

Apologies, because I know this triggers some people massively, but other than the media furore, why is this any different to a flu outbreak? Obviously it's a huge problem in Wuhan, but in the UK? It feels about as logical as worrying about a shark attack.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Apologies, because I know this triggers some people massively, but other than the media furore, why is this any different to a flu outbreak? Obviously it's a huge problem in Wuhan, but in the UK? It feels about as logical as worrying about a shark attack.
    I like that perspective!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The media dubbing someone 'the superspreader' is another example of stoking fear. It reminds people of all those disaster and horror films. I can remember one of the early X-Files episodes had one just like this.

Exactly, Terry. It feels as though any perceived danger here is entirely generated by the press.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbear View Post
    I think I feel protected more so from flu because I have my flu jabs and I feel like 2% is a lot worse than flu mortality and that has potential to increase. I guess part of anxiety is irrationality. I fear more for my husband and my son than I do myself.
    Whilst I can understand that I do think you need to remember that we all have something inside us that is far better than any of the flu jabs, the immune system. We are not unprotected by any means.

I'm in an at risk group, my mother is very much in one being elderly with COPD and other health complaints. Both of us have beaten pneumonia, she did so a couple of years ago. Regardless of the media talking about the medical world finding something new to treat this particular strain they have many drugs they can use to treat pneumonia very successfully and do so daily.

The most protection we all have is being nowhere near any of this. The chances of us walking past someone carrying this virus will be so incredibly low. We've more chance of winning the lottery.

Page 53 of 384 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread Information