Page 74 of 384 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124174 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus worries?

Re: Coronavirus worries?

You gotta feel sorry for them folk on the cruise ship. There gotta be old folk like our parents usin there savings for the trip of a lifetime and this happens, makes me wanna cry 😷😭😭

Then you'd got the crew, underpaid and overworked young injuns and flips who of course gonna get sick bringing chow to the cabins then infection each other in the galleyz. I hope the company refund them or at least give them free passes for another cruise when this shit passes.

Still amazed there don't been a stock market crash so I guess there won't be. Either way don't mean scratch to most us here folk.

Do you know, even the BBC are getting in on the sensationalising act - everyone of their articles includes the word 'deadly' in the opening statement. Along the lines of - The deadly coronavirus...... It makes me cross and you can see their standards slipping by the day.

overworked young injuns and flips
    Does 'Injuns' refer to Asian Indians and 'Flips' refer to Phillippinos ? (I really don't like those terms)

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Do you know, even the BBC are getting in on the sensationalising act - everyone of their articles includes the word 'deadly' in the opening statement. Along the lines of - The deadly coronavirus...... It makes me cross and you can see their standards slipping by the day.

Does 'Injuns' refer to Asian Indians and 'Flips' refer to Phillippinos ? (I really don't like those terms)
    Yes, the BBC have been falling in standards in recent years. They are becoming more sensationalist. I wonder whether they are remodelling to get in on the clicks the less ethically minded in journalism generate?

The government need to sort out minimum wage on these ships. Did you see the recent article about Phillipino staff being paid peanuts due to a loophole in the law? P&O I think it was.

I am quite disappointed in the BBC for a multitude of reasons, not only because of their sensationalising but for also not being transparent with their research.
    hmmmm wonder where they get it from.....

Coronavirus

Hi all
    I have come back from Thailand on Tuesday after spending 8 days there!
    Today I have woken up with a chesty cough with lots of production and my nose feels dry at the back like im getting a cold.

Im scared this could be coronavirus! The symptoms suggest its a dry cough with fever for this virus but I have no fever yet!

Before I went to Thailand I had a cough and throughout my time there as due to air con etc! Could this chesty cough be a change of temp from a hot country to a cold one?

Im really scared its coronavirus!

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post

Agreed

And it's a pretty big assumption that they're overworked and underpaid. I have a couple of friends who have worked on cruise ships and the pay and conditions are pretty good compared with alternative work.

Just more automatic negative outlook.

Just an observation but I don't see anyone engaging in 'safe behaviour' while in Asda this morning. Plenty of people chatting up close and personal, the odd hug here and there. Also have yet to see hand gel being used. I keep a bottle in the car and use it then. Does this say more about me?

Re: Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by Neverending_story View Post
    Hi all
    I have come back from Thailand on Tuesday after spending 8 days there!
    Today I have woken up with a chesty cough with lots of production and my nose feels dry at the back like im getting a cold.

Im scared this could be coronavirus! The symptoms suggest its a dry cough with fever for this virus but I have no fever yet!

Before I went to Thailand I had a cough and throughout my time there as due to air con etc! Could this chesty cough be a change of temp from a hot country to a cold one?

Im really scared its coronavirus!
    I'd say that's a cough you already had, you said you had one before you went to Thailand?

I heard on the news on the radio in the car this morning that infected people in the UK have so far enjoyed a 100% recovery rate.

You need to take medical advice if you have been in an area where there are active covid-19 cases neverendingstory - but theres no need to panic even if were to have it, with a recovery rate of higher than the standard flu (and 100 percent recovery of the British people who had it as anxietyJoe points out) it isn't the 'deadly' illness that is being portrayed.

GOing back to the 'Injuns' and Flips' (urrrrgh Charlie!!!really) I think some of the things you say are really based on major sterotypes and generalisations - having been on a cruise (with Princess as it happens) I can say that most of our crew were from central Europe, even though some were Asian descent. They worked the cruise ships as it paid well in comparison to what they could be earning on land.

Page 74 of 384 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124174 ... LastLast

Thread Information