Page 78 of 384 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128178 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus worries?

Re: Coronavirus worries?

I can't see Huawei smartphones being destroyed because of contamination fears..

the media are vultures.
    I forgot I wanted to comment on this, from a few pages back. The media are a monster of 'our' own creation, they exist in the form they do because of the insatiable desire 'we' have for anything they find out. Whilst people still read and click and choose to engage with dubious media sources, then they are complicit in the activities of and condoning the morals that these news sources display. One can't read the DM (and the like) on one hand, and then bemoan how 'awful the media are' in so many respects.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    It originated, that they know at this point (though it seems the exact species isn't quite confirmed but possibly a pangolin), from wild illegal poached animals stuffed into cages in a market and sold for their 'medicinal' scales and meat. The virus was breathed into the respiratory system of those working there. Its not a gastric illness, and neither do we eat/sell illegally poached pangolins and keep them in hideous conditions in markets for human consumption in this country. I think whilst 'xenophobic' (and I agree its not racist) was a comment that maybe doesn't apply in the case of the fear of Chinese food, its a step people shouldn't be taking (fearing their food and presence) towards ostracising the Chinese community in this country through ignorance.
    Beautifully put, Carys. It's all these small things that can make life harder for minorities, particularly within the current political climate.

I forgot I wanted to comment on this, from a few pages back. The media are a monster of 'our' own creation, they exist in the form they do because of the insatiable desire 'we' have for anything they find out. Whilst people still read and click and choose to engage with dubious media sources, then they are complicit in the activities of and condoning the morals that these news sources display. One can't read the DM (and the like) on one hand, and then bemoan how 'awful the media are' in so many respects.
    The Sun and the DM are the most popular newspapers around so why are they going to change their approach to reporting "news"?

They aren't - whilst people still read it, and thirst for their approach.

But if you take out the issues with demonization in political terms the rest is about things like health scares and celebs. I think most people who read a paper like this will be doing so to have a laugh at the daft things that go in the world or to see what outfit a celeb is wearing or who they are sleeping with. The side bar on the DM site is pure celeb stuff no matter what story you are reading.

It's only places like NMP where there are people afraid of some health issue. Most people read them and internally their dialogue is "the SM, at it again!".

The same as why people read left leaning papers. It doesn't mean they by into the nonsense The Guardian like to shoehorn in like 'Strictly Come Dancing is racist'.

But I do think the media need to be clamped down in when stirring things up. Especially anything political that may empower bigots.

It originated, that they know at this point (though it seems the exact species isn't quite confirmed but possibly a pangolin), from wild illegal poached animals stuffed into cages in a market and sold for their 'medicinal' scales and meat. The virus was breathed into the respiratory system of those working there. Its not a gastric illness, and neither do we eat/sell illegally poached pangolins and keep them in hideous conditions in markets for human consumption in this country. I think whilst 'xenophobic' (and I agree its not racist) was a comment that maybe doesn't apply in the case of the fear of Chinese food, its a step people shouldn't be taking (fearing their food and presence) towards ostracising the Chinese community in this country through ignorance.
    No they shouldn't and Chinese food here isn't Chinese food from a restaurant in the affected areas of China.

But I think people should be careful with certain terms because they are used as online weapons and used too easily in places like Twitter that have led to more annoyance and backlash because people are wrongly accused to shut down debate. A daft comment due to an irrational fear is a long way away from bigotry during a crisis and the subject was food not people.

Yes, it does all give bigots more reason to be vocal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunflower318 View Post
    So instead of answering you wrote that Fishman? Is it that hard to answer?
    Sorry Sunflower, no offence intended. I should have elaborated but Brexit is a monumental subject that has divided the UK like nothing I can remember in my lifetime. For the record I though we were better being united with Europe but there you go.

oops that was me

Coronavirus in numbers/facts (COVID-19)

Just thought I would add a post about the realities of coronavirus..... the facts and not the scaremongering from the media and gossip

Any worries about coronavirus posted on this thread will still be moved to the coronavirus post in the misc forum....they are not for this post.

This post is not complete yet, i will continue to add information to it

What is Coronavirus??

A coronavirus is a type of virus. As a group, coronaviruses are common across the world. Typical symptoms of coronavirus include fever and a cough that may progress to a severe pneumonia causing shortness of breath and breathing difficulties.

Generally, coronavirus can cause more severe symptoms in people with weakened immune systems, older people, and those with long-term conditions like diabetes, cancer and chronic lung disease.
    Novel coronavirus (COVID-19) is a new strain of coronavirus first identified in Wuhan City, China.

Corona Virus in numbers…..

Worldwide!

There are 75,77,130,400 people in the world

There have been 69,289 cases of corona virus in the world

That means 0.000914449090119922% of the worlds population have been diagnosed with corona virus

There have been 1,671 deaths from Corona virus worldwide…

That is 0.00002205320367721268% of people who have died worldwide

In China..

There are 1439323776 people in china

There has been 68,509 cases of coronavirus in China

That means only 0.00000475980464870747% of people in china have been diagnosed

There have been 1666 corona virus deaths in China

That is only 0.00011574880008096246% of the entire population of China

UK

There are 67754718 people in the uk

There have been 9 people in England have tested positive for coronavirus

0.000013283207820302638 % of people in the UK have been diagnosed with corona virus

There have been 0 deaths in the UK due to Corona virus

That is 0.0000 recuring % of the uk population who have died in the uk

USA

There are 330,287,711 people in the United states

There have been 15 people diagnosed with coronavirus in USA

That is 0.00000454149503612624 of all the people in the USA

There have been 0 deaths in the USA due to coronavirus

That is 0.0000 recuring % of the uk population who have died in the USA

The important numbers for people in the UK ......

99.9999867168% of people in the UK have NOT been diagnosed with coronavirus

100% of people in the UK have not died from coronavirus

The important numbers for people in the USA.......

99.9999954585% of the entire population have NOT been diagnosed with coronavirus

100% of people in the UK have not died from coronavirus

The important numbers for China

99.9999952402% of the population of China have NOT been diagnosed with coronavirus

99.9998842512% of the population of China have NOT died of coronavirus

The important numbers worldwide.....

99.9990855509% of people worldwide have NOT been diagnosed with coronavirus

99.9999779468% of people worldwide have NOT died from coronavirus
    Last edited by venusbluejeans; 17-02-20 at 00:10.

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Page 78 of 384 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128178 ... LastLast

Thread Information