Page 96 of 384 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106146196 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus worries?

Re: Coronavirus worries?

Quote Originally Posted by jray23 View Post
    And one more factual note:

Two weeks ago there were 45,000 cases. There are 30,000 recovered now. Which means that the majority of cases completely recover within two weeks, similar to any other common flu or respiratory virus (other than maybe the common cold but even those sometimes take a few weeks to completely recover from).

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    I'm convinced I had it. So is my brother. We had a flu that wasn't like a flu and it lasted 3 weeks for me. A few people in my circle had it. All said it wasn't a normal flu. My friends daughter had to be treated in hospital, but this was before they were testing for it. Her mom had it and was messed up for a while - she's older.

And one more factual note:

Two weeks ago there were 45,000 cases. There are 30,000 recovered now. Which means that the majority of cases completely recover within two weeks, similar to any other common flu or respiratory virus (other than maybe the common cold but even those sometimes take a few weeks to completely recover from).

And there is even worse - Man Flu!

I think this kind of manipulation happens a lot, but I don't think it is manipulation this time. The markets, in my mind, should rationally be falling as there is significant short-term risk of things like production delays, transportation problems, etc in many industries due to quarantine zones. And the travel industry is taking a huge hit on business (see, the poster skipping that trip to Rome). All of these things add up to the possibility of a slower economy in the short term, and that's enough to drive things down. But it can't be a long-term disruption. If the virus does spread globally and commonly, everyone will just resume normal life and there will no longer be any quarantining.

I think, give it a couple more weeks, and it will be a great time for anybody with cash to spare to buy. Obviously don't risk essential money because it's still a gamble no matter what for us ordinary folk.

The problem for some countries in Europe is more that they were already skirting recession so it's the last thing they needed. For instance, Germany who trade a lot with China and are seeing falling sales due to the disruption caused.

Things will always bounce back though and hopefully any affected countries will see a short one quarter slight dip into recession. But no doubt the sharks will be circling the stock market as they will with any disaster.

The stock market is very sensitive to speeches made by politicians. All it takes is for one to say things are great and voila confidence is boosted and up goes the value. We saw a lot of this with Brexit where the PM would make a speech, business would feel slightly better and the pound would rise. Just another example why we need less rubbish politicians saying daft things that affect our international trade without them even realising it.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    And there is even worse - Man Flu!
    Back in the day this would have been man flu. They have to name everything these days, like storms.

The problem for some countries in Europe is more that they were already skirting recession so it's the last thing they needed. For instance, Germany who trade a lot with China and are seeing falling sales due to the disruption caused.

Things will always bounce back though and hopefully any affected countries will see a short one quarter slight dip into recession. But no doubt the sharks will be circling the stock market as they will with any disaster.

The stock market is very sensitive to speeches made by politicians. All it takes is for one to say things are great and voila confidence is boosting and up goes the value. We saw a lot of this with Brexit where the PM would make a speech, business would feel slightly better and the pound would rise. Just another example why we need less rubbish politicians saying daft things that affect our international trade without them even realising it.
    Remember when Facebook was about to drop off. The sharks took advantage of that and bumped it back up

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Back in the day this would have been man flu. They have to name everything these days, like storms.
    That's true. Some bloke on an oil rig has a tin of beans for dinner then farts and we get a named storm appearing on the news.

That's true. Some bloke on an oil rig has a tin of beans for dinner then farts and we get a named storm appearing on the news.
    We've had this long running joke among family and friends. Whenever there's a storm we just call it "storm Sandra". Every storm is a storm Sandra ha ha.

What are my rights with cancelling my holiday do Eurostar, LNER and booking.com offer refunds? My hotel says non refundable will they change for special cases?

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    What are my rights with cancelling my holiday do Eurostar, LNER and booking.com offer refunds? My hotel says non refundable will they change for special cases?
    that would be a question for those companies. Call them and ask

Legally for insurance isn't this classed as an act of God?

Page 96 of 384 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106146196 ... LastLast

Thread Information