Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Meds or no meds

Re: Meds or no meds

This is all very true, Pulisa. I guess when I’ve had it before I’ve got over it and lead a “normal” life. This time it doesn’t seem to be going anywhere and I don’t want to accept it. I don’t want to have to live with this. I know people have it a lot worse but it feels awful to think this is it now.

Do you have too much on your plate right now? Is there an underlying 'silent stressor' that could be feeding the sympathetic nervous system and keeping adrenaline high?

I found that it can take months for adrenals to come back down again if you experience chronic stress, but meditation can help massively with this. I would also suggest losing the meditation apps as I think they're a bit too passive to be fully effective. My personal belief is that they work better as relaxation aids (not a terrible thing) than a true meditation solution.

And yeah, you may well just be overthinking this too!

Apart from being school summer holidays here is Aus �� yep my husband and I have been going through a very rough patch that has been extremely ongoing so this could be the silent stressor. Everything has been laid on the table though so I thought now things would calm down a bit. However like you said maybe it’s taking a while for my adrenals to settle.

Not to mention the myriad of meds I have been trying in the last year. Escitalopram, pregabalin, now vorioxetine...

Lisa, the thing about meditation is also that regardless of what you are consciously doing it is trying to make changes to areas of the brain. Scientific studies using fMRI have shown how meditation can reduce the fear centre and increase the positive areas of the brain. Not being able to do much to help yourself in anxiety is going to hamper change but what I found was months of daily meditation made changes for me when I was at a point where I was stuck in therapy.

Six months later I found a big shift and I put this down to the changes meditation made. At this point I was able to start tackling the things that were impossible for me in therapy.

On the point Joe raised about misunderstanding of meditation I will add to the reason why people think it's about emptying the mind. That's because the West was exposed to transcendental meditation for decades which does involve this. The celebs all started jumping on this new fashion and it gained ground. Later came meditation based on different influences that look to sitting with thoughts and steering them (and the celebs jumped on this instead). And the transcendental meditation industry kind of fell apart due to internal politics.

Quote Originally Posted by LisaS View Post
    This is all very true, Pulisa. I guess when I’ve had it before I’ve got over it and lead a “normal” life. This time it doesn’t seem to be going anywhere and I don’t want to accept it. I don’t want to have to live with this. I know people have it a lot worse but it feels awful to think this is it now.
    I do respect and understand your frustration and viewpoint, Lisa. I don't have expectations from life and accept that I have anxiety and I know why so I suppose this helps. My opinion is that you could try a whole range of meds and one may help a bit/be a placebo but ultimately meds don't change your thoughts or how you deal with them as you know. Psychiatrists say that anxiety is very difficult to treat with meds (non addictive ones)-I think you have to find your own "recipe" and I'm sure short periods of mindful meditation can play a part in the overall picture of what can be perceived as recovery and maintenance of that recovery. Joe and Terry know far more about this than me x

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I do respect and understand your frustration and viewpoint, Lisa. I don't have expectations from life and accept that I have anxiety and I know why so I suppose this helps. My opinion is that you could try a whole range of meds and one may help a bit/be a placebo but ultimately meds don't change your thoughts or how you deal with them as you know. Psychiatrists say that anxiety is very difficult to treat with meds (non addictive ones)-I think you have to find your own "recipe" and I'm sure short periods of mindful meditation can play a part in the overall picture of what can be perceived as recovery and maintenance of that recovery. Joe and Terry know far more about this than me x
    This part here is quite inciteful, and very true.

And yes, meditation and mindfulness deal directly with the mental dynamic that takes place during anxiety. It allows your mind to remember how to observe sensations with immediate catastrophising.

For example, last night I was watching Oceans 12 (where is this going I hear you ask.....), and there was one scene where a character in the film folds himself into a suitcase, which was then loaded onto a coach. I'm not inherently claustrophobic, but my mind went on an autonomous imaginary tour of what that would be like, and I had an immediate surge of adrenaline. In the past this would have led me down a mental road of trying to imagine a way out of this 'problem' that wasn't actually even happening, and this would have led me to start feeling anxiety. Instead, I kind of chuckled to myself, said a mental 'nice try' and went and grabbed myself a bag of crisps. This is where meditation will ultimately lead you (freedom I mean, not crisps*).

*Chips, in freedom units.

Vegan, organic, low salt crisps/chips, I'm sure....

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Vegan, organic, low salt crisps/chips, I'm sure....
    Or, Pringles.

Vegan Pringles though...

Don't ever watch Silent Witness, Joe....Or go into the espionage business...

Haha I don't think I ever claimed to be vegan.....

Prawn cocktail Pringles......ftw

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information