Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange colour in bowel movement

Strange colour in bowel movement

Haven't been on here in a long time, which is great, but I'm in a bit of a panic state again.

Sorry if this is too much info, but I'm concerned about the colour of my poo
    It's a darkish colour but it has a very obvious tinge of red in it. Today is the 3rd day it's been like this.
    My daughter did bake a cake on Saturday, it was one of those mixes in a box you add egg and milk/water to. I had a rather large slice on Saturday and my bowel movement was normal on Sunday. Had another slice Sunday and bowel movement was red on Monday. I usually have 1 bm a day, and it has been like that on Tuesday and Wed as well.
    The reason I'm mentioning the cake was I thought at first maybe that was causing it. It was called a Red Velvet Cake. Even though my bm was fine on Sunday, after having cake on Saturday. I had no cake yesterday so I thought I would be back to normal today, but no.
    And when I say red, it's not blood. It's the colour of the whole thing, if you get my meaning.

I don't even know if this is a sign of anything serious. I've obviously not googled it in the past, and it's something I'm thankfully able to control nowadays.

Has anyone any thoughts on it? If it was the cake, should I have been normal today? And why wasn't it reddish on Sunday after I ate cake on Saturday?

Re: Strange colour in bowel movement

You've just eaten insane amounts of red food colouring; it'll take a while to pass through your system. No need to stress.

Not to worry! I’ve caught myself off guard when I’ve forgotten beets and other red things, also when I eat a large amount of tomato based products. What goes in must come out!

Positive vibes,

Mouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

...The amount of times I've eaten beetroot and thought I was pissing blood...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    ...The amount of times I've eaten beetroot and thought I was pissing blood...
    It’s never been in my urine, yet anyway! But I always seem to forget that I’ve eaten them and then get that little heart jump before remembering! Especially as depending on what mood my ibs is in the time varies between me eating it and having to remember I’ve eaten it!

Weird, isn't it? Chillies aren't supposed to make it into your urine but the fresh sort definitely make it into mine - ow!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Weird, isn't it? Chillies aren't supposed to make it into your urine but the fresh sort definitely make it into mine - ow!
    Ouch! I don’t think I fancy spicy there! But I have definitely noticed an odour of hot sauce in urine so maybe I just get certain parts? I certainly know it when it comes to the waste of the other variety when I’ve over indulged in spicy though!

oh yeah red velvet is known for turning the poo red as well as red dye number 40 if you haven't had it in awhile, I had crystal light raspberry ice once and a bag of swedish fish after not having red colored candy and drinks in forever, and man I thought I was pooping blood.

Thank you all for your replies - it helped me a lot when I was worried about this.
    Just a quick update that it looks like it was just the cake that did it to me. Everything returned to normal after another day or two. Still can't believe it took it a couple of days to clear the dye out of my system. Must be nasty stuff!!!

Lots of blueberries can turn your poop blue-brown and it can take a couple of days to clear too!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information