Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 year old temps

5 year old temps

I’m starting to worry (like always) that my daughter is almost always at a 99.1ish/99.4ish type temperatures. The last few weeks at least. Is this concerning? Gosh I worry so.

I don’t check her constantly because I don’t want to give her any complex. But I’m getting scared that it could mean something.
    Last edited by Golden; 22-01-20 at 16:46.

Re: 5 year old temps

Why are you checking at all? Has she been ill?

Positive thoughts

No she hasn’t been ill. It’s flu season at school and they aren’t allowed to go if they have had a fever within 24hrs.

She had a tummy bug around Christmas
    And one day she was sent home from school with a fever two weeks ago and tummy aches.

So my anxiety has been high already. I checked her two nights ago because she said she was cold at night and she had a 99.4. And this Morning she felt warmish and she had a 99.1.

My husband always feels really warm so idk if it’s something like it’s normal for her or if it’s something to worry about. Since I’m worrying already 🤦*♀️

Apparently, the temperature that is considered a fever in children is just above 100.00 upwards (which I think is around 38 C) So your reading of 99.4 (and I'm having to convert here) would be a body temperature of around 37.4, which isn't considered a fever. I think to be honest, with body temperatures varying amongst people, that you really do need to know her normal body temperature, it could be that it is higher than 37 on a normal basis ?!

That is normal temperature..... stop taking your daughters temperature. you will know if she is ill

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Thank you! I realized it wasn’t an actual fever I just haven’t been able to find whether or not 99. Anything is considered low grade or if it’s anything that needs to be looked into. Maybe she is just naturally a bit warmer or something.

So I’m trying not to worry too much. It’s hard to find what the actual normal range can be online. I’m in an anxious state in general right now so I’m
    Trying to stay rational!

I only took it because she felt warm and can’t go to school if it’s a ‘fever’ of 100 or more. I just wanted to know if anyone else noticed this with their children’s temps - she is always a bit higher than my son. And I couldn’t find consistency online about what a normal temp range is for children her age.

So it was making me a little worried.

she is always a bit higher than my son.
    There we go then, you know the answer - her body temperature is always a bit higher than your son. Its certainly not in fever range, so I think you can safetly say that it can't be anything to worry about. I will say that also you need to remember that the accuracy of ear or forehead thermometers won't be great, and may not give a true reading - also if you take it at times she is wrapped up, in bed or generally in a warm environment then taking it on the skin or in the ear can be affected by that. What to look for is not if she says she's warm, but if she says she feels cold - as that is when the temperature is rising and feeling chilly and shivering would indicate the fever.

Yes - well at least the last month or so that I’ve had to check her lol but I’m trying to be rational! Thanks

I think you are thinking far too much about that thermometer, signs of the child being unwell would be obvious before needing to check the temperature. When my daughter was little, she would say she didn't feel well, or look unwell, or say she was cold/had a sore tummy/throat and then you take the temperature.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information