Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IBS?

IBS?

For the past three weeks, my stools have been all over the place one moment normal, next looking like soft-serve ice cream still formed but soft, then a bout of very watery loose stool, then straining to go, I do know I need to up my fiber and I am trying to weed out trigger foods, I think also I cannot handle much dairy or sugar anymore. There has been no mucus on my stool, however when I wipe I do have some, I believe I am also in Perimenopause, been having a lot of those symptoms and my period hasn't shown up yet it was supposed to start on Dec 30th, no am not pregnant and no chance of it. I was diagnosed with Gerd. Personally I suspect IBS, I don't have pain, just a dull very mild cramp, but I read that people can have IBS and no pain. A week or two ago I was under a lot of stress and had a major anxiety panic attack, and now am anxious about each time I go to the bathroom what it's going to be like. I don't feel like there is anything wrong with me. I'll be 47 in March, hubby says well welcome to getting older.

Re: IBS?

Well thing about anxiety and IBS is that both seem to go hand-in-hand. As they say...brain-gut connection. So either one can mess with you. On the other hand, there have been studies done that show GERD and IBS are linked, but it's hypothetical. So there is still much more research that needs to be done with the connection of those two issues.

But there is another issue related to GERD that most people don't think about, which can cause changes in bowel movements. Those antacid and PPI medications we take for GERD have been known to have an effect on our bowel movements, much like antibiotics and opioids. I've asked pharmacist about it in the past, because I've had similar issues as well, and they've confirmed that those medications have been known to cause irregular bowel movements (constipation and/or diarrhea), but it's usually when we take them in high doses or long term. Which to me makes sense, because after all, those medications are designed to reduce acid the in your stomach and that's bound to have some kind of effect on our bowel movements.

Hope that helps and btw, hope you have a stress free happy birthday when it comes in March.

Thanks for your reply, I haven't been taking my pepcid as my issue is so mild, I haven't had Gerd in weeks, I just think its not enough fiber and anxiety and possible IBS, I feel fine no cramping, bloating or gas, no fever or blood.

Okay so been having semi-normal stool, went to Costco with hubby got a frozen yogurt nonfat with strawberries on top, two hours later I had very loose stool...I am so tired of this not knowing what my stools are going to be like. Will buckle down and start FODMAP diet

Looking back in my journal from a year ago starting in early 2018 I was having all these issues, it comes and goes depending on what I eat, I do highly suspect based on all the symptoms I wrote down through the year, some even in 2012 when I was under a lot of stress, so as I was saying from early last year I was having these same issues off and on that lasted for weeks, then when I started eating more healthy and not eating the stuff I think triggered my issues, I was fine then I would be like good okay that passed and slack off for months at a time be fine then bam it hits me again with all the issues.
    The bloating, passing gas a lot, wiping mucus, stomach cramps, loose stools, normal stools, straining to go, burping, burning in chest and stomach, feeling like I didn't finish having a bowel movement, feeling full sometimes, then feeling like I can eat a lot, tummy clenching, grumbling, rumbling. I am 99.5 percent sure it's IBS Alternating, (Constipation/Diarrhea)

I also found something interesting as well, I have most of these on the list and grew up in a home where illnesses were talked about constantly and if someone had a cough or something my estranged father would be like oh it's cancer, oh it's bad,

https://www.med.unc.edu/ibs/files/20...-the-Bowel.pdf
    Last edited by Pkstracy; 23-01-20 at 20:40.

Try cutting gluten out of your diet as this can often aggravate the issue.

I did a test in the summer through a company in UK called Yorktest. They do food intolerance tests using your blood. They're pricey, mine was 200+ pound, but they tell you foods that you have intolerances too. I was intolerant to eggs, dairy and wheat (and almonds as well randomly) and after cutting these out my IBS improved. I can manage now and have these things in moderation but might be worth seeing if there is a similar test where you are.

Thank you Wise Monkey and Adam, I noticed that when I eat dairy and things with sugar I tend to have an issue, am slowly weeding out things, Adam we do have tests here in the US, I think you can actually buy a kit and do it at home and send it in and the lab will tell you, I may look into getting one.

Its definitely worth the money. Hope it helps.

Thanks, I'll let you know when I order one, I am going to try the FODMAP first and see what is going on, as I said also my diet hasn't been the greatest, no fiber, fruits or veggies, I used to eat healthily and then slack off then start eating crap food when my depression gets bad I just grab the quickest thing as I don't have the will or the energy to cook.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information