Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone purposely induce a panic attack?

Question Anyone purposely induce a panic attack?

Maybe I'm a loner on this, but sometimes I will purposely induce a panic attack. I don't have panic attacks since the medications stabilized me. At least not bad ones anyway. Today I purposely forced a panic attack on myself because I missed the rewarding experience you get when you're back in control after a panic attack. Not sure if this is becoming a habit, but it actually felt really good afterwards. I don't know if this is my way of saying "I control anxiety, not the other way around". My partner said I'm crazy, but she had fun laughing at me because I told her before hand what I was going to do.

Anyone else do this?

Ps. Other than that I'm mentally fine and doing very well in life at this present moment.

Re: Anyone purposely induce a panic attack?

Yes, they do it in certain forms of exposure therapy but it's in a controlled environment. They may even use something like caffeine to bring on symptoms too.

So, there is so mileage in doing it to overcome it and learn but when it becomes an unhealthy habit for a nice kick of something you feel good after about I think you are moving into an unhealthy cycle of behaviour.

I think you have too much time on your hands why don't you just do something that you enjoy to feel good.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Yes, they do it in certain forms of exposure therapy but it's in a controlled environment. They may even use something like caffeine to bring on symptoms too.

So, there is so mileage in doing it to overcome it and learn but when it becomes an unhealthy habit for a nice kick of something you feel good after about I think you are moving into an unhealthy cycle of behaviour.
    Exposure therapy yes that's where I've seen this mentioned before. I'll monitor the cycle of it. I used caffeine too. Drank a couple of cups of coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra1980 View Post
    I think you have too much time on your hands why don't you just do something that you enjoy to feel good.
    I wish I had time on my hands. I'm preparing to start a new job in 3 weeks as ecommerce developer for a company in Manchester. They're allowing me remote work, I just need to get a telephone line installed which Virgin are doing in 2 weeks. Doing lots of studying and preparing for the kind of work I'll be doing. It's only 15 hours a week at the moment doing fixes and odd bits, but it's a start and I'm sure they'll see how good I am once I start. Also doing the back garden ready for summer. I'm also planning to spray a mural on the back garden wall so I'm also learning to draw.

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Maybe I'm a loner on this, but sometimes I will purposely induce a panic attack. I don't have panic attacks since the medications stabilized me. At least not bad ones anyway. Today I purposely forced a panic attack on myself because I missed the rewarding experience you get when you're back in control after a panic attack. Not sure if this is becoming a habit, but it actually felt really good afterwards. I don't know if this is my way of saying "I control anxiety, not the other way around". My partner said I'm crazy, but she had fun laughing at me because I told her before hand what I was going to do.

Anyone else do this?

Ps. Other than that I'm mentally fine and doing very well in life at this present moment.

I'm curious if you somehow make yourself have a adrenaline surge first. And if you do, how?

Quote Originally Posted by PanickyGuy View Post
    I'm curious if you somehow make yourself have a adrenaline surge first. And if you do, how?
    Coffee and drinking caffeine energy drinks. The caffeine will cause fast heart rate and it goes from there

I've tried to induce panic attacks before in specific circumstances. I was told to by a CBT therapist, to learn that it's ok and I can handle it. What I found was that by giving myself permission to panic, I didn't. I still use that technique from time to time. Congrats on the job

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Coffee and drinking caffeine energy drinks. The caffeine will cause fast heart rate and it goes from there
    Hmmm, interesting. I've never had a full blown panic attack from consuming a lot of caffeine. Usually with me it just causes general anxiety with mild sweaty palms, my heart rate is somewhat high of course, usually somewhere between 90 to 120, but the release of adrenaline is gradual for it to get to that point.

On the other hand, whenever I've had a full blown panic attacks and it hits, at first I get tingling sensations in the chest, a little bit in the arms and most of the time in my left leg down to my toes (Lol, have no freaking idea why only the left leg). And then...BAM! It hits me, as if the floor just fell out from underneath me, or my blood pressure just dropped, false feeling of about to faint, etc, which is the adrenaline surge I talk about. And you know, to put it in another way to similar experiences, it's like when somebody just jumped out of the bushes and scared the shit out of you or a loud unsuspecting noise happens from behind you. And in the moment when this happens, my heart rate goes from something like 70 up to 140 or a 150 or a 160 beats in a instant, they're palpitations of course, and in that instant when it's doing that, I can't catch my breath in that moment until it levels out a split second later to those high numbers. Sometimes my blood pressure might be too high as well, but not always. Of course the heart rate, always.

And so that's the experience I get from the adrenaline surge, and I was wondering if what I just described to you above happens exactly the same way when you say you consume caffeine to get your panic attacks started? As I said, like BAM! Holy "F" ing hell, somebody just opened the adrenaline flood gates! You know what I'm saying?

I can't say I've ever deliberately induced a panic attack, but I did used to regularly expose myself to situations that I knew would cause anxiety as my 'training'. This would often mean a visit to the supermarket as it was still relatively 'safe', my car was right outside as soon as I needed out. However, when it did get too much and I escaped to the car, I would then give myself 5 minutes and go back in again.

Another thing I used to suffer with constantly was night panic, where I would wake up (always around 3-4am) with instant panic. At first I would pace up and down swearing out loud saying things like 'I can't take this' etc etc. Eventually I learned to calmly sit up and allow myself to experience the heart rate (always over 150bpm) and I would deliberately take certain actions like going for a pee, getting myself a glass of water etc. All the time accepting what was happening. This ultimately turned a 20-30 minute experience into a 2-3 minute experience, and now I don't have them at all any more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information