Thread: Worrying without Symptoms

Worrying without Symptoms

I suppose this is common, but do you worry even when there are no symptoms present? My two biggies are breast cancer and brain tumors. I cannot remember a day in the past 7 years where I did not poke and prod my breasts, looking for lumps. I can remember a time when I did not do this. But, it is as if in my mind I am waiting for the diagnosis. I told my husband the other day that I wish I could just have them cut off and he looked at me like I had five heads, and said, "Um, no. They are one of my absolute favorite things." To which I then thought, "great, he will be so sad when they have to get cut up because of cancer." Same things with brain tumors. I am convinced one of my kids will get them and when I know it is the time of day for the bus to come, my stomach gets in knots waiting to notice a change in them, leading to diagnosis. I did start therapy last week and she asked what I wanted to get out of it. I want to stop worrying; I want to see joy in my life. I try to do the breathing exercises she suggested, but my mind begins to race, thinking, "hurry up so we can feel the breasts and find the cancer." Why do we worry when there are no symptoms? Also, does it get worse before it gets better? I guess I felt like therapy was a magic bullet and I would walk out of the first session, feeling great. If anything, I think my anxiety has ramped up. Is that because I am looking at it head on? Is it easier to just be anxious rather than trying to change? I almost feel like if I do not worry, I will miss something...I won't be prepared.

Re: Worrying without Symptoms

Hypervigilance is often a key component of anxiety disorders, travel girl. When you’re hypervigilant, you feel you can’t relax because if you did, the “bad thing”--in this case, cancer or some other life-threatening condition-- would happen. The bad thing takes on epic, almost monstrous dimensions in your thinking. As a consequence, you become paralyzed with fear of the bad thing because it seems insurmountable. Now, the fear is unbearable, but to NOT have the fear means that you won’t be prepared, so the fear seems preferable to not being prepared. It’s a no-win situation, isn’t it?

Here’s the thing, though. As a cancer survivor, I can tell you that all you can do is recognize that cancer is a possibility for everyone. No-one is immune. And if that happens--IF--you’ll be as prepared as you can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachlady View Post
    Hypervigilance is often a key component of anxiety disorders, travel girl. When you’re hypervigilant, you feel you can’t relax because if you did, the “bad thing”--in this case, cancer or some other life-threatening condition-- would happen. The bad thing takes on epic, almost monstrous dimensions in your thinking. As a consequence, you become paralyzed with fear of the bad thing because it seems insurmountable. Now, the fear is unbearable, but to NOT have the fear means that you won’t be prepared, so the fear seems preferable to not being prepared. It’s a no-win situation, isn’t it?

Here’s the thing, though. As a cancer survivor, I can tell you that all you can do is recognize that cancer is a possibility for everyone. No-one is immune. And if that happens--IF--you’ll be as prepared as you can be.
    What an excellent post Beachlady thank you and I'm so encouraged that you're a cancer survivor, there's a few others on this forum as well. I remember a saying which went something like 'you can worry and worry but it won't be what you think that kills you in the end.'

I think we have to be aware have the relevant yearly tests or others if needs be (as we get older), and enjoy ourselves the best we can

I used to have the breast checking thing. Then I read somewhere that checking all the time made it more likely that you'll miss something because you never know what normal is as opposed to something new. After that I trained myself to stop checking all the time. It was really hard, but I did it and you can too. I decided on a date that I would check my breasts each month and did not let myself check at any other time. I've been doing this for about two years now and I still feel sick with anxiety a few days before I have to do the check, but it's way better than what I used to be like. Now I just need to use this technique for all my other health obsessions I hope you get some peace soon.

Worrying without symptoms is a symptom.

Thread Information