Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blood and Bladder

Re: Blood and Bladder

I’m so sorry! Urinary tract cancer is one of my major phobias. I’m sure it’s because I’ve had several blood in urine scares over the course of my life.

Here’s a few things that comfort me when the dreaded urine test comes back showing blood.

1. I have a friend who works as a receptionist for my urologist. She told me that having blood in urine is incredibly common. The docs always check it out to be safe, but she said it usually ends up being nothing.

2. The work up is good for a long time. I saw my urologist just a few months ago because a test showed 3 RBC in my urine and that is now considered too many. I didn’t have to have a full work up this time, though, because the one I did three years ago was clean. Whew!!!

3. I agree, the protocol is super confusing. It even differs between different medical entities here in the United States. The American Urological Association now says 3 or greater is concerning. Yet, the American college of obstetricians and gynecologists suggests that women between the ages of 35 and 50 only get tested if they have More than 25 red blood cells in their urine. What in the heck is that all about? Is it tradition? Is it money? I mean, that’s a huge difference.

4. Urological cancers are usually quite treatable. I know several people who have had either kidney or bladder cancer and are still alive.

5. I’ve gone through this several times and not died of cancer yet.

I hopes this helps a little. Hang in there. You’re gonna get through this.

Thanks for your reply, Debbie.

I have to keep reminding myself that bladder cancer isnt common among people my age (42), especially without a history of gross hematuria. And i tell myself constantly that I dont have cancer unless and until I have a pathology report saying I have cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by UnimaginativeName View Post
    Thanks for your reply, Debbie.

I have to keep reminding myself that bladder cancer isnt common among people my age (42), especially without a history of gross hematuria. And i tell myself constantly that I dont have cancer unless and until I have a pathology report saying I have cancer.
    A friend of mines mother has bladder cancer and she had painless noticeable blood in her urine. She has infusions of chemotherapy into her bladder when needs be and is otherwise fine and well. The cancer cells are contained within the bladder when they sprout up. She was late sixties when she got it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information