Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily anxiety

Re: Daily anxiety

That's very kind of someone to bring your blown-over bin right back to your garden for you.

Yes but you have to understand how it affects my behavior? If I get some work done to the house:
    New windows, Clean windows, Paint windows a DIY service man puts his tool box on the ground = stress.

Before I never had this worry. If they put on the ground the windows are contaminated the window pole the paint the whole lot. Sure I don’t need to get work done every year but if I do?

You can tell me it’s fine it’s not contaminated I understand for the life of a non ocd suffer to move a bin into a front garden is no worry. The problem i start the blame game I told my partner I never wanted the wheelie bin out due to high winds. The lid has actually broken and we now need to order a new bin so I ask was it worth it?
    What I am say is I have had therapy and I am on a waiting list for more now but my worry is no matter what anybody says nobody is gonna make me think that garden is clean? Sure it rains water goes on the ground but for me it’s “forever contaminated “ that’s how it feels. When I go down this path it’s hard for anybody to convince me otherwise I have had that “forever” issue for a number of years. Once I think something is ruined or spoiled I can’t shake it off? So the ocd would limit any work getting done in the house now that’s what my behavior would be?

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    That's very kind of someone to bring your blown-over bin right back to your garden for you.
    Yes but they could have returned it to my back garden sadly my house is open no fence so anybody can walk right in.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    You can move house as much as you want and as much as you can afford (how on earth do you afford it?) but you will take your issues with you and sooner rather than later there will be new problems/germs/imperfections with the latest property. I hope you are offered ACT therapy because it's more effective when you are stuck in a rigid mindset.
    Yes but can I ever be recovered when I believe something is “forever contaminated” I have been searching for the answer for years and no luck. I explained above how it makes me feel. Obviously if I never thought it was dirty than I would be cured but I don’t see how that’s possible when I have this form of ocd?

Most people just learn to manage their OCD, Phil. It depends what "recovery" means to you but I suspect you will never be satisfied with anything less than total annihilation. The aim of therapy would be to lessen your overall anxiety, relax the rigidity and manage the fears with less panic but being realistic about your goals. I think you are a way off understanding this but is it something you could contemplate or is it not on your agenda?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Most people just learn to manage their OCD, Phil. It depends what "recovery" means to you but I suspect you will never be satisfied with anything less than total annihilation. The aim of therapy would be to lessen your overall anxiety, relax the rigidity and manage the fears with less panic but being realistic about your goals. I think you are a way off understanding this but is it something you could contemplate or is it not on your agenda?
    Yes you are right but I hear mixed opinions some people can recover and help others and they no longer suffer ocd or anxiety but others it’s about managing it. Am I being unrealistic to expect to wake up and not worry about bins? I do want some change but it’s very hard. What is frustrating for me is I had a normal upbringing ocd was something I never suffered until atleast late teens/20’s. I remember a time when these worries never crossed my mind I know that’s not the case for some. What I find frustrating is how I developed it at such an older age. I believe it was triggered my life experiences. I mean I will admit I don’t fly due to the stuff i hear on the news I mean I use to fly myself it never bothered me too much but i believe my behaviour is stuff I am learning I Duno where but it’s all about keeping me safe. I do hope the NHS theapry can help

I also think you're going to have to change your mindset if this therapy is going to help you. It isn't the therapist's job to convince you something is clean. That's your job, with advice, techniques and support from the therapist. It's also not your neighbour's job to magically know you have OCD and are very particular about where you want the bin. If the therapy is going to be beneficial, you will have to take some responsibility for your own issues and recovery. Good luck.

Spot on Dying Swan.

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    I have been searching for the answer for years and no luck.
    And that's the reality. Sadly, nothing said here or on the multiple forums you post on will help or convince you otherwise

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks Carys

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information