Thread: Heavy breast, advice please!

Heavy breast, advice please!

Hi ladies,

So as you may have seen from my previous post a few weeks ago, I was worried about a red mark on my right breast while I was on holiday but this has since went away.

I have now moved onto worrying about my left breast (which was also a source of worry a couple of years ago when I found a few small lumps which turned out to be hormonal). I’ve not found any lumps, but it just feels heavier than the right breast. Has anyone else ever had this before? When I was watching tv about three weeks ago, a doctor was advising on the signs for bc to look out for and one of them was one breast being firmer than the other. Can anyone please explain what this would mean? As I’m not sure if this is what I’m experiencing now.

If I lay on my stomach I can feel my left breast more prominently than the right, and it feels lumpier when laying like this but when I feel them it doesn’t.

My Nan had breast cancer in her forties which is why this is a worry for me. I’m going to make a doctors appointment for next week but would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has experienced similar in the mean time.

Thanks 😊

Re: Heavy breast, advice please!

Yep - well, I'll try......'firmer' isn't heavier.

Firmer is kind of like normally pressing into dough (breast tissue) and then it having harder patch/es like feeling a chocolate coin coated with memory foam inside the tissue (no idea why I picked that lol). Or it might not be patches and a much less doughy feeling all over, I believe like er, kind of swollen and harder like pressing very hard set jelly. However, if it was firmer all over you would more than likely have other signs like inflammed areas/skin and other symptoms. I suspect what the television 'advert' was trying to get to was that some forms of BC can cause all over internal tissue inflammation, and in some locations and in some types of BC you don't get an obvious lump but a change in how the tissue generally feels. Hard to know quite what they were referring to, as didn't see the programme.

Being heavier on one side isn't unusual, I am also heavier and larger on the left, and breast tissue isn't symmetrical from one side to the other either - hormonal changes can be more obvious on one side. At a younger age on my 'heavier' side I had hormonal changes that resulted in the need for an ultrasound, all fine. What is important is not to compare the right to the left, but to know what is normal individually in the right and left side. Do any checks lying down first - you can find out on any reputable breast C site about the correct way to do checks using finger tips and the motion to use. I'll see if I can find a link. You are looking for differences to your 'norm' (check from 4-6 weeks previously), but if you are hyper aware from HA then you may start to see things and feel things that have always been that way.
    Last edited by Carys; 26-01-20 at 21:22.

Thank you, that’s very helpful!

The programme was This Morning - I think it was on the health section and someone contacted them saying they’d gone to the doctors after seeing the section on bc after they said about looking out for it feeling firmer. From what you’ve described, I don’t think it does feel firmer I think it’s just heavier as it’s larger as you’ve suggested 😊 I probably am just worrying as I’m hyper aware at the moment. The poking and prodding probably isn’t helping either!

I check monthly usually, just been worrying about this on and off for a few weeks. Think I’ll still go to the doctor and ask her to double check as well to make sure I’ve been checking them properly.

Quote Originally Posted by cry View Post
    I check monthly usually, just been worrying about this on and off for a few weeks. Think I’ll still go to the doctor and ask her to double check as well to make sure I’ve been checking them properly.
    A sensible idea, discuss your worries with your Dr and an examination by her will be a good baseline for you.

Hi ladies,

Back to worrying about breasts again so commenting on this instead of starting a new thread.

Went to see the doctor yesterday about something unrelated and did mention about one breast feeling slightly heavier/firmer. She didn’t seem concerned but said to come back when I’m not due on my period as it’s better for her to check then so I will try and go next week.

I am avoiding googling as I don’t want to end up on any forums that will cause me to spiral, so hoping you can help again as you were so helpful last time. Is it normal for the muscle on one side to be bigger? Again this is the right side and the muscle feels a lot bigger compared with the left. I do try and exercise regularly and with weights so I would expect chest muscles but just concerned about the difference.

I have regularly checked for years, but I just don’t actually know what I should expect the lump to feel like. When I went to the doctors a couple of years ago and it turned out to be hormonal, I had about three pea sized lumps that were attached to the ribs. Would bc be floating in the tissue?

Thanks in advance for any help - it’s really appreciated xxx

Thread Information