Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flu Worries

Flu Worries

Hello everyone,

So a few hours ago I played golf with a friend. We only played nine holes. An hour later he texted me and said he had a temp of 101.2. I was coughing a little bit but he didnt think it was anything serious and i didnt either.

This has me really worried that I will likely get the flu.

I am 28 and my friend is 25 but I still hear stuff about people dying from the flu. I didn't get my flu shot this year.

I felt fine before he texted me but now I wonder if my mind is manufacturing symptoms so to speak.

Can anybody alleviate my concerns???

Re: Flu Worries

You may not even get it - who knows? what will be will be

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    You may not even get it - who knows? what will be will be
    This is true. I remember when I lived with my parents, both of them got the flu and I never got it.

I'm starting to feel a bit of a cough coming on. Nothing serious but I don't think this is the flu. I have heard it can take a couple of days for symptoms to start.

I think I am just worried about it too much. After reading the news about people dying from the flu. It has me spooked.

Actually flu comes on very quickly , a cold usually gets worse over a few days . Have you taken your temperature ? that usually is another sign of flu .
    Drink plenty of water and try to rest . When i got the flu i was okay that same day i went out with my grandson walking and when i got home i was hit by the flu it usually does knock you off your feet suddenly .

But if you are going to get it you will have to just get through it. You're young and your immune system will be strong.

Quote Originally Posted by feelthelove View Post
    Actually flu comes on very quickly , a cold usually gets worse over a few days . Have you taken your temperature ? that usually is another sign of flu .
    Drink plenty of water and try to rest . When i got the flu i was okay that same day i went out with my grandson walking and when i got home i was hit by the flu it usually does knock you off your feet suddenly .

But if you are going to get it you will have to just get through it. You're young and your immune system will be strong.
    I’m just worried about getting a real bad case of the flu

I don’t think I’ve ever had the flu before, how will you know when you get it?

Quote Originally Posted by THoltz View Post
    I’m just worried about getting a real bad case of the flu

I don’t think I’ve ever had the flu before, how will you know when you get it?
    If you are ever stricken with the flu, you will know it. The symptoms are similar to the symptoms of a normal cold virus but intensified. You would also likely have the chills and body aches. The flu hits you suddenly, fast and hard. A lot of people say they feel as though they have been hit by a bus.
    The only thing you can do to try and avoid it is to stay away from people you know are sick, wash your hands often and don’t touch your face. Try and keep your immune system healthy cause that’s the best defense you have.
    You won’t always get the flu if your around people who have it. My oldest had it years ago and I cared for her and did not get it. I have been exposed to other people as well when they had it and luckily did not get it and so it’s not a certainty but there is a chance.
    Stress and worry can have an affect on your immune system and so you aren’t doing yourself any favors by worrying about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Careful1 View Post
    If you are ever stricken with the flu, you will know it. The symptoms are similar to the symptoms of a normal cold virus but intensified. You would also likely have the chills and body aches. The flu hits you suddenly, fast and hard. A lot of people say they feel as though they have been hit by a bus.
    The only thing you can do to try and avoid it is to stay away from people you know are sick, wash your hands often and don’t touch your face. Try and keep your immune system healthy cause that’s the best defense you have.
    You won’t always get the flu if your around people who have it. My oldest had it years ago and I cared for her and did not get it. I have been exposed to other people as well when they had it and luckily did not get it and so it’s not a certainty but there is a chance.
    Stress and worry can have an affect on your immune system and so you aren’t doing yourself any favors by worrying about it.
    oh ok. I will be on the lookout for symptoms. I’m worried about it due to news reports of people dying from it but seems like those people already were sick or were older

Quote Originally Posted by THoltz View Post
    oh ok. I will be on the lookout for symptoms. I’m worried about it due to news reports of people dying from it but seems like those people already were sick or were older
    Yes, people can and do die from the flu but it’s a rare complication and usually happens with already vulnerable people. It’s not likely that a young healthy person will die from the flu. Seriously, there are literally thousands of ways a person could die on any given day. Life is to short as it is, if you spend it worrying about all the different ways you could die, you will never really live. I know what it’s like to fear these things, I know what it’s like to suffer with health anxiety and thinking your gonna die from every known disease there is. When I look back at all the years I have wasted researching symptoms, conditions, diseases and worrying about dying it makes me sad.
    Stop worrying about the flu and start working on your anxiety.

So far today I feel fine. I felt kind of iffy in the morning but now I feel fine. I had some chicken soup for lunch and I feel ok.

I was feeling my neck and I felt a bump. I think its an ingrown hair because I shaved last night. My mind is wandering and thinking it is a lymph node or something due to me being sick.

I have had a lymph node for years on one side of my neck that is currently down ( I would think If were really sick then it would be up).

I have had similar fears before. Thinking an ingrown hair on my neck was a lymph node. I need to get my anxiety under control

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information