Thread: Discomfort at base of esophagus

Discomfort at base of esophagus

Hi, I'm a 60-year-old male who has had acid reflux issues for about 15 years. In 2011 I had an EsophyX fundoplication procedure done to fix a hiatal hernia. That seemed to help for a few years. Then, a couple of years ago, I started having silent reflux (LPR) symptoms again--a chronic dry cough, mucus in my saliva, hoarseness of voice. The doc performed an endoscopy 2 years ago and found that the plastic pins inserted in the EsophyX procedure were tugging on the wall of the lower esophagus, creating a couple small diverticuli sacs. (Another doc said the diverticuli were so small--the size of a pencil eraser--that they shouldn't cause symptoms.)

I had a subsequent scope one year ago; it came back fine, the doc said, showing healing of an ulcer and no esophagitis (inflammation or irritation of the esophagus). So I've had two clean scopes in the past two years. Neither showed evidence of Barrett's esophagus. I've probably had five or six endoscopies over the past dozen years, revolving around this procedure.

However, for the past few days I've felt something at the base of the esophagus, where the juncture is with the stomach and where the EsophyX procedure was done. It's just a slight discomfort when I swallow food, down by the junction w/ the stomach behind the breastbone, and there can be a twinge even when I'm not swallowing food or liquids, but more noticeable when I swallow. The discomfort seems to radiate out toward my central back.

I've made an appointment with my gastroenterologist for this Thursday, but meanwhile my anxieties are tough to keep in check. I'd like to think it's just esophagitis. My question is this: could adenocarcinoma esophageal cancer rear its head just a year after the second of two clean scopes? Does this cancer have to come through a cellular change in existing Barrett's esophagus, or can it originate on its own, independent of Barrett's? (I've not been diagnosed with Barrett's.)

Grateful for any perspectives you can offer.

Re: Discomfort at base of esophagus

Noticed last night that I had middle back pain while eating, a little uncomfortable, but it seemed to go away when done eating. Thinking that may indicate an ulcer of the esophageal gastric junction. See my gastro tomorrow.

Good luck tomorrow

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

thanks.

Hi, did you find out what was causing the pain?
    Many thanks.

Thread Information