Thread: Should I avoid certain exercises because of Palps?

Should I avoid certain exercises because of Palps?

So I'm eating breakfast getting ready to start my workout and i see an article on FB about how your suppose to avoid certain exercises if you have a heart condition. Mainly weight lifting and pushups. Which is mostly my workout. Something about it tightens muscles. My cardiologist says my heart is fine but I just get palps. So thanks to a random article I'm scared to workout.

Re: Should I avoid certain exercises because of Palps?

No definitely dont worry about it. I get palps and have always done weight workouts. Your heart is fine, you dont have a condition so just ignore the article. Palps are super common, I bet half the gym gets them!

Half of my brain agrees with you lol. My dr never gave me any restrictions so I think I'll just keep at what I'm doing. I dont like to do extreme cardio where my heart pounds. I hate that feeling. It reminds me to much of panic attacks

The general rule of thumb is listen to your Doctor rather than random articles or weirdo's on the internet.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Yeah I'm not a fan of high intensity. Although I do play for a competitive netball team and that is a lot of sprinting. I have had palps during a match and thought omggg. You'll be fine. Training is good for your heart!

Thanks e everyone! I think I'm gonna get back to it Monday!

One bit of language that's important here is that the article says 'heart condition'. Palpitations aren't a heart condition. A heart condition can have palpitations as a symptom, but that doesn't make palpitations a condition. Just the same as sweating isn't a fever, even though fever can cause sweating...etc.

Thread Information