The last couple of months I have had a little bump at the back of my mouth that sometimes swells after I've eaten, and then goes back to being flatter after a half hour. The only reason I discovered it is that sometimes after eating I would feel like I had a crumb or something stuck to the back of my mouth, and no amount of drinking more water would make it go away. After this happened a couple of times, I looked in the mirror and saw the bump. It doesn't always swell after eating, and I haven't seen a pattern of which foods cause it to swell yet. I can still see it when it isn't swollen, although I can't feel it like I can when it is swollen.

I went to the dentist, and he says he thinks it's a mucocele - basically a plugged salivary gland on the roof of my mouth. He referred me to an oral surgeon to have it removed, and I have a consultation tomorrow.

I'm not sure what to expect, and I'm more than a bit nervous. Has anyone had one of these removed before? What's the procedure like? I assume they send them off to pathology and you have to wait for results, similar to having a mole removed?