Thread: So this is just anxiety?

So this is just anxiety?

Hi all,
    Today i went to the shopping centre with my mom and after a few minutes i just started to feel out of it. Like dizzy and as if i was walking on air, couldn't think clear and felt like i was going to lose it or something... i always start fearing i will suddenly lose my mind in those moment and never feel normal again. I tried to push through it but i just felt so weird i had to leave... at home i always feel fine again but as soon as i leave i feel very out of it.

Also the day before that i had a job interview somewhere i had never been, i drove there and felt so much panic i felt like i would have a panic attack if i would go inside for the interview.. so i cancelled..

My question is how do i know this is really all 'just' anxiety and panic? What if my brain can't handle it and i'm actually going to lose my mind at some point.. that's my biggest fear.

Re: So this is just anxiety?

Please read THIS.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Sounds very much like anxiety and panic to me. How do you tell? Well, if you're fine at home or in situations where you feel safe, but not in situations you find stressful, that's a pretty good indicator. Panic is the most horrible feeling, but it won't hurt you. You aren't going to lose your mind, even though it feels like it. The most important thing is not to avoid these situations. When you avoid them, you reinforce the belief that it's dangerous, and your world becomes a lot smaller. I know how hard it is, but the more you challenge it by putting yourself in the situation and staying with the panic, the more you'll be able to believe that nothing bad will happen. Take it one step at a time and don't give up.

What Dying Swan said.

Also, no matter how bad the anxiety is, you won't lose your mind. There isn't really a connection between anxiety and insanity, it's all just sensation.

Really the best thing you can do is keep going to the places you experience anxiety in and practice reacting differently to the sensations you're feeling. So next time you go to the shopping centre instead of trying to avoid the sensations, just let them happen and tell yourself over and over again 'I know this is just anxiety, and it will pass'. There is nothing dangerous about anxiety, it's just an inappropriate activation of the fight or flight response.

Also, try and have a think about things that are stressing you or bothering you in life. Friends, school, work, too little sleep, poor diet....anything that causes your body or mind stress can bubble away in the background and start creating anxiety.

Thread Information