Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medication recommendations?

Medication for HA?

Guys, when do you know when the time s right to try meds?

I was on sertraline and then citalopram for a year in 2018 but I hated them. Every morning when I reached for the medicine cabinet, it was like a reminder that I’m not ok.
    I had side effects too...like low libido (I mean, mine is naturally quite low, but this was rediculous!) cystic acne, weight gain and capped emotions.
    I worked hard to get off them, but I crashed out and relapsed badly. I’ve tried low intensity CBT as an alternative to going back on medication, but I’m not really getting better. And now I’m told the waiting list is another 12 months before I can start high intensity CBT.

I have “ok” days and bad days, but lately, maybe due to the pressures of Xmas and new year, I’ve forgotten how to feel any emotion but fear. I feel dead inside.
    I get married in 8 months, but I’m not excited like I should be.
    I want to run outside in the freezing rain just to feel something!

I’m wondering if going back on medication is my only option here? And how do I know if I’ve reached that point?
    Last edited by Limeslime; 07-01-20 at 15:54.

Re: Medication for HA?

Only you can tell if you've hit that point.

For me, I was barely able to function owing to new fears every day. The kicker for me, though, was knowing how much it was harming my husband, who's always been immensely tolerant of my mental health issues. I felt I owed it to him to be the best spouse I could, and if that included meds then so be it.

That’s a really good point Iris! I guess I hadn’t thought of it that way.
    Strangely, my fiancé is very anti-medication! I don’t really know why?!!! But he prefers me not to rely on them. 🤷*♀️

It doesn't have to be a permanent thing - it can just be for a few months while you get your coping strategies back into place.

The thing to ask is whether or not you feel you're basically okay, I think.

Venlafaxine modified release

I’m scared to take my first tablet!

I’ve taken sertraline and citalopram in the past, but came off medication 12 months ago (came off to quickly and relapsed)

My health anxiety plods along on a 6/10 most days. It’s not getting worse but it’s not getting better either.
    but today I had a meltdown in front of the GP and she has recommended 75mg Venlafaxine.
    But what I’ve read about it is terrifying!!!
    I’m sitting here trying to get the guts to take my first tablet, but also wondering if it’s worth it!

I’ve not had my blood pressure checked prior to starting either?!

Re: Venlafaxine modified release

Quote Originally Posted by Limeslime View Post
    My health anxiety plods along on a 6/10 most days. It’s not getting worse but it’s not getting better either. but today I had a meltdown in front of the GP and she has recommended 75mg Venlafaxine.
    But what I’ve read about it is terrifying!!!
    You would probably have been just as terrified by what is written about sertraline and citalopram. Serious issues are rare with antidepressants generally, and SSRIs and SNRIs specifically. Side-effects lists should be taken with a very large dollop of salts as they include everything reported during drug trials irrespective of whether the med could have caused them. For example, several list viral diseases such as herpes as side-effects. Unless there is something very wrong with our understanding of these diseases that is impossible.

I’m sitting here trying to get the guts to take my first tablet, but also wondering if it’s worth it!
    Would going back onto either sertraline or citalopram be easier? If so, ask your GP to prescribe one of them instead.

I’ve not had my blood pressure checked prior to starting either?!
    Do you have heart disease?

Re: Venlafaxine modified release

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Medication recommendations?

I really think I’ve reached that point where I need to consider medication to manage my HA.
    But it’s a minefield! And I feel my HA is more OCD than anxiety (although definitely still both!), so I want to give myself the best chances of finding the best medication first time.

Please could you tell me what medication has worked for your HA?
    Bonus points if it didn’t cause weight gain! (I have a wedding dress that I need to lose weight for!(

Re: Medication recommendations?

This is honestly one to discuss with your GP, Lime.

Re: Medication recommendations?

I have done. She gave me Venlafaxine but having read reviews, I don’t think it’s right for me.
    I will go back to my GP, but id just like to be prepared with some ideas to discuss with her

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information