Thread: Unexplained tender lymph node in groin area

Unexplained tender lymph node in groin area

I'm a 42-year old female. Yesterday I noticed a slight;y swollen, tender lymph node on the right side of my groin. However, I can't think of any reason whatsoever why it would be swollen - no nicks from shaving, I don't have a UTI, etc. Now I am worried I have something like ovarian cancer (or something in my pelvic region) that's causing it. It has to be caused my SOMETHING, right? Has anyone else ever had unexplained lymph node swellings before?

Re: Unexplained tender lymph node in groin area

kmm111

The fact that it is tender is a good sign that it isn't related to a malignancy. And no, it doesn't have to be caused my something. I've had a swollen lymph node in my neck for 2.5 years that was caused by nothing.

Best Wishes

Not a doctor or a psychologist, just a guy who's been to a lot of them.

Idiopathic swelling of lymph nodes is not uncommon, it can happen to anyone. With that being said, sometimes there is a non-obvious cause. The smallest things such as pimples and acne, a cut, scrape, bruise, ingrown hair, etc, can potentially cause some swelling in lymph nodes. And it doesn't have to be in the immediate area, it just depends on which lymph node happens to react in such a way.

I had a swollen lymph node in my breast, near the sternum last year. It was confirmed by ultrasound....it went down gradually over a few weeks. I never did find out why it was swollen. Like you, I hadn’t been ill, had no infections, cuts or spots etc.
    The body is a bizzare thing!

When you say it’s swollen, how big approx? Lymph nodes in the groin can be as big as 2cm in their normal state!

Thread Information