Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Imipramine, have I made the right choice?

Re: Imipramine, have I made the right choice?

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    And you still can't sleep? In the U.S. promazine is only registered as a veterinary drug often used to tranquilize horses for surgery. If it isn't helping you sleep then mirtazapine is unlikely to do so.
    It's only been since I started imipramine on Friday last week and I've been on promazine about 18 months now. Perhaps I've built up a tolerance?

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzlar13 View Post
    It's only been since I started imipramine on Friday last week and I've been on promazine about 18 months now. Perhaps I've built up a tolerance?
    Perhaps, although tolerance is usually slow to develop.

I woke up every hour last night. I am starting to wonder if it's from withdrawing from 100mg of sertraline in 2 weeks. I had similar problems when I came off citalopram.

My doctor wants me to wait it out a few more weeks.

I woke up every hour last night. I am starting to wonder if it's from withdrawing from 100mg of sertraline in 2 weeks. I had similar problems when I came off citalopram.
    Possibly. Was withdrawing that quickly your idea, or your doctor's? If the latter, s/he deserves a swift kick to the posterior, imho. Way too fast, plus unnecessary if switching to another AD (moving to/from MAOIs is the exception). Most people tolerate a reasonably quick cross-taper better than weaning off one AD before starting another and usually get faster results.

My doctor wants me to wait it out a few more weeks.
    Agreed. You're closer to a resolution with each passing day. Quitting imipramine to try something else would put you back to square one and will probably be no easier than what you're experiencing now.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    Possibly. Was withdrawing that quickly your idea, or your doctor's? If the latter, s/he deserves a swift kick to the posterior, imho. Way too fast, plus unnecessary if switching to another AD (moving to/from MAOIs is the exception). Most people tolerate a reasonably quick cross-taper better than weaning off one AD before starting another and usually get faster results.

Agreed. You're closer to a resolution with each passing day. Quitting imipramine to try something else would put you back to square one and will probably be no easier than what you're experiencing now.
    It was the doctors idea. He wanted me to go from 100 mg to 50 mg for a week then 50 every other day. I didn't do that I dropped to 50 and I cross tapered at 25mg for 5 days since I stopped sertraline my sleep seems to have improved. My anxiety seems to be settling except for the odd random anxiety attacks. But it's looking better. Thanks for your advice , it has helped having someone as knowledgeable as yourself giving me decent advice.

It was the doctors idea. He wanted me to go from 100 mg to 50 mg for a week then 50 every other day.
    That's way too fast and this idea of tapering by skipping doses is nutz, imho, especially with relatively short half-life ADs such as sertraline. It tends to set up a yo-yo affect which can be very disturbing. And it's completely unnecessary as accurate pill-cutters are readily available from most pharmacies. The only AD for which it is useful is the SNRI duloxetine which comes in a limited range of doses in slow-release capsules which can't be 'cut' and even them I think cross-tapering to fluoxetine and tapering off it is a better way of quitting.

I was on Trimipramine for ten years. It was extremely sedating, I could easily sleep for 10 hours a night. I had to come off it because it became too expensive. I’m now on Venlafaxine, an SNRI and I’m happier not to be spending half my life asleep! Trimipramine also gave me palpitations and arrhythmia. All of these drugs have side effects, it’s just a case of finding one that treats your problems most effectively and doesn’t cause unbearable new ones. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
    I was on Trimipramine for ten years. It was extremely sedating, I could easily sleep for 10 hours a night.
    Unlike the SSRIs which are all alike in their basic action, the TCAs differ widely in the affect on receptors and reuptake transporters. Trimipramine has only a weak impact on the serotonin transporters and a very weak affect on noradrenaline, aka norepinephrine pathways. Its strongest activity is on the histamine H1 receptor. It is arguably not an antidepressant at all, but an antihistamine which lessens anxiety by sedation, rather than by hippocampal neurogenesis. Doxepin and mirtazapine are much the same. OTOH, imipramine is a very potent serotonin reuptake inhibitor, and potent NA inhibitor, much more potent than venlafaxine which is really only a SSRI.

Hi PDU, hope you are well. This is a little off topic as I want to ask your opinion on a different antidepressant in light of your remark regarding Imipramine that Its strongest activity is on the histamine H1 receptor. It is arguably not an antidepressant at all, but an antihistamine which lessens anxiety by sedation, rather than by hippocampal neurogenesis. Do you think that Mirtazapine works in this way also? I know it has a powerful effect on the H1 histamine receptor, but I was wondering if that is all it basically does?

Quote Originally Posted by Belleblue View Post
    Hi PDU, hope you are well. This is a little off topic as I want to ask your opinion on a different antidepressant in light of your remark regarding Imipramine that Its strongest activity is on the histamine H1 receptor. It is arguably not an antidepressant at all, but an antihistamine which lessens anxiety by sedation, rather than by hippocampal neurogenesis.
    That comment was about trimipramine, not imipramine. Different meds.

[/I]Do you think that Mirtazapine works in this way also? I know it has a powerful effect on the H1 histamine receptor, but I was wondering if that is all it basically does?
    Pretty much, imho. And I'm not the only one to think this (see also).

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information