Thread: Weird Random Thoughts

Weird Random Thoughts

So I am terrified that I’m developing psychosis at the moment. I keep having random intrusive thoughts- just like something utterly random pops in my head and I can’t stop it. For example, today I was out in the car and was driving along when all of a sudden I thought of my uncle. There was nothing that I feel would have reminded me of him, it just popped up out of the blue!
    The other day I was walking up the hill and saw a bunch of paving stones had lost the cement around them and I had a little thought/imagined what it would be like if they fell in and made a hole. I freaked out as I could not understand why I thought this and I feel like it’s a sign I’m going mad.
    I have a diagnosis of GAD and OCD and currently I don’t have any of my usual symptoms. I keep trying to tell myself that this is probably a part of my OCD and a new a day way it can torture me- random thoughts which make me think I’m becoming psychotic- but I keep worrying that it’s not and I’m really mad.
    The thing that makes me think it’s not ocd is that it’s not an actual thought but images or words popping up. In the past it’s been an actually formed thought: what if this is dirty? What if someone I love dies? Etc.
    It’s so new and it’s freaking me out. I think I’m going mad. My family all day they get weird random thoughts which pop into their heads bit they just ignore it but I can’t help but think this is more than just an imaginative, daydreaming brain.

Re: Weird Random Thoughts

The mind is always busy and we don't realise it but with anxiety we start to notice it more and find it racing anyway. Random thoughts are quite normal and the subconscious is constantly on the look out for things to make associations too. It can be very subtle e.g. a word in book evokes a memory. This is all normal.

They call these Mind Pops. The difference qith somehting like Schizoprenia is that these tend to lead into hallucinations which is not what you are describing.

Re: Weird Random Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    The mind is always busy and we don't realise it but with anxiety we start to notice it more and find it racing anyway. Random thoughts are quite normal and the subconscious is constantly on the look out for things to make associations too. It can be very subtle e.g. a word in book evokes a memory. This is all normal.

They call these Mind Pops. The difference qith somehting like Schizoprenia is that these tend to lead into hallucinations which is not what you are describing.
    Hi there Terry,

I actually was hoping I’d see you pop up.
    Youve always been very knowledgable and need some advice.. (this relates to this post)

I have been in a heightened state of anxiety since Christmas. Had a rough year last year after having my baby my husband walked out and the year was awful. My daughter also got sick.
    Anyway not to bore you..

Weirdly I didn’t seem to get overly anxious during the awful time, Christmas came and BANG.. full force.. so much so I can’t remember the last time I felt so bad.

Typical anxiety symptoms for me..
    Bad vision, headaches, worrying constantly, mood swings and worst of all my OCD..
    it has been horrendous and is only made worse by hormones for me sadly.
    I don’t like taking medication so I am battling this unaided at the moment you might say apart from vitamins and some cbd oil.

My ocd I just can’t shake this time.. I’ve had the worst health anxiety which I know can stem from ocd and atm my obsessions are I’m going mad.. have schitzophrenia etc and the usual..
    It’s made worse by the fact as I fall asleep I hear things, conversation between people or random words or sentences that I can’t think of the next morning: I know lots of people get these. I also know if I was psychotic etc my personality would be changing but I still get out, see friends and take my daughter out etc.. and I guess I seem my usual happy self.. but naturally my mines gotten hold of the worry that there’s something wrong with me.. and it’s running with it.

I’m just really fed up.. I’m trying to stop playing out situations in my head, I know lots of People do this and they think about things they should hav said and would have said in conversation and get annoyed all over again.: I know it’s normal but I’m trying to stop that train of thought.

I just am having a super hard time with it at the moment..

I wake up fine for about ten minutes but as soon as I question where all those thoughts have gone they appear .. and I think .. for goodness sake.. like the person above I am always thinking about thoughts and I am so heightened that any sound can make me wonder what it is:: I’m questioning and worrying for what it seems like all the time at the mo..
    my anxiety makes me feel like I’m on edge about to just lose my mind at any moment and I find myself tending and feeling tense al the time.

I am trying to get out to exercise more and change my diet. No alcohol, no smoking etc..
    I need to make that change again to get right but I just need some support and you’ve always been so knowledgeable..
    I know reassurance isn’t what I need as it feeds ocd but I’m looking for w place to start:
    The depersonalisation sucks as I’ll be having a good time but feel like I’m not really there and then start worrying about it..

I just need some more tips.
    Something to start me off ..
    I’ve been down this road before and diagnosed myself before the therapist had even seen me.. I know what I need to do but .. a base to start off with .. would help me ..
    Thank you xx

Thread Information