Thread: Ultrasound results - scared out of my mind

Ultrasound results - scared out of my mind

I have really had a handle on my health anxiety but I seem to have spiraled recently.

I found a hand lump in my foot so made an appointment at the doctors. After about an hour of telling myself I was okay I fell into the negative cancer space.

The nurse at the doctors said it was nothing to worry about as cancer is typically fixed and this moves but she sent me for an ultrasound.

2 weeks later at the ultrasound they said it was hard tissue and said it wasnt sinister and nothing to worry about. They said sometimes these things go away on their own and to call my doctor for the official report in a weeks time.

Just called the surgery and they want an appointment next week with the doctor to go over the results. She said it is routine but I was hoping they could tell me on the phone.

I feel sick, dizzy and hot with panic.

Trying to tell myself this is just routine and it is probably to go over what it is and options to get rid but I cant help but think face to face means BAD NEWS! Would they really make me wait another week for the appointment if it was??

Re: Ultrasound results - scared out of my mind

You’ve been told that it’s nothing to worry about, so please try not to. The reception staff aren’t qualified to explain stuff to you over the phone which is why it’s easier to visit the doctor. Anything unknown can be scary with health anxiety, but this really seems to be nothing to worry about.

If it was bad news, they’d be getting you in to see a doctor TODAY!
    The fact they’re seeing you next week, deffo suggests everything is fine. They’ll just want to explain the results to you in full, so that you understand what it is.
    I’ve worked in the NHS as a nurse. I can 100% tell you that this is normal, routine stuff! As Scass said, reception staff cannot discuss results over the phone as they are not trained to understand what they are reading.

Deep breaths! Everything will be ok!

I agree they'd get you in right away but this is a huge pet peeve of mine... drs need to stop with this waiting and torturing us BS.

I work within the nhs and as everyone else is saying they would book you in to see the doctor ASAP for anything sinister. Possibly they want to drain the area or may need to apply a topical cream to help get rid of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Iridescentunicorn View Post
    Possibly they want to drain the area or may need to apply a topical cream to help get rid of it.
    They should say that then.. it would be easy enough.

As a tech, who works in medical imaging, I can tell you that we are not supposed to give any kind of results to patients in person or over the phone. Even if the scan is all clear/looks good I can get in major trouble by saying anything. Because we are not paid/insured to give diagnoses it is a big no no for us. They are just doing their job. It’s super frustrating, that’s why the doctors make the big bucks I guess

I get that Js, the dr can make it happen though and they don't.

Thank you all so much for your replies it really helps ground me. Reading my post back I recognise myself everything you have all said. If someone else had written it I would be saying the same thing, it is funny how you cant see it the same way for yourself!

I have been feeling so run down lately which doesnt help. I havent posted on here for years but it seems everytime I go through a stressful time or life change health anxiety rears its ugly head.

We over analyse every little comment, gesture, body language and come up with the worst conclusion.

Thanks again.

Thread Information