Thread: Diverticular Disease

Diverticular Disease

Well I had my colonoscopy (for those waiting for one it's not as bad as you think) at the beginning of last week and they found some mild diverticular disease. Been advised to make sure I keep hydrated and eat plenty of fibre. They also took some biopsies for analysis (should get the results in 6-8 weeks).

Trying to be good and also work out what I can eat without any flare ups of symptoms.

Anybody else got this and how do you find managing it?

Re: Diverticular Disease

I have it and they told me not to eat any seeds as they can get stuck in the pockets.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
    Well I had my colonoscopy (for those waiting for one it's not as bad as you think) at the beginning of last week and they found some mild diverticular disease. Been advised to make sure I keep hydrated and eat plenty of fibre. They also took some biopsies for analysis (should get the results in 6-8 weeks).

Trying to be good and also work out what I can eat without any flare ups of symptoms.

Anybody else got this and how do you find managing it?
    That was the only thing that showed on my colonoscopy. The Gastroenterologist seemed quite casual about it and because of that I didn't ask questions about it.
    It was on his report tho to my doctor.
    I have to be carful about eating fibre and fruit as it seems to give me pretty bad gas.

What are your symptoms, if you don't mind sharing..?

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    I have it and they told me not to eat any seeds as they can get stuck in the pockets.
    Do you have to adapt your diet at all in what you can or can't eat..?
    Point taken about seeds as we have stopped using them in the bread we make. The same applies to nuts.
    Stomach and bowel noises aren't great, rarely have been, but as I mentioned fruit doesn't like me much even tho I do like eating it.

All the best.

I can't eat 5 portions of fruit and veg a day - 2 maximum.

I can't eat brown bread or brown rice and don't eat jacket potato skins as they are high in fibre.

Seeds also includes tomato pips, raspberries, pumpkin seeds etc.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I'm still finding my feet with what I can and can't eat. I've been getting a lot of gas and stomach pains. As advised I've been trying to increase my fibre intake. Interesting that you both need to avoid some of high fibre foods. Been having more porridge for breakfast. Wholemeal bread, pasta and rice as well. Been thinking I've tried to increase fibre too quickly hence my symptoms. Definitely also need to be careful of volumes of various things. I've never been great at drinking enough water but really trying to having the 8 glasses or so a day which I'm sure is helping.

Think I need to get better at keeping a food diary to see what road I ought to be going down with all of this.

The low fibre diet is because of my Crohn's though.

Can you not ask to see a dietitian?

I think I do need to ask to see one. Haven't been to the GP yet about that yet but it's definitely a good idea.

One thing at least is that I've had a letter today from the hospital giving me an all clear on the biopsies they took.

Thanks for the reply.

Fibre in what should be typical amounts does not do my digestion any favours.

I'm trying to get hold of a link to a recent study which has found the very opposite of what had been held as a traditional belief that fibre is helpful with diverticulitis. In fact they found the opposite applied. People who would eat more soluble and insoluble fibre were at greater risk.
    Fewer carbs and fibre being recommended.
    The assumption of reducing seeds also is questioned as to its effectiveness.

A combination of IBS and diverticulitis can be a challenge for me.

Thread Information