Thread: Anyone else's stool not round?

Anyone else's stool not round?

Tmi, I know, but I've been having a heck of a time the last few days. I noticed that my stool isn't exactly round like you'd expect.

The last 2 bowel movements I've had both seemed abnormal to me.

The first one was fairly normal, except it was more oval than round. I used some play-doh to model some examples.

You'd expect normal stool to look round, like a sausage. Like this: https://i.imgur.com/aCRSk7V.jpg

But mine, looks more squashed. Like this: https://i.imgur.com/wl3AMxx.jpg Now that I'm looking at the picture, I think mine was even flatter than this.

The second bm (today) was pretty soft and even flatter! It looked like it even had defined edges on it, almost like a rectangle. This is terrifying me.

Of course when you Google flat stool, the first thing that comes up is colon cancer, so now I'm freaking out. I don't want to keep running back to my doctor for every little thing, so I'm trying to calm myself down, but it's hard because I can't even think what else would cause this! Apparently it at one point was a "red flag" indicator for colon cancer, but I've read that maybe it isn't anymore?

The one thing I'm using to calm myself down right now, is that both were fairly soft. I'm guessing that if they did pass by a blockage, they were so soft that my anal exit (sphincter?) would just reform them when they were coming out anyways, right? Maybe my "exit" isn't round? Lol.

I'm just hoping someone else can say they have similar stools.

I'm sorry for the graphic detail.

Re: Anyone else's stool not round?

Quote Originally Posted by Elebis View Post
    Tmi, I know, but I've been having a heck of a time the last few days. I noticed that my stool isn't exactly round like you'd expect.

The last 2 bowel movements I've had both seemed abnormal to me.

The first one was fairly normal, except it was more oval than round. I used some play-doh to model some examples.

You'd expect normal stool to look round, like a sausage. Like this: https://i.imgur.com/aCRSk7V.jpg

But mine, looks more squashed. Like this: https://i.imgur.com/wl3AMxx.jpg Now that I'm looking at the picture, I think mine was even flatter than this.

The second bm (today) was pretty soft and even flatter! It looked like it even had defined edges on it, almost like a rectangle. This is terrifying me.

Of course when you Google flat stool, the first thing that comes up is colon cancer, so now I'm freaking out. I don't want to keep running back to my doctor for every little thing, so I'm trying to calm myself down, but it's hard because I can't even think what else would cause this! Apparently it at one point was a "red flag" indicator for colon cancer, but I've read that maybe it isn't anymore?

The one thing I'm using to calm myself down right now, is that both were fairly soft. I'm guessing that if they did pass by a blockage, they were so soft that my anal exit (sphincter?) would just reform them when they were coming out anyways, right? Maybe my "exit" isn't round? Lol.

I'm just hoping someone else can say they have similar stools.

I'm sorry for the graphic detail.
    Give me time to eat tea and find out the play dough I have had all sorts of shapes and consistencies, but I’m happy to work with you in a way that you can visualise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

The last one I had looked like a rabbit holding two spoons.

In other words, cut it out. Give it a rest. Get a hobby.

Oh dear. You’ve really gone down the rabbit hole with this one!
    Poop changes shape and consistency all the time! Often linked to diet or illness rather than cancer!!!
    Besides, even IF you were to be thinking the C word, you would need to have irregular stools for over 3 weeks before the GP would even raise an eyebrow.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s good to be aware. Not enough people check their poop! But try to be realistic!

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight-mouse View Post
    Give me time to eat tea and find out the play dough I have had all sorts of shapes and consistencies, but I’m happy to work with you in a way that you can visualise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Haha, thank you for the laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    The last one I had looked like a rabbit holding two spoons.

In other words, cut it out. Give it a rest. Get a hobby.
    OK thanks. It's possible my stool has looked like this before, I just never noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Limeslime View Post
    Oh dear. You’ve really gone down the rabbit hole with this one!
    Poop changes shape and consistency all the time! Often linked to diet or illness rather than cancer!!!
    Besides, even IF you were to be thinking the C word, you would need to have irregular stools for over 3 weeks before the GP would even raise an eyebrow.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s good to be aware. Not enough people check their poop! But try to be realistic!
    I hear ya. I definitely fall deep into the rabbit whole once I get going. The odd thing is, when I get past whatever I'm currently freaking out about, I'm usually fine for months. I can live like a normal person, and I often think "what on earth was I thinking?!"

Thread Information