Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips for dealing with Anxiety and Panic

Re: Tips for dealing with Anxiety and Panic

Don't be so pedantic "old wise one".

Maybe i'm not perfect, but i'm damn close enough!!! LMAO

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

What a fantastic post .... that is being printed and kept in my in tray at work and also my bedroom wall at home. I may even carry a copy with me!

Michelle,

Thank you so much for posting this.Even though I am not new to anxiety or panic, this has been great.

I have been doing so well, with all that you have given me. I hope that the new people here, will take the time to read your post and yes print it, so that you can go back to it when your aren't feeling well.

And I always wondered about that tongue thing, wish I had known that before.

Also the diary does really help, and I don't even think twice about doing it now.
    s to such a great and caring person.
    Take Care,
    Believe

I Believe That In Time We All Will Get Better!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Believe; 05-10-07 at 11:04. Reason: spelling

Hi Michelle

Thanks for the info - its good to read others information and ideas.

Have a question - you mention anxiety being a physical response to excess adrenalin....could you please explain this and if this then has a long term health impact on us... just a bit worried i am gong to develop something horrible if i don't control this. Also is this always the case? I don't feel panicky or like am having adrenalin rush - more general worrying, health anxiety and a bit of OCD sometimes.

Have i read this the wrong way round? Could the adrenalin be a response to the anxiety that is when the anxiety is high it kicks off the adrenals? This would explain why only when i am highly anxious i get palpitations , trembling etc as a result of adrenalin. Hope this makes sense - just wanted to understand it better

Thanks a heap SUE x

Have i read this the wrong way round? Could the adrenalin be a response to the anxiety that is when the anxiety is high it kicks off the adrenals? This would explain why only when i am highly anxious i get palpitations , trembling etc as a result of adrenalin. Hope this makes sense - just wanted to understand it better
    Yes, it is a physiological response, brought about from the days when we were cavemen and had to take flight when in danger or hang around and fight.
    These days with all our modern living we do not often get a chance to physically exert ourselves to the point where all those chemicals are channelled effectively, so we are often all het up and pent up and get tense, nervous, panicky etc.....
    The whole deep breathing thing is very effective, but it is making yourself calm down enough to focus on your breathing which I find to be the hardest thing!!

hi michelle
    so uplifting to hear that you can get through this! i have suffered severe anxiety/intrusive thoughts/panic for 10 yrs and have just had to start taking a'd's again. i am going to follow all your advice in the post but can i just ask how severe your intrusive thoughts were (this is a big problem for me), how long you felt your recovery took and did you take any med's? thanks jo x

michelle, what a brilliant post,........and i will have too pick your brains more often when we chat .....xxxxxxxxxxxxx........its people like you michelle that have made me welcome and i want to thank you, i think your the best xxxxxxx have a good weekend.......dawny

Good thread with plenty to mull over.

Negative destructive thoughts are bugging me at the moment, I know they're cobblers but I can't seem to shift them from my mind or stop worrying about them.

It's the usual 'what if' stuff. I seem to get stuck even though I've had this feeling many times before and I've never done anything bad or even come close. I still find it hard to dismiss the thoughts and move on. I'm not thick but I seem to struggle to accept the obvious.

Anyone got any bright ideas?

Cheers

A

hi

ok my thoughts were of harming my children and others as well as thoughts of harming myself , I had thoughts of going mad as well as devil thoughts , they were with me 24/7 even when asleep i had the most horrible nightmares ...... ,my head was constantly filled with what if's and the worst thoughts imaginable .

how did i beat them hmmmmmmm , well i worked on the anxiety rather than the thoughts and I realised that the lower I Got my anxiety levels the less important the thoughts became .

On the days when I didnt trust myself , I told myself that my doctor and my husband trusted me so I had to trust them . and that helped me through the hard times .

Everytime my head told me not to do something I pushed to do it , I kept telling myself to ignore the BULLY and stick with it , Its hard work its tiring physically and mentally but by Doing the relaxation 3 times a day , watching my diet and making sure I dont look back I managed to get stronger and stronger .... sure there were blips and lots of tears , but I always picked the phone Up rang No Panic , let off steam the got on with it ........

Today Anxiety yep i still get it but thats Normal its how i deal with it Now that matters , the thoughts ?? , yep sometimes because of the work i do on the helpline and here its a constant reminder but they dont bother me in the slightest and i am able to dismiss them immediatly for what they are silly thought that mean ABSOLUTLY NOTHING !!

i hope this helps

good luck

Michelle
    But you try farting and see how much attention you get !!!

Michelle,

Thanks for the advice, you really strike a cord with me. I have found that I'm much better when something takes my full attention and imagination - for example a challenging but exciting problem at work. Then I'm confident and seem able to dismiss the thoughts without them sticking. Unfortunately, those periods are followed by the inevitable slack periods and I'm fatigued from the intense activity. Thats when the thoughts pop up and stick.

I like your explanation of reducing anxiety levels rather than fighting the thoughts. That makes sense as I understand that it's the anxiety that makes the thoughts stick and blows them all out of proportion.

I can't understand why I worry so much about doing something I find completely abhorent as this is the guy who will wait for a bumble bee to move on when I'm mowing the lawn rather than just going over it.

I have had a very stressful time over the last 2 - 3 years which resulted in a protracted period of absence from work. Death of father, serious illness to mother, extreme pressure and conflict in the work place - the usual story I guess. I suppose I just need to be patient as I can see clearly the real me during the good times. It's just that once the fear strikes again, I tend to lose sight of that.

Thanks for replying and the advice. It is comforting to know other people have the same experiences.

Cheers

A (father of 1)

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information