Thread: Social Anxiety around Eating out?

Social Anxiety around Eating out?

I wonder if you could shed any light on this and help me get over this.

I should point out that I don't really get anxious, and ma pretty chilled. However the past 3 years, I have had a medical condition with the oesophagus that can make food get stuck (not choking) and it needs to be removed.

This has happened a couple of times when in public, and a couple of times at home. Twice I have needed to go to A&E to get this removed, as it can last up to 12 hours / overnight with an impaction.

I have had a endoscopy etc and the results are pretty good, which also dislodged the food stuck, and am on medication etc.

Now I am sure that this is more an anxiety thing, as eating at home or with one or two people is fine. But when going out with friends, eating out, my mind races suddenly, thinking 'I hope this doesn't happen' and get food stuck, A&E, etc!!!!
    I can almost feel food sticking as i think about a current situation sitting in a restaurant! so am pretty sure that even though nothing is found medically (still having follow up appointments) that Anxiety and my subconscious mind is taking over because this has physically happened before so I am "replaying the experience"

Is there anyway to get over this? as I am sure there are millions of social and eating anxieties out there unrelated, how do you get over this?

Thank you

Re: Social Anxiety around Eating out?

Hello Sid

Can I ask whether you were born with oesophageal atresia or had a tracheo- oesophageal fistula?

Quote Originally Posted by Sid476 View Post
    I wonder if you could shed any light on this and help me get over this.

I should point out that I don't really get anxious, and ma pretty chilled. However the past 3 years, I have had a medical condition with the oesophagus that can make food get stuck (not choking) and it needs to be removed.

This has happened a couple of times when in public, and a couple of times at home. Twice I have needed to go to A&E to get this removed, as it can last up to 12 hours / overnight with an impaction.

I have had a endoscopy etc and the results are pretty good, which also dislodged the food stuck, and am on medication etc.

Now I am sure that this is more an anxiety thing, as eating at home or with one or two people is fine. But when going out with friends, eating out, my mind races suddenly, thinking 'I hope this doesn't happen' and get food stuck, A&E, etc!!!!
    I can almost feel food sticking as i think about a current situation sitting in a restaurant! so am pretty sure that even though nothing is found medically (still having follow up appointments) that Anxiety and my subconscious mind is taking over because this has physically happened before so I am "replaying the experience"

Is there anyway to get over this? as I am sure there are millions of social and eating anxieties out there unrelated, how do you get over this?

Thank you
    You've hit the nail on the head with this little nugget of wisdom.

Your subconscious can't really tell the difference between something you're experiencing and something you're thinking about. If you think about getting into an argument or fight....your adrenaline starts pumping right? If you think about the loss of a loved one, you start to feel teary and sad.

What you have is an identifiable condition that you are aware of. It's something you can manage...given the right circumstances. However, as you pointed out, replaying and catastrophising potential outcomes is causing the anxiety.

The best solution to this is probably self mantra's. Before you go out tell yourself that this happens rarely, and even if it does happen you know what to do. You have experience in dealing with it. It's also possible that when you go out socially you don't have a 'safe' person to help you get to A&E, so perhaps confide in one or two friends and ask if they can be your designated helper for the night, if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Hello Sid

Can I ask whether you were born with oesophageal atresia or had a tracheo- oesophageal fistula?
    I have never heard of these unfortunately and these were not mentioned on my Scope results and biopsies.

This only started happening around 4 years ago, (mid-40's) and never had anything like this ever before in my life? but would like to know more about oesophageal atresia and tracheo-oesophageal fistula?

These are conditions you are born with so forgive me for thinking you may have had them. Problems with oesophageal motility are really challenging although my son appears to cope well with dilatations when necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    These are conditions you are born with so forgive me for thinking you may have had them.
    Yes if its a born condition then I have never had these mentioned previously.

I need to look at oesophageal motility i guess to see what it entails

Thread Information