Thread: Scared panic attack can cause heart problems

Scared panic attack can cause heart problems

This is probably stupid but I just want advice, if anyone knows, on whether panic attacks can cause ventricular tachycardia or any dangerous arrhythmias?

I also wondered if there is a max heart rate when having a panic attack because I am scared when I have a panic attack that if I just keep having more adrenaline released my heart rate will just keep on increasing until it is at a dangerously high level?! I’m presuming your heart can only beat to a certain max?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Scared panic attack can cause heart problems

No. I've had several therapist confirm that panic attacks do not cause heart issues and no one has ever died from a panic attack. And the maximum heart rate is about 220 minus your age, whether you are having a panic attack or you are doing some natural physical activity like running; it makes no difference. And unless you've been diagnosed with heart disease/heart issues, separate from anxiety/panic disorder, there is nothing to worry about.

So does that mean no matter how much adrenaline is released/negative thoughts it isn’t going to increase your heart rate above max?

Quote Originally Posted by AnxiousGirl1 View Post
    So does that mean no matter how much adrenaline is released/negative thoughts it isn’t going to increase your heart rate above max?
    Well it's never happened to me and I doubt mine ever got to my max heart rate with all the adrenaline rushed panic attacks I had over the years. The other thing is that your heart will only beat at max (if the adrenaline even gets it to your max heart rate) for so long before your heart just naturally slows down, but that doesn't mean it will cause you harm or kill you. You just get tired or exhausted, like a marathon runner who can't go no further in a race and drops out because they pushed themselves too hard.

This isn't something you need to worry about. The body is clever enough not to kill itself.

You'd need heart disease FIRST for this to be a problem, it doesn't happen the other way round.

Thanks for both of your replies. It’s very helpful. I know it sounds stupid but I was just worried my heart rate would just keep increasing and increasing with constant release of adrenaline to the point where you would just die.

What about someone with SVT? Does that just mean their max is higher than the typical equation of 220 minus age?

Quote Originally Posted by AnxiousGirl1 View Post

What about someone with SVT? Does that just mean their max is higher than the typical equation of 220 minus age?
    It doesn't matter. All you need to be concerned with is that your heart rate during a panic attack is not dangerous in any way. It's a natural bodily process that is self regulating, so next time it happens to you, just tell yourself that.

Thread Information