Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First day on Prozac

Re: First day on Prozac

Quote Originally Posted by mazza27 View Post
    Thank you. I have never heard of anti histamine being used for anxiety.
    Several antidepressants and anti psychotics are also powerful antihistamines including amitriptyline, doxepin, mirtazapine, quetiapine. Some are more potent than the meds marketed as antihistamines.

I was given one a couple of months ago for labyrinthitis- Cyclizine Hydrocloride. Would that be similar?
    It is an antihistamine, but its mainly blocks nausea. It doesn't seem to have any specific anti anxiety properties.

Thank you. You have great knowledge and it it very good of you to take the time to share it.

Well day 5 on 10mg fluoxetine. Taken 2mg Diazipam on day 4 & 5 first thing in the morning as anxiety has been bad.
    Also upped propanol from 20mg twice a day to 20 three times and still feeling very anxious. Blurry vision at times and lightheaded. Hope next few days will be better.
    thinking of upping Diazipam to twice a day?
    any thoughts or tips ?
    Last edited by Lady Penelope; 11-02-20 at 19:18. Reason: Typo

Also upped propanol from 20mg twice a day to 20 three times and still feeling very anxious.
    Propranolol isn't an anti anxiety med as such. It only blocks the common adrenaline fuelled flight-or-flight rush which can really spook people, but it has no impact on anxiety pathways in the brain.

Blurry vision at times and lightheaded. Hope next few days will be better.
    Both are typical initial SSRI side-effects.

thinking of upping Diazipam to twice a day?
    Take it if you need it, but will you get another prescription if this continues for more than 7 days? You may experience a resurgence of side-effects for a while after raising to dose to 20mg too.

Thank you once again. I doubt I can get another prescription so I think I will have to try and it save it. I am going away for a week on Friday so I know I will need it for the flights, I am planning on staying on 10mg fluoxetine for 14 days in total and upping to 20mg the day after I get home from holiday. I don’t want even more side effects while I am away.

I am planning on staying on 10mg fluoxetine for 14 days in total and upping to 20mg the day after I get home from holiday. I don’t want even more side effects while I am away.
    A very good idea, imho.

Day 6. Tried to start the day without Diazipam but felt very anxious so had to take 2mg. Does Diazipam haVe a cumulative effect if taken every day? I have 9 left so enough for every day until I get home from holiday if I take one daily.
    thank you panic down under for taking the time to read my posts and reply. It is nice to feel I am not on this journey alone. I don’t have anyone I can talk to about it.

Day 6. Tried to start the day without Diazipam but felt very anxious so had to take 2mg. Does Diazipam haVe a cumulative effect if taken every day?
    No. While it has a long elimination half-life, it is only effective for around 4-10 hours and this doesn't change with daily dosing.

I have 9 left so enough for every day until I get home from holiday if I take one daily.
    Cool. Take it if you need it, but only if you need it. If the anxiety builds you can speed up absorption by crushing the tablet with your teeth and holding the powder under the tongue for 30-60 seconds. It doesn't taste great, by this will absorb some of the dose directly into the bloodstream which is much faster than via the stomach.

I don’t have anyone I can talk to about it.
    This is largely why support groups exist. Unfortunately, while a large segment of the population will experience a psych disorder at some time, talking about them with family and friends can be difficult because most have little understanding of them. Most of what people believe is wrong, and that, sadly, also applies to quite a few GPs too, ime.

The other problem is many doctors treat their patients like mushrooms, i,e, keep them in the dark and feed them on BS. Most of the problems folk have with ADs and the other psych meds would be diminished if not prevented if GPs and psychiatrists educated patients about what to expect.

Thank you. That’s a great tip about speeding absorption. I am definitely feeling so much more anxious since I started on Fluoxetine so I am glad I am taking the 10mg and not 20mg. I took it once before about 4 years ago and the side effects were horrendous so I was given Diazipam then to help me through. Once I had been on it a while it worked very well so I am going to power through even though the timing is not good with me going away. Mind you the timing is never good for these things! I am hoping the second week on it will be better than the first but I know everyone is different how they react. I have just found two 5mg Diazipam Left over from what I was given for a surgical procedure last year so I have them for emergency use as well.

The flight is about 3 hours so I worry about that and also worry about trying to act like I’m feeling ok all week when I may not be.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information