Thread: Magical thoughts ruining my life

Magical thoughts ruining my life

I struggle really badly with magical thoughts with my ocd. Last night I remembered something and it’s set me off.

A while ago I read something online about how people where “dimension jumping” and making things happen. Basically they got two glasses stuck a label on one with what was currently happening then one on the other with what they wanted to happen. Then poured water from one to the other. Apparently this was suppose to make whatever they wrote happen.

Then this is where my ocd is flaring up. I keep getting intrusive thoughts where I visualise my self doing this but with things I DON’T want to happen. I’m convinced even thinking about this water pouring thing will make whatever it is happen. I keep trying to tell myself “that’s not going to happen, such and such is unlikely to happen” but my ocd is going “It doesn’t matter because if you jumped dimensions anything could happen”

Please someone tell me how crazy this is I’m so scared these things will happen now. I feel like everything “off” and “wrong” like I’ve caused something already by thinking about it.

Re: Magical thoughts ruining my life

Actually having a panic attack over this now, it feels so real :(

One way they disprove the ability to make things happen is to get you try to achieve something through so you can see how a) you can't do it and b) nothing changes other than how you feel about it i.e. you get anxious. For instance, if I wrote on one of those labels that I will win tonights lottery would it happen? Do I have the ability to change what balls drop out of the machine? No. Therefore how can my wishing, whether I want it to happen or not, can a love one be harmed by me thinking a thought of it or feeling like I have wished it or encouraged it?

One thing to look at with your Magical Thinking is to look at eliminating the compulsions. This will reduce the intensity of the cycle and you will gain more control over stopping yourself being sucked into it.

It can be a hard one to look at because so much of it is lacking a timescale e.g. a loved one may die if I think x but there is no timescale to it so we think we need to combat it continually.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    One way they disprove the ability to make things happen is to get you try to achieve something through so you can see how a) you can't do it and b) nothing changes other than how you feel about it i.e. you get anxious. For instance, if I wrote on one of those labels that I will win tonights lottery would it happen? Do I have the ability to change what balls drop out of the machine? No. Therefore how can my wishing, whether I want it to happen or not, can a love one be harmed by me thinking a thought of it or feeling like I have wished it or encouraged it?

One thing to look at with your Magical Thinking is to look at eliminating the compulsions. This will reduce the intensity of the cycle and you will gain more control over stopping yourself being sucked into it.

It can be a hard one to look at because so much of it is lacking a timescale e.g. a loved one may die if I think x but there is no timescale to it so we think we need to combat it continually.
    Yeah this is what I try to do. I think “well what if I said do X and I will win the lottery” and then I think we’ll that’s stupid I can’t make that happen by thinking about it.

But then I just get caught up what ifs, what if it happens with only bad things etc...it’s so annoying because the idea of making things happen by thinking about them is stupid but at the same time feels real.

I was struggling a few months ago with this same thing about the cups. And nothing I thought of then and visualised with it happened but I still can’t shake the feeling it will this time. Even though I didn’t think of it with the bad thing, I did the opposite on possible so it wouldn’t happen.

If you find yourself having to cancel them out with compulsions then that is one area to eliminate. That just reinforces the validity of such thoughts to exist.

I think one important thing in OCD is overall levels of anxiety. If you cut these down through whatever techniques, strategies, hobbies etc you find the grip these thoughts have eases off and you regain more control over them running away with themselves.

I think Magical Thinking is difficult because there is often no timescale to it so you feel you have to do it for life "just in case". Learning to live with uncertainty is important and not needing that 100% answer. Acceptance work does help with this.

With "what ifs" you could try the positive version e.g. 3-5 good versions such as "what if it doesn't", "what if I'm fine", "what if I can't influence xyz with my mind", etc.

Learning not to react to these thoughts though is very important. The more you move towards giving them a "meh" the more this will fade away as the subconscious will learn through observation that consciously they don't matter to you.

I’ll try the thing with positive “what ifs” instead. Not thought of that, sounds like a good idea. Sometimes I think I don’t even realise when I’m doing a compulsion.

For example when I get a vision of these glasses, to stop it I imagine smashing them. I guess that would be considered a compulsion? and the best thing would be to not react to the thought?

I hate feeling like I have “control” over what happens, which is weird because most people hate feeling out of control. I would give anything to feel like it’s out of my control. I guess I can’t really control thoughts though, so maybe it is out of my control.

Yes, thoughts are not in our control and to seek to control the subconscious will mean being unable to accept things. You can't control them anymore than you can control healing blood flow and many other things. What you can do is change how you respond to the nonsense it blurts out.

Try to see it as a brainstorm being blurting out. A list of possible options ranging from sensible to bizarre. You just reject the bizarre immediately because they are obviously daft things that wouldn't happen. And the more you see it as just a list of things with no more important than each other, a range of options you choose to decide on, the more you see it neutrally.

Yes, if you have to respond to the glasses in a way to negate risk, neutralise risk or cancel something out, etc then it is compulsion. If you feel you have to do it rather than can choose to do it. If you feel you must do it because otherwise something bad will happen. If you feel an urge to have to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Yes, thoughts are not in our control and to seek to control the subconscious will mean being unable to accept things. You can't control them anymore than you can control healing blood flow and many other things. What you can do is change how you respond to the nonsense it blurts out.

Try to see it as a brainstorm being blurting out. A list of possible options ranging from sensible to bizarre. You just reject the bizarre immediately because they are obviously daft things that wouldn't happen. And the more you see it as just a list of things with no more important than each other, a range of options you choose to decide on, the more you see it neutrally.

Yes, if you have to respond to the glasses in a way to negate risk, neutralise risk or cancel something out, etc then it is compulsion. If you feel you have to do it rather than can choose to do it. If you feel you must do it because otherwise something bad will happen. If you feel an urge to have to respond.
    Thank you. You seem to know a lot about OCD/magical thinking.

Have you got any tips for dealing with thinking I’m seeing “signs” for example I might get a magical thinking thought that my friend will be annoyed at me if I don’t do “X”. Then I don’t do the compulsion and get anxious. Afterwards I feel like I can see “signs” it happened. Like if a message they send me is slightly shorter than normal I’m automatically like “must be my fault for not doing the compulsion”

It’s something that makes it really hard to think clearly because it’s like my brain is constantly over analysing every single thing that happens and relating it to the ocd/fear.

Hopefully soon my referral for therapy comes back and I can get some proper help with this.

Terry is the master of logical project planning.

Can anyone help me with this? I’m driving my self insane over analysing everything and contributing it to the fears and compulsions. I can’t stop thinking I’ve caused something to change by thinking about these stupid glasses.

Thread Information