Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Visible blood in urine

Visible blood in urine

Hey there,

I'm a first time poster here, have been reading the forum for years though. Three years ago I had visible blood in my urine when I peed in the midst of a basketball game. I was scared to death, but after a kidney scan and a cystoscopy nothing was found, even though there was still a tiny trace of blood in my urine. I was told blood in urine is a diagnosis of exclusion, and since they ruled out everything I was let go.
    Fast forward three years and the day after a basketball game (not during) I peed visible blood again. It was a physical game and I fell hard on my lower back after being pushed through the ground, but to me that doesn't explain why there is blood in my urine the day after instead of after the game? I have been to the doctor already, and after more than a week there is still microscopic blood in my urine (the visible blood disappeared the same day). I'm devastated, because I now have to go the same route as 3 years ago, which, to be honest, was close to traumatic for me. I'm making an appointment this week with the urologist, doc said she's not worried because of my age (38) but wants to be sure so better safe than sorry.

The reason why I'm posting this is to look for a bit of reassurance of course, but mostly advise how to sit out the waiting? I can't think of anything else, I'm catastrophising all the time and it's hell. Thanks for any help.

Re: Visible blood in urine

I can somewhat relate. Ive been having microscopic hematuria for about a month now.

Your hematuria may very well be due to vigorous physical activity.

I am so sorry Arie. I have had blood, both visible and not visible, in my urine several times. I just went through an episode last year. I got super sick and ended up at the ER. The ER doc diagnosed me with a bladder infection because of some blood in my urine. I figured out later that my problem was a medication I was taking. I do not think I had a bladder infection at all. So, I worried about the blood in my urine sample until I went to my urologist.

My urologist did not think I needed a new ct-scan or anything since the tests I had during my last bleeding episode (3 years ago too) were all negative. I'm almost 60. I'm in the higher risk group. And, my doc was still pretty sure I was okay. Some studies suggest that a through exam is good for at least 5 years. Ergo, you may not have to go through the whole testing routine either, especially since you are so young

As for not worrying, I totally suck at that, especially right now. I said a prayer for you. I hope you will feel better soon.

Thanks for replying. It's always comforting knowing you're not the only one dealing with this.

@UnimaginativeName, I even wonder if my blood left my urine all these years. I believe I read on this forum that some people have microscopie blood in their urine no matter what. Could be leaky kidnes. And yeah there is probably a connection with activity and the blood in my urine. It's just that there seems to so little known about this condition. Hang in there.

@Cptdebbie. It's comforting to know that it's possible to experiene macroscopic haematuria and it turning out to be nothing. I hope this is the case for me and you too. Rationally I know the chance is small, but as long as there is a chance I can't convince myself to think positive. Ever since having children and losing my job my anxiety has been through the roof, and this to me is the worst timing. I will keep you updated if all works out

Well, I have all the tests in march. Ultrasound, colorway dye and cystoscopy. Doctor told me she wasn't worried and that's why the test is far away. I hope she is right and hope I can cope in the mean time.

You really need to tell yourself that you already have the evidence that there is nothing wrong. You have a direct cause for the blood, have experienced exactly the same thing before, under the same circumstances.

When you say 'I can't stop thinking about it', that will become true. You need to develop a new inner mantra, and then make it an outer verbal one if necessary -

'I am fine, I know what this is, I have experienced this before'....etc. Repeat it over and over again if necessary. There's no secret to this, it's just doing the opposite of what you're doing now.

Thanks for the reply, you're right, initially I was ok with it, but now I notice doubt is creeping in. I still have no clue why I pissed blood the day after the game and not the same day. I'm also worried an operation I had when I was young on my testicles is coming back to bite me in the ass now (even though I can't find this as a risk factor for bladder cancer). I assume there will always be unanswered questions in the medical world. I'm assuming the worst to protect myself. Again thanks for the reply, I hope it will work out

Pee doesn't come from your testicles. They make the other stuff.......

Also, assuming the worst does the opposite of protecting yourself. It creates stress which in turn lowers you immune system. Fact!

I have to wait three more weeks before my first test, and today was a bad day. I went full Google today in hope of finding people who had blood in urine the day after a sports game, but there is so little info on this subject. I only found info I didn't need of course. My wife and family are already tired of my constant worrying and I fully understand. Statistically there is a small chance, but I can not convince myself of a positive outcome. I don't know why I'm posting this, maybe for the illusion of some control
    Last edited by Arie12; 14-02-20 at 21:01. Reason: Extra information

Blood in the urine is a symptom of kidney stones.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information