Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breast pain

Breast pain in one breast - cancer?

I’m in my late 40’s and in perimenopause with no regular cycle. I've been having pain in my right breast off and on since September. The pain started a few days after I had a mammogram and ultrasound - which were normal. After I started having the breast pain, my GYN sent me to a breast oncologist who examined me and said the pain is likely hormonal. I have some pain in both breasts, but it's definitely worse on the right. It feels like an achey or burning pain and the pain is not in one specific area. The doc said it was a good sign that the pain is occasionally in both breasts. She said if the pain continues to get an MRI to check for breast cancer. I am going to call her office tomorrow for a follow-up appointment, but I am scared. The pain is mostly in the right breast although I am still occasionally having left breast pain.
    Last edited by jules321; 12-02-20 at 14:53.

Re: Breast pain

Ok I’m officially spinning. I always roll my eyes at the posters who reply to their own posts before anyone else... but unabashedly here I am. I was just reading about inflammatory breast cancer which sounds like a virtual death sentence, and that’s the one the oncologist wants to rule out. My only symptom is pain though, and it sounds like other common symptoms are redness, swelling, and orange peel texture skin changes. Really glad I googled right before bed.

Hi ! I am in late peri with an entirely irregular cycle (64 days longest, 16 days shortest). Your situation is the same as mine, but reversed on the body. I have left breast pain on and off, this last 12 -24 months, I thought it was before a period but it feels more random than that now and at times when hormones are kinda 'low'. Sometimes it affects the right too, but that is always just before the period starts. I had a clear mammo last April, and no other symptoms at all of anything concerning. I will admit the odd left side pain had concerned me in the past (I've had BC myself in the right side and thought it was something related to that, but it appears not), as I used to get breast pain in both sides equally before a period, but in all honesty what can it be other than dodgy peri hormones ? I've had months where is has waxed and waned over a few weeks, and some when it was the week only before a period, I had years prior to that with no breast pain and then before that it was both. The pain I have feels like held water pain, achy, bruisy all over kind of feeling with some parts more painful to the touch. I can see why you'd think it concerning, but after a clear mammo AND ultrasound....I'd be going with your breast oncologist, the absolute expert, and put it down to peri hormones which are decidedly odd things.
    Last edited by Carys; 12-02-20 at 09:17.

Inflammatory breast cancer - has MANY more symptoms than just pain, and by now they'd be really obvious if you'd had this happening since September as it is a fast progressing BC form. These words, you wrote, strike me....

off and on
    You know what they say about 'off and on', and what it can't be.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I was hoping you’d respond. Thank you. I’ve read your past posts about the left sided pain. I bet that was so scary for you when it started given your BC history. Have you had an MRI on the left? I think my doc will want me to get the MRI.

Interesting that you think I’d have developed more symptoms if it was IBC. That’s reassuring. I am not sleeping much from this worry.

I do wonder if my pain is due to an injury from the mammo as the pain started right after the mammo. Perhaps a cyst was caused?

Have you had an MRI on the left?
    No I haven't. It comes and goes and nothing that comes and goes concerns me greatly and I presumed it was hormonal.

When did you have the mammo ? That is a little strange that it started straight after that and in response to it/.......hmmm
    Last edited by Carys; 12-02-20 at 15:19.

Quote Originally Posted by jules321 View Post
    I was hoping you’d respond. Thank you. I’ve read your past posts about the left sided pain. I bet that was so scary for you when it started given your BC history. Have you had an MRI on the left? I think my doc will want me to get the MRI.

Interesting that you think I’d have developed more symptoms if it was IBC. That’s reassuring. I am not sleeping much from this worry.

I do wonder if my pain is due to an injury from the mammo as the pain started right after the mammo. Perhaps a cyst was caused?

I know how scary this all is (been stuck in this rabbit hole for a while) but carys really knows her stuff! I actually saw a breast consultant today and he confirmed again. Anything that comes and goes isn’t cancer. Must keep repeating this to myself! X

Thats kind of you to say that Unicorn, I'm no expert though, just basing my thoughts on people I know and things I've personally been told.

You are more knowledgable than you give yourself credit for carys! You’ve helped me and many others over the years. I’m very grateful to you. Making me see logic amongst the anxiety.

Op I hope you will be ok. I’ve heard being peri comes with a huge range of problems. Such a shame more women don’t talk about it and reassure each other x

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information