Thread: Has anyone stopped Fluoxetine after7 days?

Has anyone stopped Fluoxetine after7 days?

Been on fluoxetine 10mg for 7 days. Side effects are awful. Major panic attacks every day. Been posting on another thread on here - first day on Prozac -and one of the other members of this site has been really helpful and informative.
    i am due to go on holiday tomorrow for a week and I am thinking I won’t be able to go as I feel so bad. Spoke to the pharmacist at my local chemist when I picked up prescriptions today and she said I could stop taking it and pick it up again when I get back from holiday. She said i am on a low dose so should not get any withdrawal symptoms but obviously would have to start all over again when I’m home.
    anyone done this?

Re: Has anyone stopped Fluoxetine after7 days?

Quote Originally Posted by mazza27 View Post
    She said i am on a low dose so should not get any withdrawal symptoms but obviously would have to start all over again when I’m home.
    Not only is it a small dose, but you've only been on it for a week which is nowhere near long enough to produce dependence so you should be fine in that regard. It may take a day or two for the side-effects to subside.

Thank you so much panic_down_under you have been such a great help this week. Think I am going to give up completely with fluoxetine as I cannot cope with the side effects. I had forgotten how bad they can be. I know they would work eventually but the side effects are unbearable even on such a low dose. I really though I could power through but yesterday was the worst day ever with major panic attacks and nausea. I have done a referral for CBT which I found useful a few years ago.
    I notice that you are very active on this forum and I’m sure everyone appreciates your replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Penelope View Post
    Think I am going to give up completely with fluoxetine as I cannot cope with the side effects. I had forgotten how bad they can be. I know they would work eventually but the side effects are unbearable even on such a low dose. I really though I could power through but yesterday was the worst day ever with major panic attacks and nausea.
    Maybe discuss the problems you're having when you return from your holiday as there are ways of minimising these side-effects. Or perhaps switch to another AD.

I have done a referral for CBT which I found useful a few years ago
    Cool. CBT can be at least as effective as ADs. The main problem with the psychotherapies is the difficulty accessing them.

Thank you.
    i am afraid I did not make the holiday. Felt so ill yesterday I could barely get out of bed. I could not get round to packing and could not face the flight.
    hope I don’t have to wait too long for CBT.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Penelope View Post
    i am afraid I did not make the holiday.

Thread Information