Thread: Health Anxiety around MS - Leg Tingling, mainly in Right Leg

Health Anxiety around MS - Leg Tingling, mainly in Right Leg

Hi all,
    I'm looking for some reassurance around some symptoms I've had over the last week, and my accompanying health anxiety.

For the last eight days, I've had a fairly constant 'tingling' sensation, mainly in my right leg (back of the calf), less often in my left leg, and sometimes going up to my right arm and hand. I can feel it almost all the time when I'm sitting or lying down, less so when standing. My right hand also feels more sensitive to the cold than usual, i.e. the fingertips can feel cold and numb after a walk outside which is unusual for me. I've also been feeling more fatigued than usual, even with getting plenty sleep, but know this could be more relevant to the anxiety I've been feeling.

The tingles are there throughout the day, usually for a few seconds each time, they never really go away for say, an hour at a time, unless I'm walking around. I'm still able to jog quite easily without any tingling or discomfort, and my strength is intact as I've been managing to continue gym workouts. It also seems to die down slightly at night when I'm relaxing in bed, or first thing on a morning when I wake up, it isn't affecting my sleep or waking me up in the night at all.

Obviously my main concern here is MS.

I visited my GP a few days ago, who is aware that I have health anxiety, and she didn't seem concerned about MS as the tingling presents itself on both sides, she said it is "vanishingly rare" for it to be bilateral. However it is mainly on my right side which concerns me. She asked me to keep a symptoms diary and to come back in two weeks before referring me to a neuro / MRI, which I guess may be her way of trying to help me combat the anxiety, but I am still terrified that my symptoms are continuing and not going away.
    I've tried to calm myself down with exercise, meditation etc. and had some calm nights but still the next day the tingling comes back, which is freaking me out so much. I'm at my wits end, fearing the worst and don't know how to proceed.

Has anyone else had a similar story or can offer any words of wisdom?

Thank you so much
    M

Re: Health Anxiety around MS - Leg Tingling, mainly in Right Leg

I am going through very similar symptoms. Did you ever get an MRI or did they go away for you?

Hi Anbeq
    Do you have any other symptoms?
    I'm seeing my doctor next week as I have pins and needles in my arms and legs - also occasionally in my face!
    I've had them for about a week on and off.
    Mornings are especially bad.

I have CFS and use a wheelchair for distances. The pins and needles can actually be part of my CFS, but I've never had them before and I've been unwell for 8 years.
    Last edited by Daydreamer99; 26-06-20 at 14:26. Reason: mistake

Have had all of the above and I don’t have MS or CFS the face and head tingling used to drive me nuts.
    The reassurance from my Psychiatrist is my anxiety nothing sinister

In my experience of MS, symptoms seem to affect one part. So both sides being affected could be seen as a positive thing. I think you all need to understand that whilst it can be very nasty, and some people suffer terribly, most people live normal lives and the average life expectancy is about the same as everyone else. Once you accept that, you may stop fearing it and your symptoms may go as a result. Pins and needles are a symptom of anxiety as well. MS is rare, anxiety is common.

Thread Information