Thread: Fear of suddenly going crazy

Fear of suddenly going crazy

Hi everyone, i hope someone can relate to this..

My biggest fear when i feel panic coming on is that i will suddenly lose my mind and go crazy. Somehow i fear that if i stay with the anxious feelings too long my mind will slip away and i'll never be able to think normal again..

It's a really horrible fear, out of all the 1000 times i've panicked about it it still has never happened, but each time it felt like it would.
    I've been reassured by my GP and psychologists that it just won't happen, but the last time i had any reassurance like that was 6 months ago. I even had a panic attack while at the doctors office and the doctor reassured me nothing was going to happen. I can't help but think things might have changed now and i could suddenly get psychosis or something when i panic.

I want to be a 100% sure so i can finally stop fearing it.. How do i know i won't lose my mind? All my anxiety and panic attacks revolve around this fear

Re: Fear of suddenly going crazy

Anxiety and psychosis aren't related. You have all the evidence this is not going to happen. The only thing you can really do keep telling yourself that it's not going to happen rather than looking for external reassurance (this never works).

Also, nobody can be 100% sure of anything, so it's probably a good idea to let go of that way of thinking and just try and live for now.

But fundamentally, insanity doesn't happen because of anxiety, they are not related at all. You might as well worry about developing cancer because it's a Wednesday.

Ankietyjoe thank you

Yes i think it's become a bit of an obsession.. and also the anxiety making me feel dizzy and derealization which strengthens the fears of going crazy even tho that never happens..

I think if i didnt have this fear my anxiety would be much less and i wouldn't panic

Not having that fear is down to you not focusing on it. Even with anxiety, you are far more in control of what you think than you realise. During anxiety fears can enter your mind, that much you cannot stop (it's the subconscious brain looking for an answer), but you can choose how to consciously react to those fears. That's the key to not suffering with anxiety.

Has anyone overcame this fear? I try not to focus on it but it's really difficult. When i get anxiety/panic i feel very out of it and my mind feels dizzy and confused leading me to believe i'm about to go crazy.. I fear that i will never be able to think normal again and completely lose control.. that's my biggest fear

Well yes, I overcame the fear. I didn't say it was easy, in fact it's really hard. However, you need to keep at it for months. You have to unlearn the immediate fear response. There really is no other way of getting over this.

Repeating the same fears over and over again is the opposite of this. You are repeating your worst fears, even though they're not going to happen. As far as your brain is concerned they ARE happening when you focus on them. So focus on the opposite. Tell yourself you're not going mad (you have 100% evidence that you're not) over and over again, for months if necessary.

Its such a common common fear. In-fact google any list of "anxiety symptoms" and on every list of the 1000's lists published fear of going crazy will always be on top of the list.

OCD can make you obsess about going crazy when you have anxiety, and you can start monitoring your mind, your thoughts even you hearing. When the body is hypersensitive it can scare the heck out of you.

But as said above, no link at all between anxiety and going crazy.

Thread Information