Thread: Loss of smell

Loss of smell

Hey, I’ve completely lost my sense of smell which what seems to be the longest viral infection of my
    Life! I have a awful bad taste in my mouth to go with it. Been to the doctors but she just said viral! completely anxious! has anyone else had this? Thank you x

Re: Loss of smell

Quote Originally Posted by Mamaof1 View Post
    Been to the doctors but she just said viral.
    Why would you believe an internet message board over a medically trained dr?

Because I’m feeling extremely anxious and I thought this place was for reassuring people and letting them voice anxieties and fears.

It's also to encourage rational thinking. What has your dr done that you do not trust his word?

Hey, Absolutely nothing, I was just in a bit of a slow place in terms of my anxiety and was just seeing if people had had similar symptoms. Sorry x

Quote Originally Posted by Mamaof1 View Post
    Hey, Absolutely nothing, I was just in a bit of a slow place in terms of my anxiety and was just seeing if people had had similar symptoms. Sorry x
    It’s not at all unusual to lose your sense of smell when you have an infection in the area. Generally the blood vessels in your nostrils swell up due to infection and of course this restricts the sensory receptors in your nose which in turn block out that signal to the brain.

I’ve had it, in fact, most people who have ever suffered a cold have had it as well. It’s utterly common and absolutely nothing to worry about.

Hey gary,

Thanks so much for your message, was just looking for a little reassurance!

Best wishes
    Sophie x

My mom had lost her sense of smell around 10 years ago. No idea why, but she is fine. She had head scans for unrelated reasons, all fine. So it could happen sometimes. But having said that, I believe yours is temporary and due to virus.
    Viruses can cause alot of strange symptoms. Recently my daughter had virus and her mouth was covered with petechia inside. Doc said - due to virus. And indeed, she got better and all went away

Hey

Thanks so much for your message and sorry to her about your mum and daughter and glad to hear they were okay. Thanks for your reassurance.
    X

Thread Information