Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OCD

OCD

Hi all, I am relatively new on here. I am 33 and from Glasgow. I have been an OCD sufferer most of my life with periods of anxiety and depression. I recently noticed your forum and decided to join.

My OCD returned last weekend. It has played up on me in the past in terms of panic attacks and anxiety about my health to a point where I feared a brain tumour if I got a migraine and self admitted to hospital fearing something cardiac if I had a panic attack.

The funny thing is I work for the NHS so I know I am not alone in terms of work friends battling this. I have also suffered depression in the past.

Recently my OCD has jumped on to a new topic to make me feel unease and tense. That is my sexuality. I am a heterosexual male and I only have interest in women that way but my anxiety is doubting if I am bisexual even though I do not have any feelings towards the same sex at all.

I find this has affected me at work and in my daily life as I feel it has made me tense and anxious.

I know some of you on here may have went through similar and I was just looking for some advice.

Thanks guys

Andrew

Re: OCD

Hi and welcome to the forum, Andy

There is an excellent thread here by someone with OCD who has experienced this and it actually LGBT+:

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showth...ective-on-HOCD

I think you have to remember this will likely be presenting in the same patterns as your other anxiety themes therefore you know it's just the latest one. There is no need to look further than you have because the approach needs to be in tackling an irrational fear instead. And whilst someone may be hetero it doesn't mean they don't have fantasies either yet in real life they wouldn't be considered. Anxiety will see these as potential evidence and try to trigger your worrying off.

Hi Terry,

Many thanks for your response and welcome to the forum.

You are right that the OCD is likely to have come back as it has done to me in the past.

I have contacted a counsellor in my local area so she should get back to me next week. As you said, it is more the process of tackling the irrational fear itself.

Thanks again Terry

Andy

That sounds good. It can help having someone to point out ways to investigate these thoughts without engaging in them in a negative manner.

You know who you are and that isn't going to suddenly change now. And you see the fear. This shows how it's another theme rather than real questioning. Rather than discovering something it is just trying to suck you down a rabbit hole of worry where you feel you are trying to combat it or mitigate rather than work through it. So look to the compulsion side of things and see what you can work on to eliminate them and you find it easier to deal with.

Overall levels of anxiety are a big issue with OCD or any obsession based condition. If you reduce the stress you will find this easier to handle and less intense. You will have more control over whether to perform a compulsion or walk away from it.

Yeah, I will see how the therapy goes once that begins. Having some professional insight into this type of anxiety would be helpful. I have had counselling previously for the health based anxiety.

I know who I am as you said and that isn’t going to suddenly change. It is about how I manage the reaction to it and this will eventually pass. Hopefully, the counselling will help going forward.

Appreciate your advice, it has been helpful. My family and friends have helped me through this and depression in the past but felt that speaking with like minded people such as yourself on here would help

Cheers again

Andy

No doing too good guys. I am heavily anxious just now and struggling to keep these unwanted intrusive thoughts at bay, I am on edge a lot and it is uncomfortable.

I know that I am heterosexual and never questioned that before this irrational thought entered my head. Ever since though I am unable to relax as I fear these thoughts are going to turn me bisexual in some way. I know that sounds daft but these thoughts are powerful.

I do still get aroused with females so no issue there but these thoughts are difficult to fend off without anxiety. I know you guys have probably been there yourselves and I know who the real me is but it is uncomfortable.

I am due to see a counsellor a week on Friday but I just hope I cope until then

Appreciate the support of you guys on here

Any advice would be appreciated guys as I am in a bit of a state just now with a panic attack

Sorry Terry, please see my posts below, I am massively overwhelmed and in a state of panic. Tingling in my hands, tight chest etc

Andy,

Has something brought on an increase in your anxiety? With you working for the NHS are you under a lot of pressure? If so work on reducing that somehow whether it's some short & quick techniques like accupressure, tapping or calming breathing to things like visualisations when you are at home.

You know the rational answers, the rest is doubt filled questions from the subconcious (and you fuelling the cycle with conscious questioning) and physical symptoms that feel horrible. They reflect nothing other than an anxiety disorder and how such symptoms make you feel physically ill. Keep your body sensible fuelled, try to keep sleeping and distract yourself with things that fill your mind to keep it away from spending more time monitoring how you feel.

Thanks Terry,

Hope you’re well

Since the panic attack on Wednesday, I have not had as bad a reaction. I am due to see my counsellor next week so hoping that helps.

The NHS have been supportive and I am using apps such as Calm now just for times where my breathing rate increases and I have found it helpful so far.

I appreciate yourself aswell Terry being reassuring that it is my mind and nothing in reality to be concerned about. Anxiety does thrive on vulnerable minds and hopefully through CBT, things will improve in order for me to feel normal and less on edge.

i appreciate your reassurance buddy and thanks again

Andy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information