Thread: Venlafaxine, PMS and headaches/zaps

Venlafaxine, PMS and headaches/zaps

Hi everyone, I haven’t been on here for a while. I was prescribed Ven 3 years ago and mostly I’ve been great. The problem I have had over the last few months though is that a week before my period I keep getting that horrible muggy, zappy feeling In my head as if I’ve missed a dose. I never do, I take them at the same time every day religiously. I’ve also been getting headaches at this time, that could just be due to hormones though. I just wanted to know if anyone else had a similar issue really?

Thank you,
    Helen.

Re: Venlafaxine, PMS and headaches/zaps

Quote Originally Posted by Helenmelon View Post
    a week before my period I keep getting that horrible muggy, zappy feeling In my head as if I’ve missed a dose. I never do, I take them at the same time every day religiously.
    Curious. Hormone changes in menstruation can reduce the effectiveness of serotonergic ADs, but it doesn't usually trigger the zaps, Helen. Do they occur at any time, or are they happening at around the same time each day? How much venlafaxine do you take and when?

I’ve also been getting headaches at this time, that could just be due to hormones though.
    It is most probably the hormones, but serotonin is involved in regulating blood vessel tone, constriction and dilation, and ADs can sometimes affect this triggering headaches. It mostly occurs when first taking the meds, but can occasionally happen at other times so venlafaxine can't be ruled out.

Hi thanks for replying. What you said is kind of what I thought was happening.

I’m pretty sure if I tell my GP he will say it’s psychosomatic!

I take 225mg. 150 in the morning and 75 at teatime. The head zaps are mostly late afternoon. I take a split dose because when I tried taking the whole 225 at once I’d get head zaps after about 14-15 hours later. The GP said he thinks I must metabolise them quicker than the average person. 🙄

I take 225mg. 150 in the morning and 75 at teatime. The head zaps are mostly late afternoon. I take a split dose because when I tried taking the whole 225 at once I’d get head zaps after about 14-15 hours later. The GP said he thinks I must metabolise them quicker than the average person.
    Are you taking immediate-release, or extended release capsules/tablets, Helen?

This is a really interesting dicussion, I am on a low dose of immediate release venlafaxine and have been for many years - on it in total for 21 years (used to be a high dose)! I have noticed recently, I am in late perimenopause, that I have times when I get the 'you've missed a dose' head zaps, and have been unable to work out why this is happening. I will follow this thread with interest.

Panic down under, I’m on extended release but they don’t last 24 hours hence why I have to split.

Carys, I’m 45 and experiencing irregular periods worsened pms etc so I assume I’m perimenopausal too!

Panic down under, I’m on extended release but they don’t last 24 hours hence why I have to split.
    I think you need to talk to your GP about your symptoms to check for and rule out any other potential causes. There probably won't be anything beyond perimenopause, but one of the dangers with psych disorders is odd symptoms are often dismissed as just being the disorder and/or the meds and not followed up. The GP may also suggest ways of reducing the impact of hormone fluctuations on the disorder/AD. Failing that maybe up the dose by 25mg taken at noon for the duration.

Thread Information