Thread: I've lost 7 months to anxiety

I've lost 7 months to anxiety

Hi,
    I'm struggling with what to do for the best right now. I finished my degree in July, a health degree, which obviously now means I am qualified to get a good job that I know I'll enjoy. But I cant do it. I have been engulfed in anxiety since before my graduation, nearly couldn't finish my final placement and needed several extensions for uni work and my dissertation because of various anxiety problems. This has all caused me to use alcohol as a crutch and consequently I always feel crap, tired and obviously aware its heightening my overall low mood and anxiety.
    I dont know what to do for the best. I need to pass my driving test and wanted to make that my focus but feel it's not enough. My partner and I moved out around the time all this materialised and hes losing his patience with me just being sat at home now. I also dont know how to just cut the alcohol off. I'm not drinking to be drunk, but to ease my anxiety , so I'm aware it's a problem. Do I work on that, the driving, do I throw myself into a job and pray for the best? I dont know. I'm so stuck.
    Any advice would be great, thank you x

Re: I've lost 7 months to anxiety

Quote Originally Posted by LF87 View Post
    I also dont know how to just cut the alcohol off. I'm not drinking to be drunk, but to ease my anxiety , so I'm aware it's a problem. Do I work on that, the driving, do I throw myself into a job and pray for the best? I dont know. I'm so stuck.
    Any advice would be great, thank you x
    I remember your threads concerning school. Congrats for pushing through and finishing! Bottom line LF...You really have to stop the alcohol. Self medicating is not the answer. You can't be drinking and driving and my fear would be you cave and quell the anxiety about driving by having a drink which is a big no no. As far as the job? Again, drinking to quell your anxiety will impact your daily functioning and that's not good for job performance. As far as how? If you can't control the urge to have a drink, the simple answer is don't keep any in the house. You don't drive so it's not like you can run out to the store any time you want and your aversion to going out and interacting wouldn't permit it at this point. You're not saying it but your post implies this is a daily thing? You say its not to get drunk but if you're feeling crap the next day then you're consuming too much and it's a problem. I would look into an AA group/mental health support group and enlist your partner for accountability. Finally, you've been suffering for a long time. Perhaps its time to seek real life professional help and devote yourself to healing.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks Fishman. If I have ever had work or a reason not to drink, I dont do it. The trouble has started with all this empty spare time where I don't have a reason not to have a drink, if that makes sense. I have always been the same when I think back, every Friday night has always been YES I can have a good old drink cos I have nothing to do the next day. I am confident that, say if I was to start a job next week, I wouldn't touch a drop cos i know how much it affects me in terms of sickness phobias and anxiety. But since finishing uni the abyss of doing nothing has allowed this to spiral and yes, having a drink most days. Which is why I wonder if the best thing to do is maybe just dive in somewhere, because that will stop me having a drink and obviously improve my general feeling. But yeah, it's a hole I'm in. And I dont want to overwhelm myself in a job, end up having to leave and getting a bad reference/reputation.
    I have been seeing a professional regarding my ocd and she has referred me to a more intensive counselling type of therapy rather than just CBT, but I am still on the waiting list and she warned it would take some time. So guess I'm just not sure what is the best route for me to take. So hard :(

Quote Originally Posted by LF87 View Post
    So guess I'm just not sure what is the best route for me to take. So hard :(
    Ok... well... Good luck on whatever you decide.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

First of all, give yourself a pat on the back for actually finishing your degree. It can't have been easy, but you did it.

Absolutely 100% the first thing you need to do is stop drinking. Stop making excuses for continuing to drink. If you are using alcohol medicinally, it is going to become more and more of a problem. You think it won't, but it will. Absolutely guaranteed. You will not be able to beat anxiety while you're still drinking to 'treat' the anxiety, that's the paradox. It gives you what you perceive as short term relief, but ultimately it will make things worse over time. There is no way around that. There is no possible way you can drink 'for your nerves' and for it not to become an ever increasing problem.

So, in short, take some mental time out now you've finished the degree, and stop drinking. Face the anxiety and deal with it now that you don't have the pressure of University on your back too. This may be the only time in your life where you have the best opportunity to deal with this. If you have to get a job, get a menial one for now. Something that doesn't involve stress.

Thanks joe. Yeah I had the same idea which is probably the best, just an easier job for now. I did have an interview for a restaurant but chickened out. Pathetic really! I've done loads of waitressing but all just seems overwhelming. Serves me right for hiding away and not facing things for so long, I have made it worse. Completely agree, drinking has to stop and isnt helping at all, its making everything worse

No it doesn't serve you right, and you're not pathetic. The things you have done are common with anxiety, but you're recognising it and want to know how to change. That in itself is enough for now, recognising that you want things to be better, and accepting that some of your current behaviour/habits/crutches might not serve you well in the long run.

Don't beat yourself up too much, we've all done a variation of what you're doing now!

Thanks Yeah, I just need to take the leap but every day turns in to tomorrow or next week. Its lack motivation, its annoying!

Thread Information